Tips on tutoring people! (1 Viewer)

chubzy

HSC
hey guys so i'm new to this tutoring business so i was wondering if you could give me some tips? :) i'm thinking of meeting up with them and getting to know them a bit before i start?! like a trial lesson? and then asking some questions about how they are in school and what they like/don't like....i was referred by a friend so the mum has huge expectations for me and i really don't want to let her down!

thanks heaps :)

chubzy

HSC
maths and english! and i'm tutoring his little brother english as well :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Notes - usually very important and can come in various different forms: answering syllabus dot points, formulas, summaries of topics and A-grade/Band 6 quality responses for typical exam questions. Allows students to revise more effectively before exam/assessment time.
2. Past Papers - papers from various schools (especially selective schools) as these papers will better prepare students for similar exams at their own school.
3. Resources/Text Books - Having various text books and information sources.
4. Explaining concepts - To become a high-quality tutor, this is a must have and is the most important point about tutors.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Maths-Try going through the syllabus and explaining concepts from there. Once you think they have a decent grasp of the concepts, assign them questions from a textbook. I don't think past papers are really necessary.
English-No f**cking idea. Make them write essays?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, if you make smexy homework booklets then they might have a good impression of you!

renell

HSC
With junior year tutoring, really it's sort of like you're filling in for their parents for that hour i.e. the homework helper. Unless the parents agree/insist, I have never assigned homework, they get enough from their teachers.

There's not a lot of work for that week? I have an excel workbook in the back pocket.

(all of my advice falls out of the wayside if we're talking about pushy parents of selective school kids)

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
First lesson: ask for a copy of their latest school report, latest assessment/exam or just a peek at their exercise book. That way you get a good idea of what level the student is at, and you can use it as a comparison in 6 mths time to see if they have improved or not.

Maths: just work with them through the topics/homework they are doing at school, using their school textbook. Sometimes the issue is just that they don't understand the theory/explanation given by their teacher or they need help doing the exercises. If they are fine, you can go ahead an exercise or two, or give them extension exercises (in the same topic) to challenge them.

English: work with them through what they are doing at school - whether it be poetry, essay writing etc. You can give them additional exercises/reading/vocabulary work to supplement their school work.

1st in Business

HSC
be passionate, energetic, and willing to help. Don't be afraid to admit mistakes, as this will lead to increased trust between you two. Communication is key. Also, make sure the student feels as if they are priority, as this is the best feeling in the world when they are under the pump with assessments, essays and exams left right and centre. Preparation is key, no one likes a tutor that wastes the first 20mins looking through notes. Do a lot outside of the session - i.e marking their work etc. Share absolutely anything and everything, no matter how insignificant it may seem, because it may mean a lot to the student. Thats it for now :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)