First job at 18 y.o? (1 Viewer)

Arv21

HSC
Ok so I'm 18, finished the HSC last year and have been looking for a job (ANY job) for the past 2-3 weeks. I don't really have any prior work experience which I could put on my resume (unless you count the volunteer week in yr 10) and I understand that not only am I old and therefore must be paid more but I also started applying pretty late : /

I did get called for an interview at KFC but apparently they 'found someone else' and apart from that, no one else has really replied...

So what I'm asking is if anyone has any advice for how to increase my chances of getting a job or if anyone has been in the same position as me? What I'm thinking is maybe wait till the school holidays are over and maybe some of the fast food places will open up a bit. But yeah... I know it was pretty stupid to hold off getting a job for so long but theres nothing much I can do about that.

Any help or advice is appreciated :)

yoyo987

HSC
I'm in the exact same position. I have applied to a lot of places but no one has even called me yet. I've done a great deal of community service and volunteer work as well. Perhaps after the holidays something will come up.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I got into football (soccer) refereeing just in the past year.

That was fun, I got paid to exercise pretty much, and... yeah. So if there's a sport you're into, umpiring or refereeing as a job could work.

Lina3

HSC
Yup, in same position. Just keep trying, and something will come up eventually. Also, if you are going to uni next year and still don't have a job by the time you start, get involved in more volunteer work and maybe consider getting a job in or around the campus. However, one thing I will say is don't get overly fixated at trying to get work in a fast food chain. Nine times out of ten they prefer a 14-15 year olds as they can pay them less.

pallet_jack

HSC
May I suggest applying for pick/pack or other factory/warehouse jobs. Pay is pretty good and work is simple albeit physically demanding.

SuperMike96

HSC
I've been applying since the HSC ended and haven't received a job yet. Heavy days.

studybuddy101

HSC
Try and hand in your application to the person who does the actual hiring. Some people will say it's superstitious but at the end of the day if that person can attach a face to your resume out of the 100's that flood their desk then (at least i believe) you're more likely to advance through the hiring process.

Other than that all you can really do is give your resume another look to make sure it's the best paper representation of you there is. The more eye-catching the more likely you are to get an interview over the next 15 year old who wants the same job.

If you're applying to entry level jobs like fast food and retail then they don't expect any experience at all so that shouldn't be an issue for you. (focus on selling yourself as you are today, include achievements, aspirations, future course of study if applicable etc)

PM me if you'd like more resume advice

Arv21

HSC
Thanks for the replies guys :D This getting a job thing just worries me because I've heard that even if you have the most prestigious degree from the most prestigious University, you won't be getting employed unless you have previous work experience, which frankly scares the crap outta me. I don't wanna end up on the streets D:

But yeah, I'm starting to realise that Maccas and KFC etc. prefer younger people... I'll try handing in my resume to local shops on the weekend and have a go at some of the other suggestions too. At least its comforting to know I'm not the only one stuck in the same position... (edit: not saying it's a good thing LOL)

Hope you can all find jobs too!

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Thanks for the replies guys :D This getting a job thing just worries me because I've heard that even if you have the most prestigious degree from the most prestigious University, you won't be getting employed unless you have previous work experience, which frankly scares the crap outta me. I don't wanna end up on the streets D:

But yeah, I'm starting to realise that Maccas and KFC etc. prefer younger people... I'll try handing in my resume to local shops on the weekend and have a go at some of the other suggestions too. At least its comforting to know I'm not the only one stuck in the same position... (edit: not saying it's a good thing LOL)

Hope you can all find jobs too!
It's not work experience they want, it's relevant work experience, mostly.

If you're looking for a job just for money, then it doesn't matter. If you want a job with a view to helping your career, you should get in on internships and summer vacation scholarships and things like that.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Got rejected at maccas last month. Now doing admin work at an accounting and consulting firm.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Sometimes you'll have more luck at non chain businesses. Most chains (esp. fast food) want them as young as you can get, but some smaller business prefer you to be 17-18 at least, especially if it's a place that works later nights/is more upmarket.

It's hardest to get the first rung on the ladder, once you get experience in one job, acquiring the second becomes easier.

Arv21

HSC
Would that mean places like restaurants or bars? I've looked into that but most of those places want you to have past experience in food and customer service and have an RSA certificate...

fionarykim

HSC
Try and hand in your application to the person who does the actual hiring. Some people will say it's superstitious but at the end of the day if that person can attach a face to your resume out of the 100's that flood their desk then (at least i believe) you're more likely to advance through the hiring process.
this is really good advice, if you can leave a good impresion on the manager
then even if u lack in experience, the manager may still hire you

The only thing u can do really is just continue non stop applying at places
Ive had alot of work experience, since 15 in like 2 retail stores and also my own private buisness
which is why when i applied after hsc, i had 3 replies

But on ur resume, make it look as professional as possible
and if u dont have work experience
talk about skills and experiences at ur volunteering

Got rejected at maccas last month. Now doing admin work at an accounting and consulting firm.
how did u get that job man?
thats amazing, pay? :O

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
would also like to know an answer to that...

I've even had one of my mates (who works in HR) tell me my CV is top notch... and I just keep getting shafted for some weird reason...

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Around 30/hr
would also like to know an answer to that...

I've even had one of my mates (who works in HR) tell me my CV is top notch... and I just keep getting shafted for some weird reason...
You need da conneshions.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Would that mean places like restaurants or bars? I've looked into that but most of those places want you to have past experience in food and customer service and have an RSA certificate...
Getting an RSA/RCG is really easy. Also barista training is normally only a day's training and helps in getting cafe work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)