Is tutoring artificial intelligence? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaldoking

HSC
I find that tutoring is artificial intelligence, post your views.

chaldoking

HSC
scaredytiger said:
learn english. its superficial, not artificial.
Its actually artificial - seeing as tutoring reflects on a students inability to learn themselves, and learn about things which are relevant to life. Most of the times students are forced to attend tutoring by parents, hence the "knowledge" they reap is artificial - fake. Eg. I ask a student who attends tutoring a question based on a topic - and they answer "Let me ask my tutor." In this case, is tutoring a basis for forming artificial intelligence?

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
Tutoring is HARDLY artificial intelligence, and I must say, your argument is kind of pointless.

A tutor is the equivalent of a teacher, and so basically you're learning either way. I could use your argument and say learning at school is "artificial intelligence" because you're simply not teaching it to yourself.

Obviously if you have difficulty understanding your teacher/have a shitastic teacher, you'll need a tutor to teach you all the things your teacher has failed to. You'd also need a tutor if you are struggling with school work, and tutors are available outside of school hours (when your teacher isn't, so really, a substitute for your teacher).

Having a tutor has nothing to do with "artificial intelligence".

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
It would depend on the type of tutoring as to whether it is "artificial intelligence". As one who has tutored, but also resisted getting their own children tutored...

It was once said to me that I should get my gifted son tutored so he could get into a selective school. He was already gifted, why would he need tutoring. Then I was told, "well, you wouldn't let your son run a long distance race without training." No, but I also wouldn't let him run the race on performance enhancing drugs, either.

If the tutoring is to help with the learning process, and to fill in gaps, extend, etc help the student understand the work and be able to to do it for themselves, and then progress that understanding and ability into further life (and even Uni) then tutoring is worthwhile. This is training for a long distance race.

If tutoring is just so one can pass a test, or get into an Oooportunity Class or Selective School or such, ie test specific tutoring that "hot houses" for a test, helps people learn the format of questions, format of essays (and makes them memorise them) rather than being able to formulate any sort of essay or composition at the drop of a hat, this is not right. This is performance enhancing drugs, this is artificial intelligence. People who get this sort of tutoring should be asking themselves, are they really prepaing themselves to learn or just to pass the test, get a good result (and dare I say it) get a top UAI. A top UAI means nothing if you get to Uni and fail because you can't do the drop of a hat, unformatted work.

Just be careful about what sort of tutoring you get and make sure its the training sort and not the drugs.

That's my rant. BTW my GIFTED son did not get into a Selective School and EVERYONE was shocked.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
If you're getting spoon fed the HSC, if you're writing mass produced essays that 20 other people will replicate in the HSC... then yeah, you're cheating yourself.

It's kinda ironic that by doing this, you're screwing yourself in the ass when it comes to university.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Um...I find English tutoring sorta useless, however, for Maths, Physics and Chemistry, I find that tutoring does really help me. So I say, no, it isn't 'artificial intelligence'.

SimonLee13

HSC
alcalder said:
It would depend on the type of tutoring as to whether it is "artificial intelligence". As one who has tutored, but also resisted getting their own children tutored...

It was once said to me that I should get my gifted son tutored so he could get into a selective school. He was already gifted, why would he need tutoring. Then I was told, "well, you wouldn't let your son run a long distance race without training." No, but I also wouldn't let him run the race on performance enhancing drugs, either.

If the tutoring is to help with the learning process, and to fill in gaps, extend, etc help the student understand the work and be able to to do it for themselves, and then progress that understanding and ability into further life (and even Uni) then tutoring is worthwhile. This is training for a long distance race.

If tutoring is just so one can pass a test, or get into an Oooportunity Class or Selective School or such, ie test specific tutoring that "hot houses" for a test, helps people learn the format of questions, format of essays (and makes them memorise them) rather than being able to formulate any sort of essay or composition at the drop of a hat, this is not right. This is performance enhancing drugs, this is artificial intelligence. People who get this sort of tutoring should be asking themselves, are they really prepaing themselves to learn or just to pass the test, get a good result (and dare I say it) get a top UAI. A top UAI means nothing if you get to Uni and fail because you can't do the drop of a hat, unformatted work.

Just be careful about what sort of tutoring you get and make sure its the training sort and not the drugs.

