Unemployed :( (1 Viewer)

ShayK

HSC
I have been looking for jobs ever since I migrated to Australia (March 2011) and now its getting pretty frustrating. I have not gotten a job, despite applying at more than 100 places. Being 19 with no proper job experience makes me feel like I'm a lazy cow :(

I wasn't really interested in doing a job whilst doing year 11 and 12, but now with all the uni expenses and financial problems at home, I just wanna take up any job which eases my family problems.

I have applied through SEEK and other websites. But nothing. Hardly any response. I got called for 3 or 4 interviews, which were group interviews and after hearing people having 5-6 years experience, I know why I didnt get the job :(

Even McDonalds rejected me :O :'(
This is depressing.
Any suggestions.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
What's your resume like? Perhaps there's an issue there.

The thing about applying on places like Seek is that it is very difficult to distinguish yourself. If you don't have any experience and have an average resume you can almost guarantee that you're going to be over looked.

It is often a much better idea to go and hand your resume in personally to the manager, and see if you can speak with them briefly about why you would would like a job with them.

Are you at uni? Most universities offer a free resume revision service which can be be really helpful in getting your resume up to scratch.

ShayK

HSC
I have gone and talked to managers as well, but still nothing, plus half of them tell me to apply online.
Yep, I am currently undertaking Bachelor of Business and Commerce/Bachelor of Laws at UWS Parramatta.
I did go to the resume revision service and made some slight changes, however still no luck.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
What sort of places have you been applying for?

What sort of things do you actually have on your resume? is it laid out nicely?

WeaselPowa

HSC
It may help if you do charity work such as the Red Shield Appeal :)

ShayK

HSC
Even entry-level jobs now need experience :S
I applied at Red Cross and Salvos and they said experience was necessary.

My CV pretty much starts which a sentence objective. education and training. skills. awards and achievements. tonnes of extra curricular activities. interests and referees.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Even entry-level jobs now need experience :S
I applied at Red Cross and Salvos and they said experience was necessary.

My CV pretty much starts with: a sentence objective, education and training, skills, awards and achievements, tonnes of extra curricular activities, interests and referees.
might want to read through it and check grammar, spelling and punctuation... :wink:

just because people have experience it doesn't mean they will get the job. If you have been doing something for 5-6 years it doesn't automatically mean you're good at it. Just talk shit, give examples of even life experience where you have overcome adversity.

write a really, really good cover letter which is position specific as well. even write a separate one for each job you apply for. Make it specific to the job you are applying for and perhaps try it with your CV as well...

also pays to go around and ask in person. Shows you are a confident chap...

But what the f**k do I know I'm unemployed...

Last edited:

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
Keep on trying i tried about 20 places before i got a job at a pharmacy and did not have any work experience what so ever. And in hindsight i would have been a lot less happier if i had got one of the first places that i tried!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)