[Serious] I think the job offer I accepted may have been a scam. (1 Viewer)

Baggypants

HSC
So I accepted a small assistant job at a company called H.I.G Capital. It's American but apparently they're building new offices in Australia. I text my employer over Skype and I've talked on the phone just once. I'm meant to start the job in a few days.

This is what my employer sent me over Skype regarding my role >>>>>>>>>
{{"" !!! Financial task - need to process a payment of client using transfer system (which will be convenient for the client) It is an investment Company. So basically have to deal with finance. Basically your main job is to help assist the payment process.
...so the client will advise me, and I inform you on how they would like their money transferred.""}}

They sent me that after I accepted the job, but I'm on a trial period so I haven't accepted any contracts or agreements and they haven't asked me to pay them any money in advance.

So far, I've provided my BSB number, my account number, my name, my address and my TFN number.
Since I only have a 100 bucks in the account I gave them information about, it won't be too big of a deal if it is a scam. But I want to know if anyone can do serious harm if they have the above information about me?

Yes, Ik, I'm probably the biggest idiot in the world.

D94

HSC
N/A
Have you received a physical contract or expect to receive one?

Did you send them a copy of your licence or passport?

Baggypants

HSC
They do have a copy of my license. And atm I'm in a period of the job that they call probation. So I'm in a period of training for the first 2 weeks and apparently it's paid. I was told that after the training period I'll be allowed to officially work for them.

Baggypants

HSC
Ok, so now I'm going on and assuming this is a fraud. The guy has my BSB number, my account number, my name, my address and my TFN number. I also may have stupidly provided him a copy of my passport and drivers license. What is my best course of action?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok, so now I'm going on and assuming this is a fraud. The guy has my BSB number, my account number, my name, my address and my TFN number. I also may have stupidly provided him a copy of my passport and drivers license. What is my best course of action?
go to a local police station and explain your predicament

etxpy

HSC
N/A
HIG is a private equity firm with $20B AUM. How did you find this job listing?

WildestDreams

HSC
Yeah definitely doesn't seem legit. There isn't any news about HIG Capital opening up in Australia either.

Best of luck with your problem!

Baggypants

HSC
OK HOLY SHIT. I just got $8000 transferred to my bank account. The banks are closed now wtf do i do? I know it's a scam and tomorrow the guy is gonna ask me to launder some money for him. ANYONE KNOW WTF DO I DO NOW?

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
OK HOLY SHIT. I just got $8000 transferred to my bank account. The banks are closed now wtf do i do? I know it's a scam and tomorrow the guy is gonna ask me to launder some money for him. ANYONE KNOW WTF DO I DO NOW?
Yeah i work in a bank and this is very obviously laundering (he's already using the account to launder funds which is illegal)

First things first, calm down. There's not much you can do until tomorrow.

Contact your local bank branch and have them close the account, this is very important. Straight after that go to your local police station with the evidence and explain your situation. I'm talking first thing tomorrow morning. Don't leave this.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
withdraw the money and run asap!

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah i work in a bank and this is very obviously laundering (he's already using the account to launder funds which is illegal)

First things first, calm down. There's not much you can do until tomorrow.

Contact your local bank branch and have them close the account, this is very important. Straight after that go to your local police station with the evidence and explain your situation. I'm talking first thing tomorrow morning. Don't leave this.
Or change the bsb number for your account

Baggypants

HSC
Yeah thanks a lot. I'll do that the first thing tomorrow. Idk why but I feel the castle hill police station are kinda crap.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
This is true but when it comes to accounts with dirty money it's best to be 100% safe.

Also OP for the love of god report the laundering to your bank
and federal police

So they can see where the money came from etc etc and shut down the method/s they used to obtain the money

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah thanks a lot. I'll do that the first thing tomorrow. Idk why but I feel the castle hill police station are kinda crap.
Go to a different one, it doesn't have to be local

or if you contact your bank they might inform the police as well

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Also go and tell your parents now. It's times like this where they can help the most.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)