Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Does anyone invest here?

Executive Member
    HSC

Re: Does anyone invest here?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoz8142 View Post
    Really want to start, still saving up some capital until the end of this year. Think to invest in eq or maybe commodities.

Any tips from anyone, rn I am reading up and do some research before I enter the market.
    http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets-live
    http://www.aussiestockforums.com/

And find the niches yourself.
    MX2 - ADV - ECO - BUS

HSC

Dont invest in gold. Not a safe investment IMO and as Nailgun said, you dont have the security of compound interest. At least with equity, if the value goes down, the dividends can begin to make up the growth (plus you can tax loss harvest off of equity).

2016 ATAR: >90
    2017-2020: Bachelor of Applied Finance/Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) @ Mq Uni

HSC
    Uni Grad

I used to do quite a bit of share trading in the past but don't do much anymore nowadays due to certain restrictions placed upon me by both my employer and the authorities... so whilst I still have my portfolio which is grandfathered in, I no longer day trade but I do miss the joy of closing positions before settlement to lock in numerous small gains (and I'm not allowed to sell my current holdings without 14 days notice).

So... in the past week, I wrote some currency options and bought units in ETFs. Nothing too exciting but need to keep it simple and liquid given this is my short term investment horizon, and I'm making the most of my non resident status (i.e. interest yield, capital gains and dividends are not taxable in Singapore).

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by seremify007 View Post
    I used to do quite a bit of share trading in the past but don't do much anymore nowadays due to certain restrictions placed upon me by both my employer and the authorities... so whilst I still have my portfolio which is grandfathered in, I no longer day trade but I do miss the joy of closing positions before settlement to lock in numerous small gains (and I'm not allowed to sell my current holdings without 14 days notice).

So... in the past week, I wrote some currency options and bought units in ETFs. Nothing too exciting but need to keep it simple and liquid given this is my short term investment horizon, and I'm making the most of my non resident status (i.e. interest yield, capital gains and dividends are not taxable in Singapore).
    Sigh.....Australia stop taking my money please

On topic, yes been investing with my own money for about 1.5 years now, have made sizeable gains percentage wise(and i guess monetary value wise relative to my income and age), only wish i had more capital from the beginning :"(. Only trade individual stocks, shorted with CFDS once (SGH during reporting time ) and some FOREX trading once as well (made good profit but realized i just got lucky and stopped)

Executive Member
    HSC

LOVING THE FMG GAINS

Far out, they've been bullish for a long time! I was scared that they were at a bubble when hearing the news of the AUD/USD exchange fall.
    MX2 - ADV - ECO - BUS

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by si2136 View Post
    LOVING THE FMG GAINS

Far out, they've been bullish for a long time! I was scared that they were at a bubble when hearing the news of the AUD/USD exchange fall.
    Haha I haven't held FMG since 2009 when I sold it for $4.30 (bought in 2008 for $3.60). Admittedly it was a really small parcel (2000 shares) so the gain was just enough for a big night out.

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

HSC

Best gain you've had guys? (whoever here trades in individual stocks?)

I haven't held anything which jumped quick from a deal (i had a few on radar which I missed the opportunity to jump on cause I was holding other stock at the time unfortunately) but held GEM recently and went from $3.00 to $3.90 plus two quarterly dividends on a 8-7% annual yield (depended on the share price at the time) , held for 3.5 month ish , biggest gain from trade I've had so far, generally I keep my stock for a few weeks to a month so usually I sell before the peak of the shares and lock in profits early (which I think is one of the things i need to work on) or I don't keep it enough for any major deal to arrive unless I get lucky (I don't generally trade on the basis of news, but I try and be aware of any events surrounding the companies I trade)

HSC
    Uni Grad

when you guys pick a stock, is it done the inner gut feeling or is it done by deep technical/fundamental analysis ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oer View Post
    I am grateful for Rhino's existence

HSC

Never picked a stock individually and don't plan to, but I suppose people do a combination of both. Investing is a marathon not a sprint, I'd rather just grab an index fund thats safe and make money over the long run, rather than try and beat the market.

2017-2020: Bachelor of Applied Finance/Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) @ Mq Uni

Executive Member
    HSC

when you guys pick a stock, is it done the inner gut feeling or is it done by deep technical/fundamental analysis ?
    There's no rule in the stock market. Neither of them really work in the real world, only games/simulators.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronost View Post
    Best gain you've had guys? (whoever here trades in individual stocks?)

I haven't held anything which jumped quick from a deal (i had a few on radar which I missed the opportunity to jump on cause I was holding other stock at the time unfortunately) but held GEM recently and went from $3.00 to $3.90 plus two quarterly dividends on a 8-7% annual yield (depended on the share price at the time) , held for 3.5 month ish , biggest gain from trade I've had so far, generally I keep my stock for a few weeks to a month so usually I sell before the peak of the shares and lock in profits early (which I think is one of the things i need to work on) or I don't keep it enough for any major deal to arrive unless I get lucky (I don't generally trade on the basis of news, but I try and be aware of any events surrounding the companies I trade)
    Probably with GOOGL and TVIX
    MX2 - ADV - ECO - BUS

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by si2136 View Post
    There's no rule in the stock market. Neither of them really work in the real world, only games/simulators.
    Pretty much this.

