Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Where do you Work? (Employment Advice Line)

HSC

Re: Part Time Job Help

Currently I'm in the Prestons, and I've been looking into woolies, coles, etc. with nothing.

makes the woosh noises ^CoSMic DoRiS^^'s Avatar
    HSC

Yeah woolies and coles doesn't get you that far unless you're living where most of the vacancies are...and even when you do apply they can take a million years to get back to you, so I wouldn't hold my breath. If you're quick you might be able to grab a christmas casual job somewhere, but you'd need to apply like, today, most places have more or less wrapped up their summer hiring.

If you can't find anything now just hang in there and apply next year after the christmas rush, that may be partly why you're having trouble because some places do like to over-recruit this time of year (I had this experience at cotton on, it's not fun)
    Ten thousand dollars at the drop of a hat, I'd give it all gladly, if our lives could be like that.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by elienaim
    Currently I'm in the Prestons, and I've been looking into woolies, coles, etc. with nothing.
    With Woolies (from my experience) it's really just a case of getting lucky with what's online [e.g. I got my job as they'd recently sacked a bunch of people from deli, desperately needed new staff and so I got called the morning after I lodged my application and asked to come to a group interview that same day, had my one on one interview the day after and was called that afternoon and offered the job]. Keep checking the website every few days (if not every day) and you might be lucky enough to find a vacancy, but yeah as Doris said most Christmas Casual positions will have gone already.

HSC
    N/A

any1 know accounting firms which has work experience for year 10/11 students?

HSC

I have put in 20+ resumes/applications and have not receieved one callback/interview yet. I do have an itnerview (first) at a fruit shop tomorrow though.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by davidbarnes
    have not receieved one callback/interview yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbarnes
    I do have an itnerview (first) at a fruit shop tomorrow though.
    Don't these two statements contradict each other, lol.
    Anyway, good luck with the interview.

HSC

Re: Employment Advice Line

Is it a bad idea to have more than one job?
    Last edited by akrinis; 15 Dec 2008 at 3:30 PM.
    Advanced English |||
    2U MATHS
    |
    Visual Arts ||||
    Legal Studies
    |||||
    Biology
    |||
    Economics |||

HSC
    N/A

Question Re: Employment Advice Line

Would really appreciate any advice for the following please:

I need some advice on what i can do within the woolworths company regaurding my options. For starters ive worked at woolworths almost 4 years permanent part time at the same queensland store. My most recent Groceries manager wont give me any more hours due to 'budget' and as hes really the kind to not make decisions and blames it on the store manager.

Now i need to know what my options are;
    1) I changed my 16 hour roster to one thats 7.5 hours for a short time as i had other commitments, now he wont give me anymore hours/shifts than that. I have read in an agreement somewhere (and others telling me) that as a permenant part timer i HAVE to work 10 or more hours MINIMUM . Was wondering if i forefit the woolworths agreement of x hours/a month or week because i signed a new mutual agreement from now on and cant go back on it? Also no other departments in that store can take me on for more hours..

2) During Christmas both the store manager and my dept. manager went through and cutback on a lot of peoples hours. As i now am only working one shift a week (7.5hours) i got a phonecall 3 days out from my rostered shift on sunday by my dept manager saying he'd have to cut my shift that week and another random rostered shift i had that week.. I was pretty anoyed at him as he gave me the impression he had no choice and it was the store managers decision yet i know he gets a bonus if they are under budget around xmas.. 2mins later he rings back on his highhorse saying 'he had gone through the files... i had accrude holiday leave would i want to take some of that?' hesitantly i accepted and he said next shift i could sign the paperwork. Next shift i came in the pay office person said 'they couldnt take my only shift and if i didnt want to take the time off i didnt have too as i was p p-t. 'And that she didnt have the paperwork for me to sign/ didnt know about them doing that to me, yet i still got paid hmmm...

Do i have a case to speak to Human Resources/ Head Office / The SDA union about whats going on in my store, or/and to speed the process up, am i being treated fairly? Also I have put in for a transfer 3 months ago and havent heard anything from anyone,not even my store or mangers,,, they have a really back record of just tearing them up im told and coercing staff to stay or just saying on there own back 'other stores cant take you,' etc. I put in another transfer request 2 weeks ago to the pay office and a note to my manager in the diary and havent heard anything. I Have also applied for a vacancy at BWS which i would prefer over woolworths but im guessing id have to wait for the online advertisement to close before i hear anything..

If i did speak to my managers they would be very hesitant to help me, this i am sure. Can i find help elsewhere? My initial step was to ask on this forum..

Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by schance
    Would really appreciate any advice for the following please:

I need some advice on what i can do within the woolworths company regaurding my options. For starters ive worked at woolworths almost 4 years permanent part time at the same queensland store. My most recent Groceries manager wont give me any more hours due to 'budget' and as hes really the kind to not make decisions and blames it on the store manager.

Now i need to know what my options are;
    1) I changed my 16 hour roster to one thats 7.5 hours for a short time as i had other commitments, now he wont give me anymore hours/shifts than that. I have read in an agreement somewhere (and others telling me) that as a permenant part timer i HAVE to work 10 or more hours MINIMUM . Was wondering if i forefit the woolworths agreement of x hours/a month or week because i signed a new mutual agreement from now on and cant go back on it? Also no other departments in that store can take me on for more hours..

