Do you think going TUTORING is necessary? Does it REALLY improve ur marks at school? (1 Viewer)

Sandy_Says_Boo

HSC
I don't believe getting tutored is a need. From experience, my parents took me tutoring since grade 2 until grade 11 i decided I didn't need it honestly, i dnt think it helped much, depending improvements, because I still do well regardless if I had a tutor or not. Maybe it depends on the individual..some might need one, some are quite capable without one. It also depends on which tutor you have, I've been tutored different places but I reckon even without a tutor, u can still do well in class because school teachers will provide us everything we need to know to cover the topics already. PLUS most tutors will teach us things that we have not yet learnt e.g: a yr 9 will learn yr 11 work then u won't remember by then and u miss out the current topics in school !what do u think people?

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Re: Do you think going TUTORING is necessary? Does it REALLY improve ur marks at scho

Tutors are the most useful when school teachers don't provide the right resources for students to cover the course appropriately. If all teachers in the education system did support every student well enough to cover the course, the tutoring industry would go out of business lol.

Many students that I get for tutoring do so because their teachers provide inadequate resources to cover the entire course. For example, I encountered some students in Maths Ext2 where their teacher didn't know anything about Mechanics and just told them to do exercises in the textbook. I've even had some bad experiences of teachers back when I was in high school. Some didn't even understand some parts of the course themselves let alone teach it properly and provide adequate resources.

Last edited:

Aysce

HSC
Re: Do you think going TUTORING is necessary? Does it REALLY improve ur marks at scho

It depends on the person in my opinion. I mean if you're the type of person who can sustain what you learn (from tutor) for a decent amount of time, you'll find it easier once you learn it at school because you already know the basics and it won't be that difficult to learn compared to learning from scratch. Tutoring also helps you extend yourself as it offers harder questions and a diverse range of questions which is absolutely essential in the HSC. That's just my opinion :)

Dylanamali

HSC

Yes! helped me immensely, my school is very slow with the sciences and will often get us to do a chunk of it on our own to compensate fror the loss in time. So by going to tutoring, I accelerate my learning and relearn stuff in school - makes school relaxing and enjoyable =P

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad

It depends on your teacher and your tutor.

I know that there are teachers in the system who couldn't care less about their students and about how they teach. There are teachers at my school who teach just to 'get by' more or less.
If you are doing a hard subject, but your teacher does not have the knowledge nor resources to teach it effectively, then you are stuffed.

That being said, you get tutors who are the same.. My brother recently went to one of the 99.95 ATAR students who advertise on this site for Mathematics tutoring.. He said all that person did was tell him to 'do this exercise' whilst he was on facebook :\

imho, if u have a good tutor, they can help immensely. I got tutoring for Maths when I was in highschool. My teacher at school was ok, but my tutor was kickass.. Wouldnt have went as well as I did if I didnt have him.

It also depends on u as a student. If you will be able to complete all tutoring work as well as all school work, u shud definitely improve. I tutor a Year 12 student from Baulko, by his own admission he was an 'average' Baulko student, he was not allowed to do 4u maths as he was not in the top 50 or 60 or whatever. He works extremely hard and always asks for extra work and resources.. He got 92% in his last physics examination.. He was in the top 10. I'd like to think I helped him achieve that :)

Some tutoring colleges can be a bit different though.. I was teaching Year 9 students (some with VERY gifted students -- top of the top James Ruse students) Year 11 2u/3u Mathematics.

Last edited:

SpreadTheWord

HSC

It depends on the individual. But personally for me, if i have a problem, then i will not hesitate in contacting my subject teachers for half-an-hour after school. It's there job, and they get paid good money, and easy hours in comparison to other jobs. I would see tutors as pretty useless (no disrespect to any on here), because there is lot's of resources on the internet (i know some people don't have internet, but then there are libaries), but it comes down to individual learning, and i would feel an hour used with a tutor, could be put forward to more practical hands on with my work.

But then that's just me.

Last edited:

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad

It depends on the individual. But personally for me, if i have a problem, then i will not hesitate in contacting my subject teachers for half-an-hour after school. It's there job, and they get paid good money, and easy hours in comparison to other jobs.
lmfao.

Not all teachers will give up their own time outside of class. Most will, some wont. I know some teachers who stay back until 5pm or get to school at 7am to help their students. But, then again, I know some who come in at 8:39 (we start at 8:40) and leave at 3:01.

Teachers get good money? LoL. Starting salary is ok, but after 5 years in most other jobs where u need 2 uni degrees, you would b on $100k+ whereas in teaching you are on $70k.

Easy hours again depends on the teacher. There is no other job like teaching.. one week u may have no work to do at home (Term 3 is generally pretty easy -- not many exams or reports), the next week, you may do 4-5hrs/night for the whole week plus weekend work, lol.
Teaching is not a job with which u can go home at 3pm and forget about it.. if u wanna do a good job

that's gonna be my newest technique
Goodluck with that :p

Gigacube

HSC

Tutoring isn't necessary unless you really want to do well but aren't getting there using the resources you've got. Tutoring does leave you with more homework to do afterwards which can be a pain if you're behind on schoolwork or not coping.

You've also got to be motivated & willing to work hard to achieve high results. You just can't expect to turn up to tutoring & then gain great results. You have to work for it.

1st in Business

HSC

there really isn't much to lose, and so much to gain in terms of tutoring. "For every 1 thing you think you know, there are probably 3 things that you don't know" - a wise man

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)