That's my rant. BTW my GIFTED son did not get into a Selective School and EVERYONE was shocked.
Why the hell wouldn't you take performance enhancing drugs if it was legal? Every athlete, if it was, they would be on it in an instant. Do you regret not sending your "Gifted Child" to tutoring as a means to get into a selective school? Btw gifted children usually possess a whole range of skills which are not tested at all in the selective exam.

chaldoking

HSC
Thanks for your comments guys, they were great! Except for the couple at the start that did not really pose any opinion. But I don't wish to offend anyone that attends tutoring, I am merely saying I hate it when I see people go tutoring - sort of lose their own ability to think and come to a reasonable conclusion about something, even if their bright and smart without it. So yeah, I think people all have the potential to be great students, and all students are smart in their own way, yet I believe tutoring causes students to become too reliant and use their own brains less - I see it in my school all the time. Hence, university is way too difficult for people that have become too reliant.

alcalder said:

I love your views - sorry to hear about your son, I am sure he will be on top of the state and on top all those selective students :)

Last edited by a moderator:

bubblesss

HSC
chaldoking said:
Thanks for your comments guys, they were great! Except for the couple at the start that did not really pose any opinion. But I don't wish to offend anyone that attends tutoring, I am merely saying I hate it when I see people go tutoring - sort of lose their own ability to think and come to a reasonable conclusion about something, even if their bright and smart without it. So yeah, I think people all have the potential to be great students, and all students are smart in their own way, yet I believe tutoring causes students to become too reliant and use their own brains less - I see it in my school all the time. Hence, university is way too difficult for people that have become too reliant.

you have got it the wrong way. ofcourse tutoring is NOT artificial intelligence. it just helps u catch up on missed work.

xMrRand0m

HSC
chaldoking said:

chaldoking said:
If you want tutoring that actually goes to something - this guy is the man to go to!

His ability in Maths 2/3/4 Unit is beyond belief.

He has an excellent method of teaching and everything just sticks.

Thus, his very well read and knows his stuff - im pretty sure its much better than my own teachers ability.

GO FOR GOLD AND GET GABRIEL! YOU WILL REGRET IT IF YOU DON'T!

Thank God I came across your great service, You have made my workload a whole heap easier and more understandable. Thanks :)
Intelligence is intelligence kid. There's no such thing as 'artificial' intelligence. A good tutor actual gets its students to think A LOT more than those do at school. Well, it's okay to get beaten at school, you know, don't have to go blaming it on kids that go to tutor. Take Mathematics for example, most people get tutored for Mathematics, and for that subject, you can't create 'artificial' intelligence. It's either that you're normal and you have the brains, logic and memory to be good at it, or you're just plain stupid and you can't think. Most students who excel in english are the latter description, i.e. they suck at Maths, always relying on books and making up bullshit. Face it, most students that are good at english, usually do either general or only 2 unit maths. Additionally, didn't you post up that a guy that goes by the name of "Gabriel"has made your workload much easier? Thus, he is your tutor. So stop being so hypocritical, you also said yourself, that your tutor's ability surpasses that of your teacher's and so, you've even experienced it for yourself; tutor's are beneficial and hence, students who go to tutors are not obtaining artificial intelligence.

chaldoking

HSC
xMrRand0m said:
Intelligence is intelligence kid. There's no such thing as 'artificial' intelligence. A good tutor actual gets its students to think A LOT more than those do at school. Well, it's okay to get beaten at school, you know, don't have to go blaming it on kids that go to tutor. Take Mathematics for example, most people get tutored for Mathematics, and for that subject, you can't create 'artificial' intelligence. It's either that you're normal and you have the brains, logic and memory to be good at it, or you're just plain stupid and you can't think. Most students who excel in english are the latter description, i.e. they suck at Maths, always relying on books and making up bullshit. Face it, most students that are good at english, usually do either general or only 2 unit maths. Additionally, didn't you post up that a guy that goes by the name of "Gabriel"has made your workload much easier? Thus, he is your tutor. So stop being so hypocritical, you also said yourself, that your tutor's ability surpasses that of your teacher's and so, you've even experienced it for yourself; tutor's are beneficial and hence, students who go to tutors are not obtaining artificial intelligence.
Yes, I did go to Gabriel - but do you know why? Because I moved to 2 unit maths and had to complete 3 topics, and so I was wanting to know the workload etc. And I have no tutoring anymore, I know its negative consequences, Like becoming to reliant. And it is artificial intelligence for another reason - I did not seek to do Maths, our school actually forces it. So I did not want to learn maths. And I beat half the people that have tutoring, because I teach myself everything now. I was experimenting with tutoring, dont get me wrong I have nothing against people that go tutoring, but theres a line - you cannot be too reliant.

xMrRand0m said:
What I am trying to say is that tutoring provides an avenue for students to become way too reliant. I did go tutoring for like 3 lessons to be completely honest - I found then that I was able to tutor myself. The reason why Gabriel helped me, was because I had to complete 3 whole topics in 2 days. I know people that do 4 unit maths, and 4 unit english aswell as history extension - so there goes ur arguments. The Lord Jesus Christ is helping me in everything I do, He has enabled me to understand and employ the mind He has given to me to every situation!

