WARNING to all students look for tutors. Most are greeedy, too expensive. (1 Viewer)

thebiggestwank

HSC
I need to post this thread up as after searching through various classifieds and students who only, let me repeat, ONLY graduated in recent yers and still only in their 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th Year of university advertising for ridiculous rates. Let me explain.

First of all, people who say they've taught 14, 924 + hours of tutoring experience, doesn't that already tick you off? It doesn't matter how many hours you've taught, you've only left school 2 or 3 years ago!

ie. I've taught at 10 previous tutoring colleges in the past year, racked up 84, 934 hours, scored ATAR of 99.95, doing med at ****, ranked first in the state in Math, English, etc, got DUX at my school, all my students I tutored last year got 99+, attained a $1 Million scholarship to Harvard...guess what? You're still doing your undergraduate studies at uni!

Second of all, most individual people who advertise here are undergrad students, most likely FULL-TIME students, ie. they go to uni at random times of the week, study then probably tutor on weekends. If you're smart enough to realise by now, they have other agendas. Getting high marks at uni is a priority for them. Tutoring is a way for them to make money. End of story.

The point being is, if they really want to help you and are teachers in essence, they would not charge extremely disgusting rates. If they actually taught at a commercial place, that's understandable but if they make you go to their homes and charge rates like these below, this is what ANGERS me:

1 on 1: $40 per hour or more.

Groups of 2 or more: $30 per hour ore more.

If you put in the numbers on the calculator, if some tutors are true to their words, undergrads from this forum are making at least $1, 500 in cold hard cash tutoring on weekends. At least $78, 000 per year and they are studying full-time. Think about it. Even some of my friends who have worked in the finance industry for 3-5 years aren't getting that yet and thats BEFORE TAX.

To all the students out there, if you're looking for tutors, there are HEAPS out there and please for the life of GOD do not pay ridiculous amounts like above for an undergrad student no matter what their credentials are. High ATAR does not correlate to being a good tutor. TRUST ME. If you don't believe me, see it for yourself. It's marketing 101.

The rates you should be looking at for tutors are if you're going to their HOUSE:

1 on 1: $25-$30 per hour
Groups of 2 or more: $15-$20 per person per hour.

The tutors are making you go to their HOMES, and will be earning at least $25 in cash per hour which is extremely good for them in this economic climate. Anything more, they're just after your money. You don't have to be a genius to realise that if tutors and teachers want to help students, the first thing is that they want to teach you to help you get better. Teachers and tutors all realise students don't have a lot of money and won't charge insane high rates from 1-4 years of experience, especially when they're studying full time doing a completely unrelated degree to education.

Let me say again, I had to post this as I'm completely FIRED UP by the rates students post up here. You guys should hang your heads in shame and not even your credentials warrant such high fees. You guys should seriously f**king look yourself in the mirror. For those students who have been tutored by high rates, it doesn't matter if they really helped you, completely irrelevant. I have a load of friends who at my age and who seen the world enough, with same credentials, are working professional who will teach for less. For those who can't find any tutors with the rates I mentioned above, PM me and I'll happily refer you to one.

BTW, I'm an economist working at the RBA. I graduated in 2002 so I've seen enough.

Seriously so F**King ANGRY with tutors on this forum. This is a forum for students. They are here to learn.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
let me guess. You want to tutor but are getting no students because there are dozens of better options.

Seriously, why else would you have a whinge about people helping others achieve better marks by using their own expertise and prior experience.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
If people are willing to pay exorbitant prices for tutoring, its their decision and no one should feel the need to dissuade them or stop them.

thebiggestwank

HSC
Completely agree. Had to write this or otherwise young students would start thinking the prices are a norm. This was more directed towards the tutors. Exploiting could be the word. Agree or disagree, it is there.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I don't see any problem though. Yes people tutor to get money, there is no problem with that, particularly as it is a great way for uni students to make money passing on their skills to younger students. They are entitled to having an income.

