Working During Gap Year (1 Viewer)

joannaadele

HSC
Hey guys!

I've heard a couple of stories about people working full time their first year out of school then going onto Study. Does anyone have any experience doing this or can offer any advice? I have an early entry and am fairly confident I can get into University but I really dont know what I want to do, and maybe a gap year may help. If so, could you guys recommend the sorts of jobs I should get, any places of recruitment or places that specifically hire for gap years?

Thanks heaps,

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
There's really no specific hires for gap years, I mean what's the point right? there's no benefit to someone training you and then having you leave after a year etc.. that being said just apply for anything you can, it actually helps you can work full-time ALOT though, this can open more professional jobs like receptionists etc.. just have a look on seek and go from whatever fancies you - since you pretty much have 24/7 availability your actually a good resource so you have a few choices

it might not be the best to mention your on a gap year in some situations, but just read the context and the kind of job your applying for (e.g. high turnover, or places that understand you'll have uni next year and can potentially move you into part-time etc. or are they actually looking for someone permanent wanting to move up the ranks etc.. you know)

MyHeadStart

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Joanna,

We'd recommend doing what you feel is best for your career - at the end of the day, tertiary education is mostly about getting yourself into a well paying job right?

Check out our website at www.myheadstart.com.au - we help young Aussies with writing resumes, applying for work and sitting interviews. We also look at things like your online social profile and how to improve on your LinkedIn profile.

Work Experience is invaluable to your career and we suggest you start building up some great experience. It will definitely help you down the track!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)