Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Does anyone invest here?

HSC

Re: Does anyone invest here?

Here's a tip from somebody who spent 5 years studying finance/economics and owns a business. Just invest in Vanguard index funds. Cheapest way to achieve diversification. Be humble.

Executive Member
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by yoyo1987 View Post
    Here's a tip from somebody who spent 5 years studying finance/economics and owns a business. Just invest in Vanguard index funds. Cheapest way to achieve diversification. Be humble.
    Not when ur like 18

Too safe

Maybe do it at 25

Not too much of a diversification unless u buy more than one. (vgs/vas)

But I agree it's a good set and forget

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by si2136 View Post
    Not when ur like 18

Too safe

Maybe do it at 25

Not too much of a diversification unless u buy more than one. (vgs/vas)

But I agree it's a good set and forget
    Index funds tracking equity arent a "safe bet" by any measure even. Compared to other asset classes it's definitely not in the safe pile no matter what age.

I would argue that it's better earlier actually (e.g. 18 year old), who by virtue would have little experience in stocks, and putting it in an index fund is a great first step to tredding the giant oceans of equities and getting your hands dirty.

Edit: Also i don't know about you but VGS is literally the only ETF you would need to buy if you want diversification alone, VAS would contribute little to that, your comment shows lack of knowledge about ETFs in general.
    Last edited by Chronost; 11 May 2018 at 3:04 AM.

Executive Member
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Chronost View Post
    Index funds tracking equity arent a "safe bet" by any measure even. Compared to other asset classes it's definitely not in the safe pile no matter what age.

I would argue that it's better earlier actually (e.g. 18 year old), who by virtue would have little experience in stocks, and putting it in an index fund is a great first step to tredding the giant oceans of equities and getting your hands dirty.

Edit: Also i don't know about you but VGS is literally the only ETF you would need to buy if you want diversification alone, VAS would contribute little to that, your comment shows lack of knowledge about ETFs in general.
    I would prefer to have a mix of vgs and vas, considering it touches both the international and Australian market. Having a large exposure to the australian market isn't too bad, considering it has a strong financial and mining sector.

But up to you I guess. I have them both so I'll see how I go nevertheless in 5 years

Executive Member
    HSC

Update: Actually went for a diversified vanguard fund instead, better MER is lower than a two fund or three fund portfolio. Going to aim for internal exposure, but have enough dividend profits for DRP.

Luckily I sold my BTC before ATO started to implement crypto regulation, sucks for the people having thousands of lost transactions, esp when converting cryptos is also a CGT event. Well, most people wouldn't necessarily be 'affected' since there's a $10000 tax exemption

Market for Australia isn't doing too bad, Asx 10 year high. But I believe top 20 are overvalued, I think there may be a correction soon.

None of this is financial advice as always.

HSC

I'd say index funds are great for a SMSF where you want a lot more stability with a trade off of potential gains but currently I dont keep anything in index funds.

Most current stocks are still quite overvalued at the moment but a lot of it is probably due to the low risk free rate so people are willing to pay more for stocks right now - i reckon there will be quite a large correction if RBA increases rates and a lot of people divest
    Ruse '16, 99.95, 1st in State Chem
    99 MX1, 98 MX2, 98 Chem, 96 Eng Adv, 96 Phys

HSC
    Uni Grad

Anyone ever considered investing in physical assets? Or how about luxury goods outside the traditional asset classes?

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by seremify007 View Post
    Anyone ever considered investing in physical assets? Or how about luxury goods outside the traditional asset classes?
    If by physical assets you include real estate, then yes. Once I have a comfortable amount of stocks, I plan to save up like $100kish for a deposit on a house in a cheaper place like wollongong etc and slowly build my rental empire.

2016 ATAR: >90
    2017-2020: Bachelor of Applied Finance/Bachelor of Commerce (Professional Accounting) @ Mq Uni

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Zoinked View Post
    If by physical assets you include real estate, then yes. Once I have a comfortable amount of stocks, I plan to save up like $100kish for a deposit on a house in a cheaper place like wollongong etc and slowly build my rental empire.
    Nah I was thinking both physical commodities and more abstract less liquid goods (eg luxury goods).

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

HSC
    N/A

Art?

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutezero View Post
    Art?
    Yeah. I wasn’t convinced on these types of things before where they’re difficult to sell but I’m slowly becoming more on board after seeing things like handbags go up in value v

HSC
    Uni Grad

HSC

I collect coins, although more for interest as opposed to an investment. I havent done a valuation in a few years now, but Id say that some would definitely have gone up in value (especially the gold).

Investing in collectibles/luxury goods can be a great investment, but you need to really know what you are doing. You need to have a very high level understanding of the goods and the market, more so than you would when investing in say property or financial instruments.

I know with coins specifically, very subtle differences can have a huge impact on values. I remember a few years back, I saw a 1870 Sovereign at a dealer, which I thought was undervalued. I remember reading an article in a magazine about weak striking dies which were used on Sovereigns from that year (weak dies can lead to incorrect gradings). I bought the coin and took it to another dealer 10 minutes later who valued it at about 30% more than what I just paid. So you really need to conduct extensive research in order to ensure you are getting it right and to get good deals.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

HSC
    N/A

Yeah. I wasn’t convinced on these types of things before where they’re difficult to sell but I’m slowly becoming more on board after seeing things like handbags go up in value v
    similar to antiques as well

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information