What makes a Good Tutor? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
In your opinion, what makes a good tutor?

Spoon-feeding? Giving a lot of past papers? Giving our notes?

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
thinking of taking it up aye namu? :p

Let me think..
- be understanding an empathetic. Saying everything is easy doesn't really help students
- Be willing to explain things in different ways and being patient
- Some flexibility with changing times of tuition
- Spending some time outside the lesson either preparing for the lesson or marking something for the student
- Having a wide range of past papers and comprehensive notes
- Being able to communicate effectively and not just reading your notes in teaching the student. You should be explaining why things are the case and the key details that students should know
- Spoon-Feeding should be done after a quick brainstorm. Try to get the student thinking in certain directions to acheive answers.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
thinking of taking it up aye namu? :p

Let me think..
- be understanding an empathetic. Saying everything is easy doesn't really help students
- Be willing to explain things in different ways and being patient
- Some flexibility with changing times of tuition
- Spending some time outside the lesson either preparing for the lesson or marking something for the student
- Having a wide range of past papers and comprehensive notes
- Being able to communicate effectively and not just reading your notes in teaching the student. You should be explaining why things are the case and the key details that students should know
- Spoon-Feeding should be done after a quick brainstorm. Try to get the student thinking in certain directions to acheive answers.
You are legend, thanks mate. =)

oasfree

HSC
N/A
In your opinion, what makes a good tutor?

Spoon-feeding? Giving a lot of past papers? Giving our notes?
- Make yourself interesting so students won't fall asleep (good humour)
- Know your subjects inside out and always look out for a new way to solve an old problem and communicate this freshness to students
- Be prepared to go back to ground zero when a student cannot understand you explanation
- Plan your explanation, artistically ask questions that lead to solutions rather than feeding solutions to the students
- Encourage students to challenge you on mistakes
- Always think about how to link and network facts to help yourself and your students to understand problems more broadly and more deeply.

I wonder if there are many good teachers out there. I think less than 10% would pass my requirements.

acemusic415

HSC
I personally believe that a good tutor sparks with individuality. I can pretty much advocate for all, in saying that nobody would want a monotonous tutor teacher with blatant teaching methods. IMO, a good tutor has a connection with the student and someone who is qualified also.

ectobiologist

HSC
N/A
Easy to read layout, syllabus point references, variety of questions including both HSC-style and harder questions, answers for EVERY exercise, detailed coverage of syllabus, pracs also included with questions (for science).

hairspray

HSC
-constantly complimenting
-be patient
-be empathetic and know your student's ability
-expose students to hsc type questions
-expect that many students may not know the most basic things (thats why they need tutoring in the first place) and be willing to explain and re-explain basic theories and concepts
-know your subject well enough to explain concepts in several ways
-encourage discussion, the lesson shouldnt be made up of silence where the student has to sit quietly doing questions
-clear notes with examples (no need for PAGES of notes as tutor should encourage students to compile their own notes)

Finally, I believe tutors should focus on the quality of each lesson rather than quantity (rushing through everything to get things done)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
-constantly complimenting
-be patient
-be empathetic and know your student's ability
-expose students to hsc type questions
-expect that many students may not know the most basic things (thats why they need tutoring in the first place) and be willing to explain and re-explain basic theories and concepts
-know your subject well enough to explain concepts in several ways
-encourage discussion, the lesson shouldnt be made up of silence where the student has to sit quietly doing questions
-clear notes with examples (no need for PAGES of notes as tutor should encourage students to compile their own notes)

Finally, I believe tutors should focus on the quality of each lesson rather than quantity (rushing through everything to get things done)
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I find that trait to be very important. I have been tutoring kids at school and during my own time...that really helps motivating people! xD

lychnobity

HSC
Knowing the student as a person, as opposed to just another client. I find it easier to teach someone something if you know them well enough and can explain concepts in a way they would understand. (But this would apply only to English, where very muddy concepts need to be clarified, and abstract thinking can't quite be explained so easily)

Not making any mistakes, perhaps only minor calculator errors

Being able to give clear examples

Answering all questions, regardless of how 'obvious' or 'stupid' they may seem. And no avoiding answering them either.

Not relying on textbooks, or readily available notes

Willing to go the extra mile to help outside of class hours

Constantly checks the student is doing the work correctly (ie don't set exercises that don't get checked)

Create an environment where the student won't feel crucified if they make mistakes/ask questions.

Can't be arrogant. No mention of the word 'just' either.

q3thefish

HSC
For maths, she has to have all the right curves..

.. for integration of course.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Thanks heaps guys! This will be very useful =)

Keep the great words of information coming!!! xD

LORDYgordy

HSC
Keep in mind the practical reality - many students pay for tutoring because they are paying to be spoonfed

But spoonfed in a good way of course - make it easy for them to learn the processes! they are clients, treat them like royalty. Make their lives easy.

WeaselPowa

HSC
I feel as if a good tutor should genuinely care for your mark in the HSC.
Giving the right advice, common mistakes that are made during the subject (remember, only an idiot learns from his own mistakes. A smart person learns from others mistakes ;) )
Having extensive knowledge of the subject you are being tutored about.
Getting right to the point when explaining something, is able to know right away when you don't understand something.
Giving the correct homework and testing your understanding of the topic.

1to1 Tutor

HSC
N/A
Some one who is a good listener and explains clearly.someone who is interesting,encouraging and free of ego.A good skill is to beadle to see ability and shine with positivity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)