Page 5 of 650 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: The Woolworths Thread

HSC

Re: The Woolworths Thread

Hey, does anyone know if induction and training is paid at the same rate as your normal rate of pay? I did 10 hours all up and got paid slightly less than my wage rate. No biggie but just wondering how it works.

HSC

Got offer for service cashier today. =)

Induction tomorrow and Monday, first shift Wednesday.

(Do you get free alcohol for being a liquor assistant? )

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah168
    Hey, does anyone know if induction and training is paid at the same rate as your normal rate of pay? I did 10 hours all up and got paid slightly less than my wage rate. No biggie but just wondering how it works.
    maybe training is paid at the probation rate? induction certainly is

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by vulgarfraction
    Got offer for service cashier today. =)

Induction tomorrow and Monday, first shift Wednesday.

(Do you get free alcohol for being a liquor assistant? )
    haha, i wish!!

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by townie
    maybe training is paid at the probation rate? induction certainly is
    They only differ by about 60c/hr but the money I was paid for induction varied by more than $3/hr from my wage rate.

I might make sure I'm being paid the right wage for my age when I start working next week. Thanks anyway Townie.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by mouz
    Can anyone help, i have a problem here. I applied for a service cashier position and got the job, I had my induction and was told to call up my store to find out when they would require me to work.
    So i called up my store and they said if I could come in on Thursday when I'd be at the register with another worker (as I have no idea how to operate registers and wasn't tought how to, as part of the induction). Only problem is when i gave in my availability times Thursday was not part of them. Soo whyyyy are they telling me to come on Thurs, should I just go?? And also when are they gonne gimme the roster?? Any help would be great! Thanks.
    Yeh when you are training you generally have to fit in with their times.
    Are you a casual or part time? You need to either figure out your contract (if part time) or availability (the store doesnt get or care about whatever you filled out online) if casual, once you finish your three training shifts, and you do this with your service manager.
    In your probation period I wouldnt recommend you take alot of time off.. you have a report written about you at 4 weeks, 7 weeks and 11 weeks.. then they can choose to keep or fire you. At our store we are close to letting go a couple of really unreliable newbies.. but our problem is not having enough staff for Christmas so we might have to keep them depending on if we can get new staff or not.

Bachelor of Education (Primary) @ ACU National
    Certificate in Languages (Croatian) @ Macquarie University (Completed in 2006)

HSC

Crap, I'm taking off a whole midweek (5 days) and one other day for exams. They don't seem to mind...yet. Hopefully, my 100% flexibility after exams might help. Gahh!

HSC

Re: Woolworths FAQ- how to get a job

how long does it usually take for them to contact u after your online application?

HSC

It depends on availability and timing.

I applied tonnes after my HSC and first year uni but I applied AFTER my exams so it was mid Nov and they already finished hiring around my area. So, no calls and no job at all.

But this year, I decided to be a little more astute and applied early when positions started appearing on the Wowcareers site (around mid to end Oct) and got a call the day after apps closed. Went for a group interview the next day. Got a call for a store interview the day after and got the job 2 hours after the store interview.

Soyeah, depends if positions are available and your timing. Try to apply for a specific position on the site rather than a general application.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by resume
    To obtain a position at Woolworths that utilizes my strong mathematical abilities, good people skills and hard-working nature. I’m highly motivated and talented and believe my skills can be used with great success at Woolworths.
    Hey it isnt like maths with algebra and stuff like that right? cause i cant do that efficiently

HSC

Try to apply for a specific position on the site rather than a general application.
    Totally correct. I had my details on their database for a year and a half, but when i applied for a specific position, i had an interview within 2 days of submitting an application.
    i've now been there just under 3 months

HSC

I kept yawning during the videos .
    The induction videos are sooooo BORING. They're just so general and aren't relevant at all for those on checkouts. I mean, if you were in deli or nightfill then maybe they wouldnt be so boring, but there wasn't one bit of useful information (that wasn't just common sense) for checkout staff.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan
    Hey it isnt like maths with algebra and stuff like that right? cause i cant do that efficiently
    Algebra in Woolies :rofl:

No, you just gotta be able to add and subtract properly to avoid issues at the register.

