When you work after graduating uni. HOW much break do you get a year??? (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
When you work after graduating uni. HOW much break do you get a year???

You know how in uni you get the long summer break like (3months). Whats it like working in terms of breaks???

BTW im doing b.econommics and interested in being a financial analyst/economist/big4/etc...

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Don't you have parents or siblings working full time? Not much.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Don't you have parents or siblings working full time? Not much.
Nop I dont..

So I was wondering around how much.

Cause my girlfriend is overseas and I visit her every break during uni and I dont know what it would be like when I work full time...

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Generally in Australia, a full time job earns you 4 weeks of annual leave (20 days) a year. So for every 12 months you work, you earn 20 days off.

You also have sick leave.

Some employers do allow for unpaid leave, but this isn't very common, especially in your fields of choice.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
20 freaking days a year? WTF???

are u freaking srs?
and you want to work in finance xD

and if you think being on top means more time off, then you're in for a big surprise.

more money more problems.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad

are u freaking srs?
http://www.fairwork.gov.au/leave/annual-leave/pages/how-much-annual-leave-does-an-employee-get.aspx

and you want to work in finance xD

and if you think being on top means more time off, then you're in for a big surprise.

more money more problems.
I know right.

Also, just because you earn 20 days of annual leave a year doesn't mean they'll accept your application for leave.

When your working in a high stakes area, you've got to give them plenty of notice and hope like hell you won't be working on something more important than your break. The business have the right to accept and reject when you apply to take leave to stop all the employees disappearing at once or during important times.

I know here at my work (only a small accounting firm), there is basically a policy asking that nobody takes leave after the Christmas/new years break until July when tax season slows down. People -do- take leave, but it's not like everybody gets a holiday in April because it's been a hard 4 months.

Uni's have the most ridiculously long holidays of everybody, and people wonder why they can't get Gen Y to focus or stay at a workplace longer than a year or two!

sghguos

HSC
N/A
http://www.fairwork.gov.au/leave/annual-leave/pages/how-much-annual-leave-does-an-employee-get.aspx

I know right.

Also, just because you earn 20 days of annual leave a year doesn't mean they'll accept your application for leave.

When your working in a high stakes area, you've got to give them plenty of notice and hope like hell you won't be working on something more important than your break. The business have the right to accept and reject when you apply to take leave to stop all the employees disappearing at once or during important times.

I know here at my work (only a small accounting firm), there is basically a policy asking that nobody takes leave after the Christmas/new years break until July when tax season slows down. People -do- take leave, but it's not like everybody gets a holiday in April because it's been a hard 4 months.

Uni's have the most ridiculously long holidays of everybody, and people wonder why they can't get Gen Y to focus or stay at a workplace longer than a year or two!
Im actually getting a heart attack..
Ima stay at uni for 5 years now . Fk my 3 year degree

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

are u freaking srs?
You're delusional, in finance you'll be to busy to even think about having a holiday. If you want your 4 weeks off a year, the finance industry isn't for you buddy.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
You're delusional, in finance you'll be to busy to even think about having a holiday. If you want your 4 weeks off a year, the finance industry isn't for you buddy.
No mr.drifting just cuz im interested in finance doesnt mean I want to do investment banking

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
No mr.drifting just cuz im interested in finance doesnt mean I want to do investment banking
They never said IB.
At my old job work never stopped. The partners and managers frequently worked overtime and on weekends. Once I had to reprint some emails for a partner that were sent on Christmas day.

The world doesn't stop because you want a break. You have to work for years to earn your breaks, and by the time you do your not in a position to leave for 3 months unfortunately.

RishBonjour

HSC
They never said IB.
At my old job work never stopped. The partners and managers frequently worked overtime and on weekends. Once I had to reprint some emails for a partner that were sent on Christmas day.

The world doesn't stop because you want a break. You have to work for years to earn your breaks, and by the time you do your not in a position to leave for 3 months unfortunately.
fuck that shit. Just do a PhD and become and academic.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
They never said IB.

This ! Man do you really think finance jobs offer the 9-5 lifestyle? You will be quite surprised if you do.

Even commercial banking and accounting don't offer this, it will still be 9-7 + job. I know for a fact that some Big 4 accountants and auditors are working 60 hr weeks, i have spoken to various people currently in the industry, not read it off a blog.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
and this kid wanted to work in korea lol.

Australia already has it pretty good with the amount of public holidays.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

then what jobs actually have the 40 hour per week... jeez.

zhiying

HSC
Mate deal with it, anything you can do with a B.Eco will probably require overtime once in a while. There is no grounds for you to expect real world jobs are same as uni -_-

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad

then what jobs actually have the 40 hour per week... jeez.
Seriously?
Pretty much anybody working at a manager level or above in most mid-tier/big 4 accounting, finance jobs would not be uncommon.

I recall most of my managers worked from ~8am until ~6pm and did work in the evenings and on weekends too. 9 hours at 5 days a week is 45 hours easily, before the extra stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)