What types of jobs can a 17 year old apply for (1 Viewer)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
Hi, just finished HSC and really need to build my work experience.
I've applied for a bunch of places like Target, Pizzahut, bookstores, JB-HI-FI, numerous pharmacies, coaching/ tuition places without any replies/ emails.

If u are 17 years old though, what types of jobs am I qualified for. Because I was looking up more places like sales, retail, customer service etc. at stores like Apple but when I looked at the job description it seems like they expect you to have technical knowledge or know marketing (or do they train u in these skills and apple products) and I'm unsure if I am meant to have qualifications like marketing or communications degrees, or you just need to be able to teach customers how to use products etc. but confused?

No one's replying and I've gone and given my resume directly to the store, but am unsure if I am meant to call back because they probably will have no idea who I am or have forgotten about me. Are we meant to call back? Because I haven't actually interacted with the hiring manager and there are heaps of other people who probably give in resumes.
Also, how does one get a summer job then?
It's a tough job market out there, but so many other kids from my high school have gotten jobs at Maccas, Ben and Jerrys etc. and they aren't partcularly smart, charismatic or the best communicators so I'm unsure how they nabbed such positions.

Ultimately, I'm not looking for money, more work experience and skills to build my profile, but obviously I would opt for getting paid too. Any other suggestions for places I could try would be great also, thanks!

Silly Sausage

HSC
Hi, just finished HSC and really need to build my work experience.
I've applied for a bunch of places like Target, Pizzahut, bookstores, JB-HI-FI, numerous pharmacies, coaching/ tuition places without any replies/ emails.

If u are 17 years old though, what types of jobs am I qualified for. Because I was looking up more places like sales, retail, customer service etc. at stores like Apple but when I looked at the job description it seems like they expect you to have technical knowledge or know marketing (or do they train u in these skills and apple products) and I'm unsure if I am meant to have qualifications like marketing or communications degrees, or you just need to be able to teach customers how to use products etc. but confused?

No one's replying and I've gone and given my resume directly to the store, but am unsure if I am meant to call back because they probably will have no idea who I am or have forgotten about me. Are we meant to call back? Because I haven't actually interacted with the hiring manager and there are heaps of other people who probably give in resumes.
Also, how does one get a summer job then?
It's a tough job market out there, but so many other kids from my high school have gotten jobs at Maccas, Ben and Jerrys etc. and they aren't partcularly smart, charismatic or the best communicators so I'm unsure how they nabbed such positions.

Ultimately, I'm not looking for money, more work experience and skills to build my profile, but obviously I would opt for getting paid too. Any other suggestions for places I could try would be great also, thanks!

Getting a job is quiet difficult during this age, perhaps your friends managed to get those jobs while they were younger e.g. 15 (since they paid less) and held on them.
A good strategy is personally going the place you're applying for and hand in your resume.

crowley926

HSC
How good is your resume/how good is its layout? If it's disorganized and sloppy that might be a factor - not sure but it wouldn't hurt to fix it up.

When applying for jobs in Maccas, KFC, Kmart I think it's important to have really good availability so try to put down as many days and times as you can. I think employees at Apple tend to be older and seeing as u need technical/marketing experience you probably wouldn't be qualified enough. If you want retail, you could try Myer - my cousin started working there when he was around 18 with only fast food experience.

Try applying for Christmas casual positions right now.

As for calling back, it wouldn't hurt. After a few days or a couple weeks without hearing for them you could politely call and follow up (google how to follow up without sounding desperate or annoying.)

Or ask your parents if they have any friends who own businesses and need someone to help out that could be a good start.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Hey

Anyone here knows how to apply for a job at a tutoring place marking homework while still in high school?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
What should I do when I'm desperate for a job and have no references?

si2136

HSC
N/A
Anything at all. It's not about your age or the grades you make, but the hands you shake

Orwell

HSC
Attach a cover letter, really gives off this sense of professionalism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)