Dont.msg.me.about.english nerdasdasd's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Does anyone invest here?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebla View Post
    Pretty much this.
    There have been some famous investors in the past that have figured it out.

Namely warren buffet.

If you're lucky enough to figure out a strategy + rules that works, gj.
    HSC PAPERS >>http://sdrv.ms/H3cL7l
    2013 HSC papers >> http://sdrv.ms/H3cOQk
    HSC NOTES >> http://sdrv.ms/GXNPyo
    PHYSICS MC and ANSWERS >> http://sdrv.ms/H3da9C
    PHYSICS CORE OPTIONS HARD TEST (with solutions)>> http://sdrv.ms/GXNTOQ
    Sorted HSC Q's >> https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cls...ns_%2B_options

Executive Member
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by nerdasdasd View Post
    There have been some famous investors in the past that have figured it out.

Namely warren buffet.

If you're lucky enough to figure out a strategy + rules that works, gj.
    There's no strategy at all. It's just plenty of research and guts. Men have a higher chance of risk, so they tend to be better investors than females.
    MX2 - ADV - ECO - BUS

HSC
    N/A

I don't feel good about putting lots of money into a system I don't fully understand. The only things I would invest in are education, and a home, and the latter only after doing lots of research.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sinophile View Post
    I don't feel good about putting lots of money into a system I don't fully understand. The only things I would invest in are education, and a home, and the latter only after doing lots of research.
    The alternative is to then learn about whatever it is?

Plus there are other safer investments - index funds for example
    Mathew587 likes this.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

HSC
    Uni Grad

I would never say my analysis is deep technical but I look at a combination of historical prices (as I felt this was a good way to try and see where the psychological price points were - more relevant for stocks traded by retail investors) and also using some common sense fundamentals. Given my historical trading style of realising lots of small gains before settlement and closing out positions, it was really more about looking at market movement/direction rather than trying to analyse long term potentials of companies. Just my 2c.

Here I am now though relying on units in ETFs and doing some FX... I do miss equities particularly with the one set time zone and the tools to access the market.
    Chronost likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by seremify007 View Post
    I would never say my analysis is deep technical but I look at a combination of historical prices (as I felt this was a good way to try and see where the psychological price points were - more relevant for stocks traded by retail investors) and also using some common sense fundamentals. Given my historical trading style of realising lots of small gains before settlement and closing out positions, it was really more about looking at market movement/direction rather than trying to analyse long term potentials of companies. Just my 2c.

Here I am now though relying on units in ETFs and doing some FX... I do miss equities particularly with the one set time zone and the tools to access the market.
    ^ pretty much what Seremify said, I basically look at trends,historical and any psychological effects/patterns - not deep into technicals but can't go wrong with good fundamentals either - think when and how the typical retail investor would buy or sell a certain stock and you got yourself a profit most of the time (Y) - I follow a small range of stocks and trade them on a regular basis by movements

Maybe it's the audit background which allows us to analyse certain things this way :P

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Chronost View Post
    Maybe it's the audit background which allows us to analyse certain things this way :P
    If anything the audit background helps me realise the fundamental limitations of using financial statements data as the basis for a short term investment. Obviously longer term I would look at fundamentals and consider broader issues (and I wish I had done that before my portfolio got 'locked down' due to my job) but when short term, I would usually speculate a bit on industry trends/news and buy related stocks/etc. Worked well for me and I amassed enough capital through my own savings and credit lines/loans to do this comfortably for a while.

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - - obliviousninja's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

I invest in the sneaker market
    Quote Originally Posted by Melancholia View Post
    From time to time I feel lost inside this melody
    It's like a fantasy, except it's called reality
    HSC Aim: 95+ ATAR (Achieved) | Course: USYD Commerce (Co-op) | Current work: Big 4 Acct. Firm

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - - obliviousninja's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

15% return thus far. Even with some shoes being in worn condition.
    Mathew587 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melancholia View Post
    From time to time I feel lost inside this melody
    It's like a fantasy, except it's called reality
    HSC Aim: 95+ ATAR (Achieved) | Course: USYD Commerce (Co-op) | Current work: Big 4 Acct. Firm

Executive Member
    HSC

ASX Game 1 Week Earnings: Aiming for 5% returns by the end of next week.

http://prntscr.com/ayzq0t

IRL: Going to sell all of my TVIX and invest it into BTC, I technically can't cash out for now.
    MX2 - ADV - ECO - BUS

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by obliviousninja View Post
    I invest in the sneaker market
    I know a guy who does this
    Apparently decently lucrative
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Nailgun View Post
    I know a guy who does this
    Apparently decently lucrative
    I know people who have invested in the A2 milk market
    Mathew587 likes this.

HSC

si, let me know how your BTC investment goes. I'm somewhat interested and somewhat concerned. I still stand against BTC, dont wanna see a fellow BoS'er lose all their money!

HSC

I invested in the TF2 market.
    Zoinked likes this.
    "I have crippling depression" -Mahatma Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumi View Post
    lol

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information