Also, as this is private tutoring, they are within every right to set a price of their choosing. If someone agrees to pay said price, how is this exploitation?

HSC
N/A
You don't really sound like you work at the RBA.

Nevertheless, I have to agree with the scholarship thing you mentioned. It is sort of like , if you are already getting millions of dollars then why do you need to tutor? But, that's the way the hsc seems to work. No one can really be bothered to get 99.95ATAR, but the ones that do go on to get Co-op scholarships and charge $50+/hr. Also, a scholarship isn't an extra qualification, it is pretty much double counting. It's like saying "Wow, I am getting paid $15 000/year for doing jack shit, I must be good!". Where is the logic in that? lol

You know there is a tutoring company called Talent 100 that only employs people with 100UAI/99.95ATAR. They charge like $60/hr to people. They love preying on people's insecurities. You would love them. All of the people that teach are no more than 4 years out of high school.

Last edited:

thebiggestwank

HSC
Username is irrelevant. Wank or not, trolling or not, post is a post. Stick to the post. I wrote this to get a message to tutors and advice for students.

thebiggestwank

HSC
Love your quote fortune cookie. It really gets to students heads and how they see it is that if I get tutored by XXX, then I will increase my chances of getting here, there and everywhere. Agree with preying on insecurities too, well marketed.

Mirakon, it is exploitation in the sense of what fortune cookie mentioned.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
$40 may be exuberant, but what is there to stop them from charging that? If there are better priced tutors out there, its whoever is forking the money out's fault for not checking the market. People rarely check the market for anything, example: 65% of NSW or thereabouts pay too much for their energy (electricity, gas etc.) but are too lazy/ignorant/think they 'know' the company they're with and trust them and stay with them for loyalty sake, regardless of the amount of savings they could make.

Remember that people are often ignorant/arrogant like this.

'World experience' shouldn't have anything to do with it. I know 'professional' tutors with about as much experience in life as a tree in the outback. If someone's a good tutor, they're a good tutor, regardless of time spent. If someone's a shit tutor, they'd lose clients pretty quick, wouldn't you think?

thebiggestwank

HSC
Clockworksoldier, yes people are lazy to check the market. Please do understand I am writing this for young students. Some don't know how to check the market and not all young people are able to do this, you cannot blatantly say that everyone is your your level, intellectually, there are slow people out there and you're definitely older than students here.

World experience in that soft skills are honed. Fortune cookie mentioned how most at Talent 100 are no more than 4 years out of thigh school. No way in saying that there are not good. But first years teaching a group of students. You tell me who will have better soft skills and able to express themselves clearly and confidently. Yes, if a tutor's shit, then they are shit.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Clockworksoldier, yes people are lazy to check the market. Please do understand I am writing this for young students. Some don't know how to check the market and not all young people are able to do this, you cannot blatantly say that everyone is your your level, intellectually, there are slow people out there and you're definitely older than students here.

World experience in that soft skills are honed. Fortune cookie mentioned how most at Talent 100 are no more than 4 years out of thigh school. No way in saying that there are not good. But first years teaching a group of students. You tell me who will have better soft skills and able to express themselves clearly and confidently. Yes, if a tutor's shit, then they are shit.
I understand your concern. Though, I don't think many students would necessarily be the ones paying for their tuition. The ones who pay are generally those that are supported by their parents (clarity: not saying all students). If those parents are near-sighted, its not the student's fault.

There's also the 'prestige' in paying extra money. Why do people pay upwards of $6 per bottle of shampoo when most shampoos are virtually identical? For the illusion of 'luxury'. The same applies here, the logic being 'the more expensive, the better the product'. This is what I agree with you on, this part is somewhat predatory - playing on that reflex, but again, what is there to stop them?

