Living on Campus Nightmare (1 Viewer)

fininite

HSC
N/A
Wondering if anyone else has been in this situation.

I just started a degree and moved interstate so thought I would move on campus for automatic social groups. My experience has been a nightmare to say the least. The place wasn't cleaned before I moved in even though they swear cleaners had just been through it, there is mould which I've complained about for weeks now, the bathroom floods, I can't cook without the fire alarms going off and they want to charge me if they do. And the flatmates they put me with refuse to clean, pick up after themselves and claim they can't speak English when I try to talk to them.

I've gone to the RAs for help but they just kind of laugh. They've given me advice about a few things and it turns out all the advice they've given me was incorrect (like where things are, what to do when things like fire alarms go off etc). So now I feel like I can't trust them. They also don't contact me to see if I'm doing ok, I have to approach them. I ended up complaining to staff. I wrote them an email detailing all the issues I've faced. I never got a response so I emailed again, they said they'd get back to me. A week later I emailed them again saying not to keep taking my rent out, I'd prefer to move out if they're going to ignore me.

Now they finally email me but they tell me that I'm sending accusing and threatening emails and how their staff are perfect and so if I'm accusing them of doing things like not cleaning the room before I moved in it shows they can't trust anything I say. They've also accused me of not trying to talk to my roommates about the cleaning issues and called me immature and that I should be able to work this out myself. They've also said that I was offered help from staff and the RAs but refused it. I would have loved this help if offered but wasnt.

I don't know what to do. They don't want to help but they won't let me move out. I'm really homesick and it's making me want to drop out of uni. I'm not covered by any tenancy act because it's on campus accom. Anyone been in this situation?

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Continue trying to go through the internal complaint resolution process to the utmost constraint. If they're not handling your complaints in a reasonable way then contact the ombudsman.

If it's as bad as you say it is you don't have to put up with it & there are statutory bodies that exist so that you don't.

fininite

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't say the situation is as bad as Camp Granada (yet)

They tell me I have no rights/ comeback because it's not covered by the RTA. Basically they're saying I have to follow the contract because I signed it so it's legal for me to keep paying them but I can't do anything to them because I've got no one else to complain to. The contract doesn't have a lot for them to do but when I point out they aren't making sure the other people I'm with are fulfilling their side of the contract re; cleaning and fair use they tell me I need to communicate with them better and fix it myself. I can't find a body to go to for help or even to find out my rights.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
What university do you go to & does the university oversee the administration of said housing?

fininite

HSC
N/A
Yeah I started taking photos already.

I don't really want to say which Uni because they'd probably use it against me if they came across this but it's the same company as unsw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)