Last edited by a moderator:

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
alcalder said:

Alot of what you said was interesting, but I have to point out that there is a fine line between tutoring '[helping] with the learning process' and 'so one can pass a test'. In nearly all cases, tutoring does both.

I also think your analogy is extremely poor. How is learning the format of questions and especially the format of essays akin to performance enhancing drugs in a race? Are you really serious? To be perfectly honest, what you're saying is laughable. The only time I would agree with you on this point is when other people write you an essay for you to memorise or something like that.

Also, no need to get your son involved in this - it just shows how your argument is subjective.

chaldoking said:
Yep, I was one of the guys at the start (kudos to mods for deleting my post - there are far more offensive posts in other sections of the forums you know). I wonder if they'll censor this section of my post... :rolleyes:

Back to the topic, unfortunately I cannot agree with you on the point that people who go tutoring 'sort of lose their own ability to think and come to a reasonable conclusion about something'. I think you're relying very much on the belief that tutors are there to provide you with information that you can simply memorise - which is simply not the case. I don't know about you, but I find that tutoring is far more mentally stimulating than school. Maybe it's your own experience that you make this point, but it certainly does not speak for me.

xMrRand0m said:
Win.

xMrRand0m

HSC
chaldoking said:
What I am trying to say is that tutoring provides an avenue for students to become way too reliant. I did go tutoring for like 3 lessons to be completely honest - I found then that I was able to tutor myself. The reason why Gabriel helped me, was because I had to complete 3 whole topics in 2 days. I know people that do 4 unit maths, and 4 unit english aswell as history extension - so there goes ur arguments.
chaldoking said:
Yes, I did go to Gabriel - but do you know why? Because I moved to 2 unit maths and had to complete 3 topics, and so I was wanting to know the workload etc. And I have no tutoring anymore, I know its negative consequences, Like becoming to reliant.
Those that do 4 unit maths and 4 unit english are a select few and most of them have tutoring. Well, just because you started becoming reliant on "Gabriel" does not mean other students who go tutoring also become reliant. Referring back to the student that you said had answered your question with "I'll go ask my tutor", I have never heard anyone say that before, and trust me, most of my friends at selective schools have tutors, none of them have ever responded to a question with that sort of answer. What they do, is try to figure it out themselves, thus, using their brains, not that of the tutors that they go to, and hence, are not being reliant. The person who answered your question with that response is probably mentally lazy. 2 unit maths, 3 topics in 2 days is not a lot. In fact, I finished 3 topics in 1 day by myself during last year's holidays, when going to school for an accelerated maths lesson. Also, "What I am trying to say is that tutoring provides an avenue for students to become way too reliant" <- That wasn't the argument that you had posed at the start of this thread, you had said that tutoring provides students with 'artificial' intelligence.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
chaldoking said:
Yes, I did go to Gabriel - but do you know why? Because I moved to 2 unit maths and had to complete 3 topics, and so I was wanting to know the workload etc. And I have no tutoring anymore, I know its negative consequences, Like becoming to reliant. And it is artificial intelligence for another reason - I did not seek to do Maths, our school actually forces it. So I did not want to learn maths. And I beat half the people that have tutoring, because I teach myself everything now. I was experimenting with tutoring, dont get me wrong I have nothing against people that go tutoring, but theres a line - you cannot be too reliant.
How is your school forcing you to do maths any representation of the fact that 'tutoring is artificial intelligence'? Please connect them up for me please - don't try to make it elaborate though, that just shows that the link is weak.

chaldoking said:
What I am trying to say is that tutoring provides an avenue for students to become way too reliant. I did go tutoring for like 3 lessons to be completely honest - I found then that I was able to tutor myself. The reason why Gabriel helped me, was because I had to complete 3 whole topics in 2 days. I know people that do 4 unit maths, and 4 unit english aswell as history extension - so there goes ur arguments. The Lord Jesus Christ is helping me in everything I do, He has enabled me to understand and employ the mind He has given to me to every situation!
I think the moment you mixed religion into this, you kind of lost all integrity. Religion should not be brought into this.

chaldoking

HSC
Continuum said:
Alot of what you said was interesting, but I have to point out that there is a fine line between tutoring '[helping] with the learning process' and 'so one can pass a test'. In nearly all cases, tutoring does both.

I also think your analogy is extremely poor. How is learning the format of questions and especially the format of essays akin to performance enhancing drugs in a race? Are you really serious? To be perfectly honest, what you're saying is laughable. The only time I would agree with you on this point is when other people write you an essay for you to memorise or something like that.

Also, no need to get your son involved in this - it just shows how your argument is subjective.

