• 8 Post By enoilgam
  • 2 Post By sida1049
  • 1 Post By Graney
  • 1 Post By Zoinked

Thread: How much do people earn?

Cadet
    HSC

How much do people earn?

Just a thought but what is the average salary/income in Sydney?
    Just read a thread on Reddit about 'being poor' and wondering what degrees have wider employment opportunities in the future.

Thanks!

HSC
    N/A

Re: How much do people earn?

Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon View Post
    Just read a thread on Reddit about 'being poor' and wondering what degrees have wider employment opportunities in the future.

Thanks!
    I might be wrong in saying this so don't trust me completely

I read somewhere that TAFE students usually have better employment prospects, job security and less money to pay back (in terms of government oan for higher study)

About 1/3 of uni students can't find employment (usually)

I think one job that is in demand (and in low supply) would be a data scientist but if I were you I wouldn't pick on a job based on demand, I'd pick it on what I enjoy/like (because what if you end up hating your job?)

I think anything STEM related could be in high demand (with demand expected to grow)

HSC

average pre tax household income in sydney is like 80k

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

<20k Yr lol

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxnuts View Post

I think anything STEM related could be in high demand (with demand expected to grow)
    You're so unbelievably wrong. Biology, chemistry, physics, maths are in high demand? Hell no.
    HSC 2018: 3U English | Economics | Legal Studies | Modern History | Studies of Religion 1
    University 2019: B Commerce/B Laws at Macquarie University

HSC

the STEM myth needs to die

engineering, which is still ok to study, shouldnt be lumped in with the rest of "science" majors

maff, physix and especially "life sciences" like biology are about on par with arts degrees nowadays

i think biology might be the single worst thing you can study of all possible majors but i could be wrong

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by cosmo 2 View Post

engineering, which is still ok to study, shouldnt be lumped in with the rest of "science" majors

maff, physix and especially "life sciences" like biology are about on par with arts degrees nowadays

i think biology might be the single worst thing you can study of all possible majors but i could be wrong
    m8 maths is the best degree

Unless u do pure maths

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not

~just so i belong~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

Executive Member
    HSC

Do a trade if u want money

Invest responsibly, legit can FIRE at 25

HSC

It's not so much what you do, it's what you do with it. Obviously, some degrees are stronger than others, but a lot of times success or failure comes down to people not knowing how to manage their career and failing to work on it during university. Like, people say Arts degrees are worthless, but I think people fail to recognise the full reason why Arts students fail to find jobs. With Arts, most people who study it either dont know what they really want to do, or they are doing something with Arts that is a passion, not a future career path. If you go into an Arts degree with a clear view of what you want to do for a career, then you can make moves during university to ensure you have a role going forward. Ive hired a few Arts graduates in my time, recently I hired one around their mid 20s and their starting salary was nearly $150k (they did have several years industry experience).

If you look at engineering, again career management plays a big role - they are in high demand but many graduates go nowhere. Ive hired engineers in their mid-20s earning around the $150k mark and Ive seen friends who have gone unemployed in engineering because they havent really tried to do anything in the way of career development during university.

Long story short, when you get to uni, start working on gaining practical, relevant experience. If you just study for exams and do the degree, good luck.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Can confirm lmaoo

HSC
    Uni Grad

I'd say those with science or engineering backgrounds may need to think beyond the obvious career paths and what are the longer term potential options where they can add value. I work with quite a few STEM people in my role (I work in banking consulting) and really appreciate the very logical and structured approach, as well as the ability to not just understand complex problems to build scripts/solutions.

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

HSC

$666 a week

HSC

This might just be something I was told to encourage me to do what I want, but I heard that a lot of banks and finance places employ people with math degrees because of the type of 'higher order thinking' it requires. And then they appreciate a business diploma (e.g. from tafe) on the side. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    This might just be something I was told to encourage me to do what I want, but I heard that a lot of banks and finance places employ people with math degrees because of the type of 'higher order thinking' it requires. And then they appreciate a business diploma (e.g. from tafe) on the side. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
    I had dinner with Jane Street employees a while back, and they mentioned that the vast majority of their employees are maths and computer science majors, with very few commerce graduates. They also don't give a shit whether you have studied finance before, as they train their new recruits regardless. Optiver seems to be similar, so it appears that at the very least, modern trading firms go out of their way to get maths/stats/comp sci graduates.

