English Tutor (Rates Question) (1 Viewer)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Hi all.

I sat the 2012 HSC and got 96 for English Advanced and 48 for Extension 1 English and I came out 1st in both courses at my school. I also received the "Macquarie University partner school's Academic Prize for Excellence in English" award which I assume is something just given at my school for doing well in English since I Google'd it to see if it's even a legit award and nothing came up.

ANYWAY

I was wondering what sort of rates would be fair for me to charge as a tutor. I was thinking $30/hr seeing as I am inexperienced and limited in that I can only tutor the modules/texts I studied in 2012 (Mod A: FrankenRunner, Mod B: Hamlet, Mod C: Conflicting Perspectives/Hughes's poetry for anyone interested); however, I do come with some excellent resources that extend beyond my own work and those of my school's.

Can anyone give me an idea of what would be a fair rate? I think $30/hr is fair right?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Most tutors charge between $20 - $45 per hour. Your mark of 96 in English is quite impressive. Some tutors charge even more, if they really think that their time and abilities are worth it.

There is a general price range, and you can decide from there based on what you think your time is worth =)

But generally, the price is determined by their experience, which is often more valuable than pure ability (though of course the tutor should also be strong in the subject).

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
For a fresh HSC graduate $30/hr is not unreasonable.

One can of course quote any price one likes - in the end the market will decide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)