Self-learning or tutoring? (1 Viewer)

fly-away

HSC
N/A
Hi to all, i'd like to know your opinions (=

Just a few questions to all,
Do you think self-learning is better than tutoring? Or the other way around? And why (=

Do you think that self-learning will allow a person to do better?

And, do you go to tutor and how well do you do?

>> May i also ask if anyone has done very well for their HSC without a tutor at all? How much work did you have to put in?

Last edited:

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I have never used a tutor.

I think self learning is better if you can do it. I think you acquire life-long skills in organizing yourself and managing your own learning that way. You kinda learn how to learn, I guess. Also, it is a big boost for your self esteem and self confidence.

However, if you are not very self-disciplined, or you have no idea of where to start, it may be best to get a tutor. I guess you need to ask yourself why you really need a tutor - if it is just that you're not putting the time and effort into your studies, then a tutor is not going to help you.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Tutoring is an epic fail for me. I barely learn anything.

Sonata

HSC
i prefer self-learning more rewarding in a way

fly-away

HSC
N/A
I agree with the responses, and i definitely feel that self-learning is more rewarding.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I go to tutoring, however, at the same time, I do believe that tutoring for some particular subjects (English), can be useless. I also believe that the effectiveness of tutoring varies from person to person.

jellybelly59

HSC
i perfer tutoring as there is a professional who can guide me in my studies... H8 self-learning because i grasp aimlessly at the syllabus and don't know where to start. Also obtaining resources for self-study really sucks because i dont know which are good.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
fly-away said:
Do you think self-learning is better than tutoring? Or the other way around? And why (=
If you can do it, self-learning is good. However, it's better if you also do it in combination with tutoring. It's hard to put all the pieces of the puzzle together without some direction and no, the order in which they put information in textbooks is not sufficient.

fly-away said:
Do you think that self-learning will allow a person to do better?
Like I said, self-learning and tutoring together I reckon is probably better.

fly-away said:
And, do you go to tutor and how well do you do?
Yep I go and I do well. Top 10 in basically all my subjects.

fly-away

HSC
N/A
oh wow, everyone seems to be doing really well here!

I'm trying to figure out whether i should try to discipline myself or take up tutor. I'd really like to do well in school and i'm wondering whether it is possible to get a very high uai (say 95+) even if i am attending a school that is ranked >400.

Thanks for all the opinions btw!

joseph.chan.08

HSC
Self Learning is usually by far more effective, and you don't waste money either, but sometimes it can help.

I used to get maths tutoring because I never did any homework, now I get it because it saves me time. Tutoring can help for certain subjects, if you get stumped, especially on subjects like extension 2 maths.

If you try hard but can't get anywhere, you probably need someone to guide u in the right direction to start off with. Tutoring might help in this instance, it also might not.

On the whole, self study seems the best, you learn everything better and it gets stuck in your mind. In the end it really depends what subjects you're doing, how well u can work on your own and what goals you want.

Just self learn and if your school has half decent teachers, then get their help. Once you get it right, you'll realize that you just keep doing well, even if you don't study a lot. You can get any UAI, even 100, without tutoring, thats a fact.

Chosta

Sydney
HSC
I've been on both sides of the fence (a white one :p) in terms of trying to self study and get tutoring. Now i've even tutored other kids for 4years and i've seen all the types.

It all comes down to how YOU study.

Can you read 2 pages of a book (in a sitting) trying to follow a logical thought process? If you can, then you probably don't need a tutor. Alot of students do not have the patience or the attention span to continually string along a thought process whilst reading for a long period of time (Classic example is physics). I had tutoring from when i was in primary, but i can't say the reason for my achievements (or lack of) is due to tutoring. I would say it is determination more than ever. Just recall all those friday/saturday nights sitting at your desk thinking whether you should start your assignment and open your school bag for the first time, OR go surf the net? those small procrastinations are what you need to target.

Sorry for dragging this comment on, but self-learning and tutoring should be used in cohesion. "tutoring" is anything extra cirricular to help you with your studies. Doesn't need to be in a classroom or with a paid teacher. Self-learn, and where you get stuck, seek tutoring. Best of both worlds!!!

PS. Cheapest tutors are your school teachers (no $$$!). Catch them right after class and ask them a question every period...extra advice/tips and brownie points helps.

Last edited:

fly-away

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the comments, i feel more motivated now! (=

Ahaha, i like long comments Chosta :)

The thing is, many people have said that the true 'bright' (or successful) students are the people who are able to self-learn. Maybe it is because they are more motivated and dedicated? Or maybe it is because after school, it is up to yourself. =='

I guess i'll have to see my abilities then! :D

runnable

HSC
Just remember the rank of your school does not affect your UAI at all.

You can know of your ability if you can't even come first in your low-ranked school. If you can, you are in no worse position than the Dux of say, James Ruse.

fly-away

HSC
N/A
I'm doing alright in school :)
First in a few subjects and top 10 in the rest. Just glad to know that school rank wouldn't affect my HSC. Guess it all depends on the individual then.

Chosta

Sydney
HSC
Even if school ranking mattered (which it doesn't) how should that change your attitude to study? Its a factor out of your control, so it should be out of your mind as well!

Your ranking in your school is more important...try and beat every student in your grade, and if you can, your gaurenteed a good mark.

fly-away

HSC
N/A
Oh no, i didn't mean to say that ranking of school changing my attitude towards study. It is assumed (basically from all the people i know) that people with higher ranking schools have a better chance of doing well because of the studious and academically well-rounded students there along with the more advanced teaching. But whatever it is, i guess my main goal is to improve myself academically.

fly-away

HSC
N/A
May i also ask if anyone has done very well for their HSC without a tutor at all? How much work did you have to put in?

(Just edited that into first post.)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
fly-away said:
May i also ask if anyone has done very well for their HSC without a tutor at all? How much work did you have to put in?

(Just edited that into first post.)
im sure the answer would be 'yes' and 'a lot'

fly-away

HSC
N/A
A lot?! Wow i have always thought a majority of people go tutor, leaving very few succeeding purely with self-study. Maybe it's because everyone i know besides a couple of people and myself or tutored.

Self-study does seem like a heavy heavy load of work and thinking though =='

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)