Army Reserve (1 Viewer)

Clara_Oswald

HSC
So I'm considering joining the army reserve at some point during my degree to earn a bit of money and do something different with my life, have some cool experiences, become a more disciplined and fit person etc.

Has anybody here done both the reserves and uni at the same time? If so, how did you find it?
Also was Kapooka really as bad as people say (the corporals, the yelling at you etc)? I've heard stories from people who did the recruit training in the early 90s and they said it was pretty bad to the point people would cry lol, not sure whether it's softened up recently? It'd definitely be a massive culture shock, but I guess I'd only have to deal with that (being 'bullied' by corporals) for 28 days.

Also, apparently you need "life experience" or recruiting will likely reject you and tell you to reapply again later. This will sound clueless af but how does one gain so called life experience? My life at the moment is literally uni, home, uni, home, repeat (boring).

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
maybe do some cadet or scout/girl guide type stuff or volunteering, bootcamps etc.

the_matrix

HSC
Assuming you're at least 18, you'd be too old to join Cadets.
By life experience, they mean get a job, do something outside of your study/school - and I mean a job preferably irrelevant to your degree. My friend's full time application got postponed due to this lack of 'life experience'.
Kapooka has softened a bit as instructors can't swear anymore, but it is no doubt a shit hole. Also reserves training for the Army is 35 days, not 28 days anymore, and if you go Officers entry then you have much more training.
Don't go into Army expecting them to turn you from an unfit to fit person. You need good fitness to pass their fitness test. Once you're at Kapooka, pushups go from 25 to 40, sit ups to 70, and the 2.4km run must be done in <12 minutes.

I'm not a Reservist (yet) but I am a cadet and have many ADF friends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)