Is Real Estate an 'appealing' career choice? (1 Viewer)

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
Hey guys. Hope you're all doing well.
I'm currently finishing Yr11 and moving into Yr12 in about a month and i'm starting to figure out what UNI and courses i'd be interested in. My family recently bought a home and I had a first-hand experience about the life of a real estate agent. It seemed like something I would enjoy doing.

Here are my subject choices for Yr12.
- Adv Eng
- General Maths (Dropped from 2U)
- Phys (Probably gonna be my worst subject)
- Business
- Economics
- Society and Culture

Anyways, my first thought was doing Property Economics at UTS and work at a real estate office part-time to get the general idea of it. If I really enjoy it and see it as something I would do for the next 35 years, then who knows? Otherwise i'll move onto the more 'property' side of things. My second thought was doing Construction Management and Property at UNSW and doing the same real estate thing in the background part-time.

Anyways, that's the background information. My questions are;
- What would be the estimated pay for a part-time real estate agent in South-Western Sydney?
- Are the UNI courses alright? Anything I should think about? (I have heaps of time)
- Any other suggestions based on subjects etc?

Anyways, thanks so much for reading!

-Sud

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
lol you dont need a degree for real estates. its all about sales skills. the pay for agents is all commission and usually 1% of sales price.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Depends what you actually want to do in the industry. If you're looking at becoming an agent don't bother with the degree, get your tafe qualifications and work straight away. Watch the interviews on this site and make up your mind. Don' t think its easy to make good money like it seems though http://www.tompanos.com.au/

Property economics is more commercial focused and a white collar profession like any other job available in a commerce degree jobs. Most students will either go into property development, funds management or valuation. All these industries pay pretty good salaries and have solid career progression. Funds management is basically just a finance role so you'll come across lots of people that have studied commerce. Think of firms such as AMP, Dexus and GPT.

Working in an agency won't really help you because they'll mostly likely just get you to do admin. That being said, its a good starting point which you could use to leverage into a part time valuation role later in your degree. There aren't many grad programs around so the most important thing is to build strong networks and be able to cold call firms when you're looking for a job. I know mates that cold called mid tier developers and are now working in an entry level development role.

lol you dont need a degree for real estates. its all about sales skills. the pay for agents is all commission and usually 1% of sales price.
Property economics course has nothing to do with working in a residential agency. I agree with you if OP wants to become an agent but don't disregard the degree itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)