I kind of doubt that firms would just hire maths majors on the basis of equating maths qualifications with some kind of an intelligence test, but hey, I'll take that compliment.
    Last edited by sida1049; 5 Jul 2018 at 8:02 PM.

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) III, USYD

Executive Member
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    I had dinner with Jane Street employees a while back, and they mentioned that the vast majority of their employees are maths and computer science majors, with very few commerce graduates. They also don't give a shit whether you have studied finance before, as they train their new recruits regardless. Optiver seems to be similar, so it appears that at the very least, modern trading firms go out of their way to get maths/stats/comp sci graduates.

I kind of doubt that firms would just hire maths majors on the basis of equating maths qualifications with some kind of an intelligence test, but hey, I'll take that compliment.
    Can confirm Sida is a maths god, 10/10 will QED again

Executive Member
    HSC

@OP, Check out some whirlpool threads or australian finance subreddits if you want a good answer, but it would be great if you specify a job title, location and company.

HSC

Healthcare is the fastest growing sector in Australia, and has obvious job security. Graduate numbers are also high though, graduate unemployment does exist. If you go rural/regional, prospects are somewhat better.
    studygirl118 likes this.

HSC
    Uni Grad

There's also great surveys out there from recruitment agencies and the like.

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

Cadet
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon View Post

Thanks!
    Average salary/income in Sydney is definitely not $80,000. I think this figure is skewed because of the minority who earns way more than the rest of Sydneysiders.

The question is not about being poor. It's more about how much do you need to earn in Sydney to live comfortably.

In regards to what degrees have wider employment opportunity in the future. I agree that healthcare is a growing demand with the ageing population, data scientist is another one as big data is going to be a surging interest in the future. How to analyse the data and become a useful information.
    Recently Australia just opened up a space agency so there is going to be another opportunity there.
    Space exploration is not just about firing rockets to space, you will have a base, with satellites dishes, telecommunication arrays, etc. In this case, a field of engineering is going to excel such as civil, electrical, telecommunication, aerospace, mechanical, robotic.

In this aspect engineering is going to be in higher demands.
    Even for old school engineering such as civil engineering. With more population moving and living into the city, this place pressure on the existing infrastructure than the city can cope and hence infrastructure are being upgraded or constructed such as Sydney Metro and Westconnex. I can say that civil engineering is currently more in demand than ever. Though this is probably a boom season.

Cadet
    HSC

Hi enoilgam, did the university they go to have any factor in them earning that much? like for example if he went to UTS for engineering instead of USYD/UNSW for engineering, would that make a difference?
    Last edited by cherryboi; 3 Aug 2018 at 1:19 AM.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by si2136 View Post
    @OP, Check out some whirlpool threads or australian finance subreddits if you want a good answer, but it would be great if you specify a job title, location and company.
    Everyone on whirlpool earns over 200k its amazing
    seremify007 likes this.

2016 ATAR: >90
    2017-2020: Bachelor of Applied Finance/Bachelor of Commerce (Professional Accounting) @ Mq Uni

Cadet
    HSC
    Uni Grad

It doesn't matter which university you go to. The more experience you have, the more money you will earn. So get an engineering job as soon as you can even when you're at uni.

Executive Member
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by enghero View Post
    It doesn't matter which university you go to. The more experience you have, the more money you will earn. So get an engineering job as soon as you can even when you're at uni.
    lol @ engineering

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by cherryboi View Post
    Hi enoilgam, did the university they go to have any factor in them earning that much? like for example if he went to UTS for engineering instead of USYD/UNSW for engineering, would that make a difference?
    No it wouldnt - it has never been raised by a HM. You have to remember, we get applications from all over the country and even overseas, so you dont just see UNSW/USYD graduates.
    Moderator: Modern History, Legal Studies, Studies of Religion (SOR), Commerce/Business and The University of Notre Dame Australia

Essay Guides:
    - Modern History
    - Legal Studies
    -
    Ex-HSC Student (2010) ****
    Advanced English l Maths 2U l Economics l Legal Studies l Modern History l Studies of Religion I

Thread Information