Yep, I was one of the guys at the start (kudos to mods for deleting my post - there are far more offensive posts in other sections of the forums you know). I wonder if they'll censor this section of my post... :rolleyes:

Back to the topic, unfortunately I cannot agree with you on the point that people who go tutoring 'sort of lose their own ability to think and come to a reasonable conclusion about something'. I think you're relying very much on the belief that tutors are there to provide you with information that you can simply memorise - which is simply not the case. I don't know about you, but I find that tutoring is far more mentally stimulating than school. Maybe it's your own experience that you make this point, but it certainly does not speak for me.

Win.
I'll simply put it this way - what if a student did not have a tutor, would they still be succesful? I would like to see all those people with tutors, do the work without tutors - simply impossible they have become too reliant. If they had real knowledge they would understand the content in class - it is the same concept being taught.

xMrRand0m

HSC
Continuum said:
How is your school forcing you to do maths any representation of the fact that 'tutoring is artificial intelligence'? Please connect them up for me please - don't try to make it elaborate though, that just shows that the link is weak.

I think the moment you mixed religion into this, you kind of lost all integrity. Religion should not be brought into this.
I agree with Continuum, do not bring religion into a totally unrelated topic. Also, if your school does force you to do maths, they did not force you to do 2 unit, they're not allowed to. So, if moving to 2 unit from general maths (I'm assuming you've moved up to 2 unit because of the 'large' workload, if you had moved down from extension, you would find that 2 unit maths is basic knowledge) is too much for you, then why did you do it?

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
chaldoking said:
I'll simply put it this way - what if a student did not have a tutor, would they still be succesful? I would like to see all those people with tutors, do the work without tutors - simply impossible they have become too reliant. If they had real knowledge they would understand the content in class - it is the same concept being taught.
Of course they will be successful. Tutors are not an indication of the person two decades away - that's stupid and you know it.

I think you have also overlooked the fact that the large majority of people do not get tutoring for all the subjects that they do. Alas! Here lies an anomaly! According to you, since they have tutoring for all the other subjects and are thus 'too reliant', they should not be able to excel in the subject they don't have a tutor in. See my point?

Also, I believe you have another misinterpretation about tutoring. People who have tutoring often see it as 'get taught at tutor, allow it to be reinforced at school'. Just because they choose to have what they learnt at tutor to be reinforced at school does not mean that they would otherwise not understand the concept if it is being taught in class. Understanding a concept is very different from being extremely familiar with it. People who do tutoring clearly choose the latter and in doing so, often accomplish the former.

5233andy

HSC
I wouldn't really deem it as 'artificial intelligence' - it's more or less the effort that the individual places into his/her work. In many circumstances, an individual may pay thousands for out of school tuition, for some, it works, whereas it may be the flipside for others.

What you'd find with many institutions is that they focus on work that you may have not covered in class. If an individual has difficulties in an area of their school work and attend tuition classes as though it's their second place of education with different topics being taught, it'll only enhance the confusion that the student may already be experiencing. From personal experience, I've attended various tuition institutions and it's almost apparent that they all enjoy focusing on their own work, rather than that of the individual's needs. I'm obviously not as dumb as I may sound and would bring the troubling homework that I may have experienced in the past. The real problem is when the teachers are reluctant to teach you; utterly impatient; too large of a class; far too little time to attend to needs, etc.

At the moment, I attend tuition classes for Mathematics and Chemistry. I refer to my experience with Mathematics as per above. With Chemistry, the teacher is great - the issue with the class is that it is really behind on the syllabus, meaning that it isn't up to the present stage of most schools. In this sense, it's beneficial as it almost serves as a form of revision, study, if you will.

One can spend thousands on tuition, but if one isn't willing to put the effort into the class nor realise the fact that tuition is perhaps failing them, why bother?

For many, tuition works for them. Great! But does it reflect the fact that your teacher is mediocre with teaching? Face the facts. I know for a fact that many pay thousands for their tuition - I'm unfortunately part of that group. It has worked... but only to an extent. I've since resorted to a mixture of tutoring and study guides to assist me - yes, it has worked - I actually do retain much of my knowledge.

Many individuals use out of school tuition as a replacement for their high school education, more than it should be a supplement. This is the real danger. One can excel in tuition, but fail in school - and vice versa. An individual should really place emphasis on self study through the aid of textbooks, study guides, etc. When issues do arise, consult the teacher, that is, your high school class teacher. Real tuition is with homework help and the like. Real tuition is the clarification of knowledge, rather than it being an extension or an enrichment course. Yes, I do admit to the fact that this is very much so the antithesis of my experience. However, I have not come across a tuition centre that actually focuses on the individual needs. It's almost as though the teacher/coach/whatever focuses on the 'greater good', knowing that there are students who are flying without wings.

THis is my opinion, anyway.
[Is my post even relevant to the topic?]

5233andy

HSC
The words 'tutor' and 'tuition' have really become cliched in this day and age. Is it tuition or is it enrichment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)