Would I be charging to much for my tutoring with these specs? (1 Viewer)

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
I will be tutoring these subjects: 2unit maths, business studies, 3unit maths (only for year 11 or below)

ATAR: 90
Usyd/Unsw student (1st year)
24 hours of tutoring experience only

Business studies: band 6
Mathematics: band 6
3 unit maths: band 5

Rate: $30 per hour

Last edited:

Jashua_Long

Banned
HSC
N/A
How about you actually give the marks instead of the bands. A band is a range of 10%, quite significant.

What is band 5 in 3 unit maths? 40-45/50? If so, you should not even attempt to tutor 3 unit maths. Do realise how common 40+/50 for 3 unit really is? Something like 80% of the students that attempt 3 unit get 40+/50. It doesn't make you seem super smart. Also, your ATAR of 90 is pretty crap tbh. I am guessing you got quite low mrks in 2 unit and 3 unit, and that is why your ATAR isn't too high.

Last edited:

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
How about you actually give the marks instead of the bands. A band is a range of 10%, quite significant.

What is band 5 in 3 unit maths? 40-45/50? If so, you should not even attempt to tutor 3 unit maths. Do realise how common 40+/50 for 3 unit really is? Something like 80% of the students that attempt 3 unit get 40+/50. It doesn't make you seem super smart. Also, your ATAR of 90 is pretty crap tbh. I am guessing you got quite low mrks in 2 unit and 3 unit, and that is why your ATAR isn't too high.
How about $25?

Jashua_Long

Banned
HSC
N/A
How about $25?
It doesn't matter how much discount it if you don't know what you are doing.

What would people prefer:

$25/hr for someone that doesn't know what they are talking about OR

$70/hr for someone that knows what they are talking about.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Can i tutor 2unit math for 25 dollars an hour?

bladeys

HSC
N/A

+1, youre gonna have trouble finding people willing to be tutored by you

SuchSmallHands

HSC
If I were you I'd offer lower high school tutoring, no offense but most people who pay for tutoring in senior years expect higher than a 90 themselves and I don't see how you'll coach someone else to do something you couldn't do yourself. Matrix charges 40/hr and they have state rankers, qualified teachers, resources and 99.95ers. You can't really charge 30/hr. tutor year 7 - 10 (5.2/5.1, not many people in 5.3 would really need you) and charge 20/hr

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
+1

But when you say Matrix charges $40/hr, that's over what class size? There is a difference between $40/hr/student and $400/hr/10 students.

Last edited:

tutorhunt

HSC
N/A
As long as you know what you are talking about, and you can actually TEACH(something a lot of tutors struggle with), you can easily do 30$/hr.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad

that's pretty harsh man, a 90 atar is pretty good in my opinion because some people aim for 85+ and most of them don't even achieve it. I think that OPs rates are high because hes an inexperienced tutor and has little knowledge on how to conduct a proper lesson but other than that its fine, don't bag him out for having a "crap" atar, he worked really hard for it, keep your opinions to yourself

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
money shouldn't be the main concern with a tutor, don't be greedy op. $20 an hour is heaps of money if you're teaching a class or even 1 on 1 for a hsc grad. I know a guy who charges $10 an hour for a small class for years 6 - 12

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I will be tutoring these subjects: 2unit maths, business studies, 3unit maths (only for year 11 or below)

ATAR: 90
Usyd/Unsw student (1st year)
24 hours of tutoring experience only

Business studies: band 6
Mathematics: band 6
3 unit maths: band 5

Rate: $30 per hour
Posts your HSC marks. Not the bands.

And 30 is quite over priced.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Nearly all uni students go at around 20 dollars an hour, 25 at max. People that charge more than that are usually experienced tutors/teachers and not just an undergrad student.

cadd1ct

The Chess Addict
HSC
Uni Grad
Nearly all uni students go at around 20 dollars an hour, 25 at max. People that charge more than that are usually experienced tutors/teachers and not just an undergrad student.
That's actually not true... I know a few of my friends who are fresh high school graduates charging like $40/hr and that was for his family friend.... but they scored top ATARs (in this case 99.95) and are very knowledgeable in their subjects. Not sure about their teaching ability but still :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)