2) During Christmas both the store manager and my dept. manager went through and cutback on a lot of peoples hours. As i now am only working one shift a week (7.5hours) i got a phonecall 3 days out from my rostered shift on sunday by my dept manager saying he'd have to cut my shift that week and another random rostered shift i had that week.. I was pretty anoyed at him as he gave me the impression he had no choice and it was the store managers decision yet i know he gets a bonus if they are under budget around xmas.. 2mins later he rings back on his highhorse saying 'he had gone through the files... i had accrude holiday leave would i want to take some of that?' hesitantly i accepted and he said next shift i could sign the paperwork. Next shift i came in the pay office person said 'they couldnt take my only shift and if i didnt want to take the time off i didnt have too as i was p p-t. 'And that she didnt have the paperwork for me to sign/ didnt know about them doing that to me, yet i still got paid hmmm...

Do i have a case to speak to Human Resources/ Head Office / The SDA union about whats going on in my store, or/and to speed the process up, am i being treated fairly? Also I have put in for a transfer 3 months ago and havent heard anything from anyone,not even my store or mangers,,, they have a really back record of just tearing them up im told and coercing staff to stay or just saying on there own back 'other stores cant take you,' etc. I put in another transfer request 2 weeks ago to the pay office and a note to my manager in the diary and havent heard anything. I Have also applied for a vacancy at BWS which i would prefer over woolworths but im guessing id have to wait for the online advertisement to close before i hear anything..

If i did speak to my managers they would be very hesitant to help me, this i am sure. Can i find help elsewhere? My initial step was to ask on this forum..

Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks
    There are a lot of experienced Woolies people in the Woolworths Thread in this forum who could help you, try asking there if you haven't already.

IMO it all sounds a bit dodgy, but I have no idea how woolies works except that it sounds like miles of red tape and more hassle than is worth bothering with, lol.
    Ten thousand dollars at the drop of a hat, I'd give it all gladly, if our lives could be like that.

HSC

i work at hungry jackssss
    2011 UNI
    B Science/B Laws
    University of Queensland

2010 HSC
    Eng Adv
    Maths EX2
    Maths EX1
    Chemistry
    Physics

2010 ATAR

“Don't wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what. Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident and more and more successful.” Combat procastination.

Cadet
    HSC

i worked at both supanews and newspower newsagencies for the past three years.

both are franchises, but operate pretty differently

more than happy to reply to pm's that are newsagency based, or specific questions about applying, payrates and ALL the stuff they don't tell you when you start.
    UWS Business/Commerce (International Business/ABL) @ Parra '11

HSC

i work at a chinese resturaunt. and no, i am not of asian descent.

=)
    I'll spit in the mouth of a God who whispers in the minds of our children
    Set fire to the hive as you flee! It's fiction, a faceless illusion.

HSC 2009: English Extension II, Modern History, General Mathematics, Chemistry

The last of her kind. Staseycat's Avatar
    HSC

Re: Where do you Work? (Employment Advice Line)

Sandwich stack Didn't even get an interview. Just handed in the resume and was told that I'm going to have a trial the next day (start of february)
    UNCLE '14

"I’m your new undercover agent, on loan from Scotland Yard, code name “The Doctor”. These are my top operatives, the legs, the nose and Mrs. Robinson."

HSC

K to the F to the C
    BMedia@MQ

HSC

Pizza Hut
    Usyd: bCom/Arts

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by davidbarnes View Post
    I have put in 20+ resumes/applications and have not receieved one callback/interview yet. I do have an itnerview (first) at a fruit shop tomorrow though.
    I know this is old. But did you get the job?
    I've been working in a fruit shop (6.00 starts) since last December. Not fun.

Semiotic Forums - General chat. Politics. Religion. Issues. Headline News. Lifestyle. Join Today!

HSC

I work at Cargo bar
    B Bus. & Com. - Accounting @ UWS Parramatta '09 | ManUtd Supporter

HSC

i thought maccas was pretty bad but it actually turned out well =] the managers are nice and amazingly they're all really tight xD im a newbie and all my co-workers are nice too

HSC

I got a job at my local club (Marconi, for those of you playing at home).

It's good work while I'm at uni, although I do miss having friday and saturday nights off.
    If she was a president she'd be Babe-raham Lincoln.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by scarybunny View Post
    I got a job at my local club (Marconi, for those of you playing at home).

It's good work while I'm at uni, although I do miss having friday and saturday nights off.
    I will be there on saturday night

am being dragged to someone's 21st who I do not know

Is it a nice place?

HSC

I work at Boland Funerals

HSC

Can you get me a job at Boland Funerals? I'm desperate for money

HSC

ive recently got accepted at gloria jeans strathfield, starting my training next mon...
    subjects: standard english, 2 unit maths, music, legal studies, business studies, french beginners.

uai aim: 85++

HSC

Jb hi fi

Cadet
    HSC

Hi, I work at General Pants Co.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information