I'm just starting and haven't dealt with a register and money/change for 3 years so I screwed up a few times with denominations for change haha.

HSC

gah! that should be easy...checkouts are awesome, although i like packing more cause they bother you less and stuff like that

HSC

No, you just gotta be able to add and subtract properly to avoid issues at the register.
    As if you even need that.

I agree on the boring bit. I had my first induction today, I was just.... really really bored. But I survived, with a lot of coffee.

HSC

Well, counting out change, probably not but I hate it when people give you a huge pile of change and you barely have room on your hands to count it out and make sure you're getting it right while everyone else starts getting pissed off an impatient :mad1:

Not an Executive Member
    HSC

Wow...

Day 8 of working at Safeway, on the three months probation and I get given a permanent part-time position (employed a casual)...Interesting.

9 hours on cup day...woooo...lol

HSC

is this the same for bigw?

Not an Executive Member
    HSC

Well, it isn't for Safeway...which is why I mentioned it.

I remember being told explicitly that everyone is employed as a casual during probation, and people don't usually get given a contract until after it.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur_

I remember being told explicitly that everyone is employed as a casual during probation, and people don't usually get given a contract until after it.
    oh i mean the whole employment process (ref post 1)

Not an Executive Member
    HSC

I'd say it's pretty similar in structure....just slightly different activities in the interview process - and even this is pretty similar.

Although, as I've mentioned before, there is no more phone interview stage as far as I know and the group assessment skill check (well, it's actually some form of psychological test :S) include other things too. I'll leave you to find out when you get there.

www.wowcareers.com.au

Apply there, you'll be invited to a group assessment if they like your online app, then you'll get a store interview, an offer and then induction/training.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Excalibur_; 4 Nov 2006 at 10:31 PM.

HSC

I'd say it's pretty similar in structure....just slightly different activities in the interview process - and even this is pretty similar.

www.wowcareers.com.au

Apply there, you'll be invited to a group assessment if they like your online app, then you'll get a store interview, an offer and then induction/training.

Good luck!
    haha yeah beats being a jobless fucker lol
    thanks dude

Not an Executive Member
    HSC

Haha...I wouldn't on checkouts much though! I still have recurring dreams of serving customers at 3am, which I subsequently wake up from.

Cadet
    HSC

They can't discriminate you because they higher alot students either school or uni so they have to accept it. If not you could always tell the union and get the union to whinge at them

Hmm..Plumpton..Well at Big W one that I work at it is sometimes okay but we always seem to get the weirdest or rudest customers there. I'm still a bit pissed when I put my unavailability for my hsc exams six weeks before the exams I got called up the week before the exams and the beginning of the exam weeks to work. I would have understood if someone mixed up once but the same lady twice in a row called me up if I could work even though I told her my exams start soon..grr...

There are also seems to be cases of favouritism there at the store too because one of the girls I have befriended there has asked for about a year to get moved out of another area to checkouts and some other girl got put in the area she requested even though she hasn't been working as long...Oh and once I got asked to work in layby but I couldn't as I was going to tafe that day and when I told a manager that he was like 'oh..can't you miss it or something' and because I said no I was never asked since.

I got blamed once for letting someone steal something because apparently this customer came up to me with about 3 pots with 3 hidden fluffy detergents inside and I only scanned one of each. I apolgised, got warned that if it happens to many times I could lose my job and all that. But the day or two after that problem I actually remembered scanning one of each but I timsed the amount by 3...It was too late then.

Oh and at Blacktown Big W this manager that doesn't like my friend or some other people fired my friend without letting her know because she apparently did not work for 30 shifts she was put down on the roster for. But the thing was she put an unavaliability sheet in during that time because she was studying for hsc and the store lost it and to top it off she wasn't called when she missed the shifts.

HSC

I got a contract straight away for permanent Part-time

Page 5 of 650 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast

Thread Information