What are job prospects like for science in sydney? (biomedical, medical, etc.) (1 Viewer)

MathsN00b

HSC
I had decided on doing biomedical science in uni (if I actually get the offer) but I only considered doing it cuz I'm better at doing biology and maths although I don't see myself being interested in it and enjoying some career out of it. I don't even know what proper careers there are for doing biomed other than being a labrat or those other repetitive jobs with low pay. The only other options are doing higher level degrees to become a researcher or doctor which I'm not interested in at all.

So does anyone know what careers and the job prospects are from doing biomed science?

(Initally I wanted to do graphic design but I don't know if there are any available careers for that too...)

Flop21

HSC
There are jobs for graphic design... lol look around you it's everywhere. Thing is, I'm pretty sure the pay gets capped at a mid-range level and can't imagine it getting into the high salary end.

Interested to hear an answer for this, as I don't really know either, in regards to biomedical. Honestly I've been told there's no jobs for nearly every bloody degree/job in Australia lol, so I'm not sure what's going on.

MathsN00b

HSC
There are jobs for graphic design... lol look around you it's everywhere. Thing is, I'm pretty sure the pay gets capped at a mid-range level and can't imagine it getting into the high salary end.

Interested to hear an answer for this, as I don't really know either, in regards to biomedical. Honestly I've been told there's no jobs for nearly every bloody degree/job in Australia lol, so I'm not sure what's going on.
Yeah, apparently my older cousins told me that it's pretty hard to find jobs for science courses like biomed, as a lot of science students don't really know what they want to do since they can't become a doctor or some higher profession. I'm not sure if it's competitive because a lot of people do it. Few of my family friends moved to doing business or other courses after doing science in their first year.

I'm not risking paying debt for the course if I don't end up easily finding a career from it, let alone enjoy it.

Flop21

HSC
Yeah, apparently my older cousins told me that it's pretty hard to find jobs for science courses like biomed, as a lot of science students don't really know what they want to do since they can't become a doctor or some higher profession. I'm not sure if it's competitive because a lot of people do it. Few of my family friends moved to doing business or other courses after doing science in their first year.

I'm not risking paying debt for the course if I don't end up easily finding a career from it, let alone enjoy it.
Look into engineering.

JavaScript

HSC
Look into engineering.
Engineering and comp sci are pretty safe atm.
Commerce and law are saturated.
Science : not enough funding = not enough jobs.
Med is impossible to get into and you have to love it.
Teaching is a good option as well but your pay wont be that high unless you become deputy.

Other than that can't think of anything else.

Last edited:

JavaScript

HSC
I have a sister who did medical science and she did honours at usyd. Finding a job after you do honours is not too hard if you get good grades and do good research. However the lack of govt funding makes it an unstable career option and the pay isn't all that great.

You could do bioinformatics which is science+engineering for the medical field.

Flop21

HSC
Engineering and comp sci are pretty safe atm.
Commerce and law are saturated.
Science : not enough funding = not enough jobs.
Med is impossible to get into and you have to love it.
Teaching is a good option as well but your pay wont be that high unless you become deputy.

Other than that can't think of anything else.
Yeah I mentioned engineering because there are 'science' engineering fields. And of course because engineering is the practical application of things, so you're bound to find a job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)