Reference Policy (1 Viewer)

proflayton

HSC
What do you do when your workplace policy is not to supply reference.

Why do businesses have this policy anyways.

The only thing my workplace will give is a certificate of service.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It means you won't get a written reference on your performance. Most large organisations do this as no individual (not even a partner) can really vouch for someone on behalf of the company or firm and hence they keep it factual. In practice most people just use verbal references instead and provide contact details of someone with a more personal or intimate knowledge of one's character and performance. Realistically though your verbal references from people of strong influence (and your own personal reputation) will carry more weight.

For what it's worth, this is why it's good to keep copies of any feedback forms or evaluations you've received especially if you work in an organisation with a very formal structure to measuring performance. I've been asked by both other firms and recruiters what my "rating" was as our scale is reasonably well known in the wider market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enoilgam

HSC
No one really uses or values written references any more - the closest equivalent would be a LinkedIn recommendation. Even verbal references are declining in value. In most cases, they are usually performed on the preferred candidate for a role and their primary purpose is just to verify some of the claims a candidate has made and to ensure there are no issues. They aren't often used to decide between two candidates.

That being said, ensure you select references who you know will give you a good review. The last thing you want is to get to the end of the hiring process and end up being stuffed over by a poor reference.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I still take linked in recommendations with a pinch of salt since it's not uncommon to even see spouses writing for each other!

Agreed that verbal references have only limited value since again people don't want to necessarily give an opinion which might be used against them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)