Is it smart to get a job in Year 12? (1 Viewer)

kimilk

HSC
Hi, this is my first post anywhere so i apologise if this is not the right place to asks questions about this,

But i was wondering if it is wise to get a part time job in year 12? If you have any experiences working during HSC years how was it like for you? Do you think it is worth it to get a job despite parents' disagreements and such? (if you think it might help for interviews/experience for the field of uni study you want to get into) Or do you reckon its easier to do volunteering work once a week?

Also, how do part times jobs actually work? Is there a set time you have to be at the job? Because my friend works at woolies and he doesnt have a set slot, he just gets called in when they need him.

Thank you.. sorry if this was all over the place im just really confused and don't know what to do right now.

Red_of_Head

HSC
Hi, this is my first post anywhere so i apologise if this is not the right place to asks questions about this,

But i was wondering if it is wise to get a part time job in year 12? If you have any experiences working during HSC years how was it like for you? Do you think it is worth it to get a job despite parents' disagreements and such? (if you think it might help for interviews/experience for the field of uni study you want to get into) Or do you reckon its easier to do volunteering work once a week?

Also, how do part times jobs actually work? Is there a set time you have to be at the job? Because my friend works at woolies and he doesnt have a set slot, he just gets called in when they need him.

Thank you.. sorry if this was all over the place im just really confused and don't know what to do right now.
It's up to you. A lot of people will have sports and extra-curricular activities that take up a lot of time outside school hours, so if you don't than you're ahead of them.

It's up to you though, whether you are organised enough to work around it and whether you can deal with the stress of year 12.

It would probably help if you went for scholarships.

It sounds like your friend works a casual job. Casual jobs have a pool of people that are organised via a changing roster or need for workers. Part time jobs usually have a fixed time each week you work (like a full time job but with less hours). Casual workers usually get more pay, but no paid leave or other benefits. Their ability to get a shift is also less reliable than a part time worker's.

yataa55

HSC
I am currently in year 12 and also work in Woollies. I have been working for 3 years so i am used to it. It probably will be hard foe you at the start but if you have good time management and organisiation skills you will be fine. A big lot of peoplr do have jobs in year 12 as in some people like me do not have a choice and need it. I also find it sometimes useful as the stress causes me to organise my time and get my work done because i worry about not having time rather than not having a job and sitting at home procasinating.
I am a casual worker which means my manager gives me different shifts every week when needed. It depends where you get the job at part time is fixed shifts every week although less pay than casual. The good thing is that during exam time i take long weeks off or i ask for less shifts. So yea in conclusion it is not a bad decision at all in fact it is a good one as it does prepare you for real life later on and how to deal with everything in mature way.
Hope i helped and good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

HSC
I'm 15 and I work in a pharmacy, personally I think its better to start early and gain/build experiences + skills (time management- later on helps how you manage your workload at school in year 12) ALSO think about the amount of students who will be applying for jobs after they graduate high school It'll be competitive to land a job unless you have some kind of experience.
Also you can raise your job standards when you have experience at a younger age - confidence when applying for a reputable place unlike fast food chains. whereas if you gain experience later you'll have to slowly work your way up by earning experience later on (unless you're lucky and land a perfect job)

the_matrix

HSC
think about the amount of students who will be applying for jobs after they graduate high school It'll be competitive to land a job unless you have some kind of experience./QUOTE]

I can vouch for this. Even applying right after the HSC finishes is too late. If you can manage and maintain good grades, go for it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)