Explaining lack of experience (1 Viewer)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
How do you explain a lack of Job experience on your resume (when the reason is not laziness ) in an interview ?

I've had my fair amount of family stability + personal issues , and so decided it wasn't wise to find employment back then.

I tried employment , but I quit because I had a bit too much on my plate at the time, without me going insane lol

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
You're a university student - you're not expected to have tons of experience anyway...?
I don't have tons , but I have 0 experience , and I am like 21 lol

That does not look good

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't have tons , but I have 0 experience , and I am like 21 lol

That does not look good
well then you be honest

and say you had other focuses such as society work or extra curricular activities or whatever

Let them know you're not a slob

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't aim to justify your lack of experience if an interviewer doesn't directly ask you why. If it comes up, just be honest and explain that you had to handle things at home. Try to twist it a little and explain what you gained from that (strengths gained and weaknesses resolved for example). The main thing that you should be looking at doing in this case is displaying to the interviewer that you don't lack experience due to a lack of drive and motivation, yet due to circumstances outside of your control. And in that respect, you are just as motivated as say, a co-op that already has 2 internships under their belt, or someone with years of experience. A certain someone at Accenture noted that they don't discriminate in the hiring process based on what one has done. Yet base things off what they have gained and interpreted from said experiences. In this respect, something as simple as university group work could suffice provided that you are an optimal applicant. It's more about who you are as opposed to what you've done to a certain extent.

Expect rejections from a fair few places as this is common with everyone, yet don't let your lack of experience discourage you to continue applying. Just go through the interview with the confidence of someone with years of experience.

I'm not too versed in the hiring process as some of the more senior members of the site, but i like to think i know a thing or two.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Keep in mind though the weakness you have is not so much that you didn't work, but rather you are perceived to lack some of the skills or behaviours which you would have learnt or had to adopt had you been committed to employment. Therefore I would be proactive in coming up with something which shows how you may have addressed these weaknesses in other ways.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
And let's be honest, if you are given an interview based on a 'lacking' resume, then evidently you still have something that the organisation is looking for.

They are not going to give you an interview if they don't think you have the requisite experience to do the job. In the end, you need to sell what you have done, even if you don't think it's directly relatable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)