need help with my FIRST resume!!! (1 Viewer)

waterlml

HSC
HI, i'm planning to look for a part time job after uni starts, trying to prepare my resume but i have no work experience/volunteer work etc, what should i put in under experience?should i just leave it or change it to something else?? i do have some achievements and did sport during high school, should i just change it to these things?? thx

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
make it up

I did and I got some call backs :D
Not this. You never know the longer term ramifications either.

Anyway, given you're applying for your first job out of school, you can still summarise whatever you did achieve in school which might reflect well on why someone would want to take a chance and offer you a job. Keep in mind you might need to tailor it to individual jobs/circumstances such as your working flexibility as well as your own personality traits (e.g. are you willing to learn, hard working, good at team work, etc).

Have a look at your school report as well to see what positive characteristics your teachers have identified and see if they could be useful in the workplace (or at least help you land a job).

dirty_ink

HSC
In addition to what seremify posted, keep the layout clean and simple, and you definitely don't need to exceed one page. Have headings such as 'Personal Attributes', 'Academic Achievements' and 'Availability'. Try to emphasise particular characteristics that would be valuable for the job you are applying - maybe dot list them and then elaborate on each with a sentence.

If you're still a bit mystified as to what you should write, looking up the top qualities employers seek in potential employees may help.

Papercutter

HSC
Ditto dirty_ink.
Don't overflow your layout, make sure there's enough white space between the lines/sections. Always, always, always do a spelling & grammar check before you publish your resume. Keep fonts simple and don't use more than 2 or 3 different fonts.

You'll need references (or referees same thing), which are basically people who you think would vouch for your skills/qualities. These people can be a teacher, a coach, previous employer or basically anyone who knows you well but isn't in your immediate family (no siblings or parents).

You can exceed one page if you really must but never go more than 3 pages. If you do have 2 pages, don't staple them together because some employers might find it annoying when it comes to photocopying your resume. Put them in a clean, plastic sleeve before you submit it in (if this is in person).

Here are a couple links which may help:

waterlml

HSC
Ditto dirty_ink.
Don't overflow your layout, make sure there's enough white space between the lines/sections. Always, always, always do a spelling & grammar check before you publish your resume. Keep fonts simple and don't use more than 2 or 3 different fonts.

You'll need references (or referees same thing), which are basically people who you think would vouch for your skills/qualities. These people can be a teacher, a coach, previous employer or basically anyone who knows you well but isn't in your immediate family (no siblings or parents).

You can exceed one page if you really must but never go more than 3 pages. If you do have 2 pages, don't staple them together because some employers might find it annoying when it comes to photocopying your resume. Put them in a clean, plastic sleeve before you submit it in (if this is in person).

Here are a couple links which may help:
thanks, but i didn't see the links 0.0??

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
resumejpg.JPG

critique pls ty

everyone except for ON may apply

Last edited:

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
No statement of your availability? I guess employers could always ask you directly.

You can make references 'available upon request' if you'd like.

Otherwise it looks good.
yeah I wanted to keep it on one page (as if 2 pages for casual jobs ppl ceebs reading) and it is a common interview question. Also my availability changes a bit during the holidays depending on when my family are going away and when I've got stuff on, I'd much rather they ask me that question in the interview so I can give them updated times than in the resume where I can have potentially redundant information

dirty_ink

HSC
yeah I wanted to keep it on one page (as if 2 pages for casual jobs ppl ceebs reading) and it is a common interview question. Also my availability changes a bit during the holidays depending on when my family are going away and when I've got stuff on, I'd much rather they ask me that question in the interview so I can give them updated times than in the resume where I can have potentially redundant information
Best of luck then :)

Papercutter

HSC
View attachment 31592

critique pls ty

everyone except for ON may apply
Good layout, though I would put my contact details, address and such near the top of the page rather than the bottom.
First subtitle should be "objectives", what position are you looking for?

Examples of Objective statements:
- Seeking a part-time role as a waiter/waitress at [company name]
-I am looking for a position as a sale assistant at [store name]

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Good advice here. Another thing I found important is to always try cater the resume for the position you are applying to.

For example if you are applying for an IT position, while it is great that you have volunteered, but if you've neglected to expose your IT skills/what you can do technically then you've probably wasted your time. (when we were looking for an IT officer for our uni society last year someone did this)

edit: wohoo 1500th post

Last edited:

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
My resume is really plain but has done the trick in getting me calls.

Yeah as stated above, you really need to point out the skills you have that are transferable to the job you're applying for.

When I had limited experience, I made sure to go for a job that didn't require any and sort of worked my way up from there - my resume at the time focused on my school achievements (shows that I'm not stupid and put effort into my work - work ethic), customer service stuff (team work), choir (team work/commitment) and church participation (leadership/commitment) to demonstrate the different aspects of me as a person.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Wut, you spent 11 years in high school?

Also, what position is the resume for?
I spent 11 years at the same school. I never specified High School.

this resume is just for applying at casual jobs

Good layout, though I would put my contact details, address and such near the top of the page rather than the bottom.
First subtitle should be "objectives", what position are you looking for?

Examples of Objective statements:
- Seeking a part-time role as a waiter/waitress at [company name]
-I am looking for a position as a sale assistant at [store name]
Hmmm yeah good idea. Thanks for that :Ds

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I spent 11 years at the same school. I never specified High School.

this resume is just for applying at casual jobs
So you accelerated? Or spent the first two years at a different place? I think that needs to be clarified on the resume because an employer could interpret that as a typo when it could actually be legitimate.

What kind of casual jobs? The reason I ask is to see whether the resume is tailored to the type of job you are going for.

waterlml

HSC
thanks for all the advice, but still what do you guys think i should write under work experiences :eek:?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)