In relation to 'Soft-skills': There's the standpoint that someone just out of the HSC has an entirely fresh perspective and has the actual exams firmly imprinted in their memory, which naturally fades with time. So, four years out, unless studying to be a teacher etc. as a career path, clarity of memory of the HSC fades (I'm maintaining neutrality here, but I thought that was relevant).

Calling it out on a forum... I don't think it will help much, if at all.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
In relation to 'Soft-skills': There's the standpoint that someone just out of the HSC has an entirely fresh perspective and has the actual exams firmly imprinted in their memory, which naturally fades with time. So, four years out, unless studying to be a teacher etc. as a career path, clarity of memory of the HSC fades (I'm maintaining neutrality here, but I though that was relevant).

If anyone ever wants a copy of the paper they can look on the board of studies website. These people haven't even finished an undergraduate university degree and they are already charging more than most senior university lecturers.

High school tutoring and private school fees costs more than university. Jesus, I would have thought it would have been the other way around. Absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:

thebiggestwank

HSC
Clockworksolider, very good points, all of which I agree on. The fact that someone recently out of the HSC has a fresh memory is hands down the thing going for them. Most parents are forking it out for their children and if their children are keen to go to tutor XXX or YYY then they will happily obliged, no questions asked since its education.

"There's also the 'prestige' in paying extra money. Why do people pay upwards of $6 per bottle of shampoo when most shampoos are virtually identical? For the illusion of 'luxury'. The same applies here, the logic being 'the more expensive, the better the product'. This is what I agree with you on, this part is somewhat predatory - playing on that reflex, but again, what is there to stop them?"

Brilliant. That is all.

ScientiaCollege

HSC
N/A
Hi

I understand that you wrote this with the best interests of the students in mind. But I just wanted to contribute a few of my thoughts on the matter.

- First, tutoring is a business. No one is doing it out of the goodness of their own hearts.

- Second, the experience of the tutor is not decisive. It doesn't matter if the tutor completed their HSC last year or 10 years earlier as long as they can communicate clearly and effectively, have a good understanding of the course material and are really committed to helping their students achieve their best. Personally, I find tutors who have recently completed the HSC to be a lot more helpful than ex-HSC markers because they can offer practical advice as opposed to a technical reteaching of the course syllabus.

- Finally, I think your point could be much better conveyed and achieved by advising students to not be afraid to try out a few different tutors and to leave a tutor if they feel like the tutor lacks the experience, knowledge or skill they are looking for.

Kind regards

Scientia College

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
If anyone ever wants a copy of the paper they can look on the board of studies website. These people haven't even finished an undergraduate university degree and they are already charging more than most senior university lecturers.
The paper is one thing. Sitting the exam and following the proper preparation methods while a student and being able to directly recall these methods and experience from fresh short term memory is another (wow this sentence got out of hand quickly).

They only charge as much because they can. Relate back to my marketing points.

High school tutoring and private school fees costs more than university. Jesus, I would have thought it would have been the other way around. Absolutely ridiculous.
Ha. Agreed.

barbernator

HSC
People who are against tutors making money/ people who get scholarships/ people who do well in school are all bitches. enough said.

barbernator

HSC
You don't know how I felt after researching certain rates on this forum. ANGRY is an understatement. Disgusted. Immoral. Exploitation. Unbelievable.

I do not care for a rats ass if you charge students high rates and that students are happy to pay for you and worth it. I was brought up and seen it all, teachers who have taught me even for prices my parents negotiated with because it was too high for us to pay but the teachers were happy to teach me anyway. You should be happy teaching to students. Educating is a real gift. Only a certain few are blatantly over charging. Do not get me started. My parents would be ashamed of me, scolded me, not allowed me whatsoever had I charged these rates during my time at university.

At the end of the day, I am happy if students are happy to pay for this. I am happy for people to say that I am wrong. This is what I needed to say.
Supply and demand dude. Consultants charge $300+/h for their expertise and youre complaining about $60+ an hour for tutoring?

go complain to apple if you don't have enough money to buy a macbook pro and can only afford a macbook.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)