what type of tutor? (1 Viewer)

frippyful

HSC
i am getting tutors for MX1, chem, bio and English. should i search for a private tutor with degrees and what not, or should i go to a tutoring business.
and will i have to get 4 different tutoring sessions a week?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
First of all, why do you need tutoring?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Go to a tutor that knows his/her stuff and can explain things effectively to you. :)

Dylanamali

HSC
i can tutor bio and chem :p,

but on another note - if your going for that many subjects, go to a place thats affordable and good value for money.
Tutoring companies can be convenient as you can probably get all your subs done on one day and have your tutoring sorted. But it depends how you learn - if your more effective 1v1, if you need more individual attention or if your comfortable learning within a class/group.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Get a tutor who is passionate about what they are tutoring, and of course excels at explaining concepts.

Aysce

HSC
Just to also add, you should consider the extra workload that comes with having 4 tutors vice versa and how it will impact the work you are required to do in school ie Homework, assignments etc.

frippyful

HSC
yeah, but do you find a tutor that is passionate, do you hire them and see?

frippyful

HSC
and i dont actually know what to do. i want a really high atar, but i want to be safe in those subjects.

jnney

lemon
HSC
yeah, just hire them for one lesson and see how it goes. there are some tutors that offer to teach more than one subject, for example, chem and bio so that may save you a bit of travelling time.

some people prefer to go to a tutoring college whilst others prefer private.

ive been to both and in my opinion, private > class.

PROS to private:

-going at your own pace
-help during the week (e.g. via email, msn etc.)
-less distractions
-targeting your weaknesses

What I found was that the pace at tutoring colleges were too slow for me. Also, some students don't really want to be there and so they may repeatedly cause a lot of noise and hinder your learning. Some students are embarrassed to ask questions in class because they're afraid of what others might think of them, as with a private tutor that probably won't happen.

CONS of private:

-some tutors charge a lot
-some may be socially awkward
-you may have to travel quite a bit if they only tutor from home
-some students feel uncomfortable with a tutor by themselves

Just because a tutor has really high marks and charges a lot doesn't mean they're better than someone who has slightly lower marks and charges less. If you don't like him/her, just find someone else.

PROs of college:

-more relaxed environment
-less awkwardness (if you're socially awkward)
-may cost less
-if the class is competitive, can keep you in perspective

CONS of college:

-less focus on you
-some may require for you to pay a full term in advanced, and you dont know if the tutor will be suitable for you
-could be too fast or too slow
-if the class is not competitive, well, could influence you to be lazy.

there are a lot of uni students offering tutor on this site, some of them are great. just call up and ask. they might even give you a free trial.

one more thing. a tutor can help you excel, but in the end it's probably 30% their work and 70% yours. so just because you have a tutor doesn't necessarily mean you will do well, and vice versa. it's your own effort.

question:

-do you need a tutor because you want to work ahead, or are you struggling?
-how did your find term 4?

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, just hire them for one lesson and see how it goes. there are some tutors that offer to teach more than one subject, for example, chem and bio so that may save you a bit of travelling time.

some people prefer to go to a tutoring college whilst others prefer private.

ive been to both and in my opinion, private > class.

PROS to private:

-going at your own pace
-help during the week (e.g. via email, msn etc.)
-less distractions
-targeting your weaknesses

What I found was that the pace at tutoring colleges were too slow for me. Also, some students don't really want to be there and so they may repeatedly cause a lot of noise and hinder your learning. Some students are embarrassed to ask questions in class because they're afraid of what others might think of them, as with a private tutor that probably won't happen.

CONS of private:

-some tutors charge a lot
-some may be socially awkward
-you may have to travel quite a bit if they only tutor from home
-some students feel uncomfortable with a tutor by themselves

Just because a tutor has really high marks and charges a lot doesn't mean they're better than someone who has slightly lower marks and charges less. If you don't like him/her, just find someone else.

PROs of college:

-more relaxed environment
-less awkwardness (if you're socially awkward)
-may cost less
-if the class is competitive, can keep you in perspective

CONS of college:

-less focus on you
-some may require for you to pay a full term in advanced, and you dont know if the tutor will be suitable for you
-could be too fast or too slow
-if the class is not competitive, well, could influence you to be lazy.

there are a lot of uni students offering tutor on this site, some of them are great. just call up and ask. they might even give you a free trial.

one more thing. a tutor can help you excel, but in the end it's probably 30% their work and 70% yours. so just because you have a tutor doesn't necessarily mean you will do well, and vice versa. it's your own effort.

question:

-do you need a tutor because you want to work ahead, or are you struggling?
-how did your find term 4?
That's a vital question. A lot of people seem to have tutors just for the sake of having them when in reality they could do the work by themselves.

Personally, I've found that most of the top students (>99) never used tutors so don't think it's essential.

frippyful

HSC
yeah, i was okay in my subjects. not great. like about 9-10 out of about 70-182 and 78/189 for english. but i want to be so much better and i dont think i have enough motivation or concentration power to get me to rank first and stuff. i get really easily distracted. but i do start really studying in exam periods. so i dont know if my work ethic will increase. many of many friends dont study as much as me, but i still think it wont be enough

frippyful

HSC
That's a vital question. A lot of people seem to have tutors just for the sake of having them when in reality they could do the work by themselves.

Personally, I've found that most of the top students (>99) never used tutors so don't think it's essential.
maybe those are the genius kids that have photographic memories :D

jnney

lemon
HSC
yeah, i was okay in my subjects. not great. like about 9-10 out of about 70-182 and 78/189 for english. but i want to be so much better and i dont think i have enough motivation or concentration power to get me to rank first and stuff. i get really easily distracted. but i do start really studying in exam periods. so i dont know if my work ethic will increase. many of many friends dont study as much as me, but i still think it wont be enough
none of my friends study at school either, which kind of annoys me. but i always remind myself that in order to get into the course i want, there's no time to muck around.

how badly do you want to do well? do you have a goal (atar etc) that you want to achieve?

frippyful

HSC
none of my friends study at school either, which kind of annoys me. but i always remind myself that in order to get into the course i want, there's no time to muck around.

how badly do you want to do well? do you have a goal (atar etc) that you want to achieve?
yeah my goal is pretty high, like above 99.
is it common for tutors to do multiple subjects?

Dylanamali

HSC
yeah my goal is pretty high, like above 99.
is it common for tutors to do multiple subjects?
i think its preety common.. because usually tutors have ATARs of 99+, and so they are all rounders and should have the capabilities to tutor a multitude of subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)