Why is it so freakin expensive to live on campus!? (1 Viewer)

yma

HSC
Seriously, rent fee for different types of accommodation ranging from 200-500 per week, I don't know how people manage to afford that. My parents aren't going to give me much financial support. But I really want to move out tho... Are you guise still living at home or out of home?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Still at home (Inb4 complains that I haven't even finished high school)

I think you're better off investing your money into something else, perhaps a car? So that you don't have to be home 24/7

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Seriously, rent fee for different types of accommodation ranging from 200-500 per week, I don't know how people manage to afford that. My parents aren't going to give me much financial support. But I really want to move out tho... Are you guise still living at home or out of home?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you have the option of staying at home why not take it? Your parents are probably already paying for your education and I don't see enough justification for you to move and have them support you more. The reason its expensive is because there's plenty of demand from international students (who's parents are usually quite rich) for housing on campus, plus usually it comes with cleaning and other free things( like internet,etc..)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
If you have the option of staying at home why not take it? Your parents are probably already paying for your education and I don't see enough justification for you to move and have them support you more. The reason its expensive is because there's plenty of demand from international students (who's parents are usually quite rich) for housing on campus, plus usually it comes with cleaning and other free things( like internet,etc..)
On this note:

1.25 to 1.75 hours per way.

Was doing 6 days a week at one stage.

No regrets :spin:

You can opt to travel everyday if you can't afford accommodation. A lot of people do travel everyday. I'm not even in a terrible position. There are some people that travel more than me per day but happily still go to uni a few days a week. If you can manage your time well, you will be fine.

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
But what about if the so called person live 1.5 to 2 hours away from uni.....

But anyways, you can reduce the days that you go to uni, but compress more into each day..... If i had that, i would rather have an 12 hour day, but only go 2-3 days a week

QZP

HSC
On this note:

1.25 to 1.75 hours per way.

Was doing 6 days a week at one stage.

No regrets :spin:

You can opt to travel everyday if you can't afford accommodation. A lot of people do travel everyday. I'm not even in a terrible position. There are some people that travel more than me per day but happily still go to uni a few days a week. If you can manage your time well, you will be fine.
Isn't travelling so much to/from uni boring as hell? That's one of the reasons I'm afraid to go to UNSW as opposed to UTS which would reduce the travel time per way from 1.5 hours to around 1hour.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Isn't travelling so much to/from uni boring as hell? That's one of the reasons I'm afraid to go to UNSW as opposed to UTS which would reduce the travel time per way from 1.5 hours to around 1hour.
lol

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Coz if unis can charge outrageous fees to loaded up intos, sure why not. Win for the uni

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Nah I do find things to do. I have done a bit of work here and there on the train. Usually I can do a bit of work, just listen to some music, or just relax for a bit from a hectic day. Driving every morning is ... well for me it's fun but depends on the driver you are. The bus ride usually has good views but that can get a bit boring unless you opt to talk to someone random sitting next to you. In your first few weeks I would recommend you talking to someone on the bus rides. It's the start of the year so everyone will be willing to talk about anything to meet new people.

Also do remember you have to walk 15 minutes or so to UTS. Bus to UNSW from Central is about 15 minutes on a good day (30 minutes on a bad day).

Reactions: QZP

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, defs

If you don't have a travel buddy

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Also do remember you have to walk 15 minutes or so to UTS. Bus to UNSW from Central is about 15 minutes on a good day (30 minutes on a bad day).
It's not that long. To get from platform to a bus at central is already half way to UTS pretty much.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
It's not that long. To get from platform to a bus at central is already half way to UTS pretty much.
Actually I agree with this when you have the long lines at Central. Either way, bus ride is most likely longer regardless.

With my travel, it is pretty much divided up into approximately three half hour blocks (half hour drive, car warm up, finding parking, walk to station, etc, half hour to 45 minute train ride, 15 to half hour bus ride). So I guess in a way I find that I am able to occupy myself for these time blocks as they aren't too large like 2+ hours or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)