I want to start Tutoring but ... (1 Viewer)

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone!

Basically, I want to start tutoring for current HSCers, but I don't know if I would be the best person.
I've seen the tutors on here and they have gotten ATARs like 99,98 and I got 94.

I want to tutor in English and SOR 2 (my best two subjects) but should I? Or am I just not "smart" enough to?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Yes absolutely you should if you want to help students. I've personally seen students who received 99+ and are terrible tutors and past students with low 90s and are excellent at teaching (and vise versa). It would be your judgement on how well you know the content.

iBibah

HSC
The mark is not a full indication of how well you can tutor. You're better off not tell anyone your marks and having them judge you purely on a trial lesson or something.

Last edited:
HSC
haha I'm in a similar situation to you lol. My confidence kinda gets shot a bit after finding out that i'm competing with 99.95 tutors
Anyways, how would you guys suggest advertising yourselves as tutors?
Hi everyone!

Basically, I want to start tutoring for current HSCers, but I don't know if I would be the best person.
I've seen the tutors on here and they have gotten ATARs like 99,98 and I got 94.

I want to tutor in English and SOR 2 (my best two subjects) but should I? Or am I just not "smart" enough to?

deswa1

HSC
Look 99.95 does not make a good tutor. I know quite a few .95'ers and some are actually amazing at explaining stuff in which case, no offence, there is no way you can compete against that. Others are pretty crap. The mark doesn't make the tutor and honestly, if you feel you can explain the subject well, go for it.

Having said this, a lot of students (rightly or wrongly) will make judgements based on marks so yeah, you might find it harder to get students in the short run but as long as you're good, word of mouth will spread and you'll be fine.

(and 94 is still a good ATAR)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
The mark is not a full indication of how well you can tutor. Your better off not tell anyone your marks and having them judge you purely on a trial lesson or something.
I'd like to add this also. Your mark isn't even a good indicator on how well you know the subject. Particularly in sciences. Let's say student A got 95 in mathematics and student B had 90. There are few things wrong with assuming student A is better (though he may well be). In the tutoring sense, what the system doesn't factor in is improvement overtime.

Consider another case from the same example, student A is going into Arts and student B is going taking Mathematics in uni, we would expect student B to be well versed with their content by Uni. [Assuming A does not study Maths at a higher level than HSC]

If I were select a maths tutor I would look for three things, knowledge of the content and communication & awareness. In summary I believe any should teach if they truly believe they are making a difference.

Another point I would like to add is teaching verses explaining. I believe this is quite different. Teaching is required in tutoring as it may seem obvious but it is building the student's knowledge from the ground up from what they already know and it is about how well you are able to understand the stuff that they know and overtime perfect it. Explaining is just answering questions that students ask you rather than teaching it. So I think the ultimate question is, do you think you can teach?

Last edited:

Magical Kebab

HSC
Hi everyone!

I say give it a go. That is, if you believe you can explain the concepts properly because you don't want to rip people off...

I'd be happy getting tutored by someone with an ATAR of 94. Still heaps good.

And also, if you think about it, the teachers who teach at schools didnt get ATARs (or the equivalent) anywhere near 94 (early 80s for education iirc, correct me if I'm wrong) so just go for it.

Peeik

HSC
Go for it OP. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't. If you personally feel like you can help someone with those subjects, then go for it.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Give it a go OP! High marks don't translate to great teaching skill. You might have some initial trouble getting the word out, but if you're a dedicated and inspiring teacher, the word will spread and you'll do fine.

funstudy

HSC
Well depending on your teaching ability. Even with people with 99.98 if they're socially inept (LOL) they won't be the best tutors?

FruitJuice

HSC
I Definitely agree with these posts. Keep in mind that a significant proportion of tutors who have just finished the HSC are primarily concerned with earning back the vast amounts of money that they themselves have spent on external assistance over the years and I think its fair to say that some of them might not have the skills that are required to communicate content efficiently and connect with students. If you are seriously passionate about a subject and are keen in helping others then you should go for it without a doubt.

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't worry. Give it a go. At first it may be difficult but as time goes on it gets easier.

I'm curious, but what marks did you get for SOR2 and English (whatever stream)?

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I'm going to suggest that marks are actually quite important. In humanities subjects I definitely think high marks are indicative that you know the course and what is required to achieve in the course. If you're not capable of achieving a band 6 mark yourself, how do you expect to be able to teach other people to achieve it?

You can definitely say that it's more important to have a tutor who can explain things well than one who just achieves high marks and can't communicate, but isn't the ideal situation one where you have a tutor who has both achieved top marks, and can teach their ways? Overall ATAR isn't a huge deal, but your marks for the subject areas you want to teach should be Band 6s otherwise what makes you attractive as a tutor?

If you're having doubts about your abilities, that's not a great start, so you should probably work through those before you take on any students. If you feel confident teaching, but not sure if you have the knowledge base for yr 11 and 12 students, you could always consider tutoring younger students because there's still a lot of demand there.

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Don't worry. Give it a go. At first it may be difficult but as time goes on it gets easier.

I'm curious, but what marks did you get for SOR2 and English (whatever stream)?
Sorry this is so late!
I actually got 95 in English and 96 in SOR 2 :)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry this is so late!
I actually got 95 in English and 96 in SOR 2 :)
The mark for the actual subject is more relevant than your ATAR because your ATAR just shows that you're good at all your subjects.

Let's take iSplicer, for example, who got 99.95 but *only* 95 in physics while another student got 95 ATAR but came first in state with 99 in physics. Assume both are equal in teaching ability - who is better? Personally, iSplicer, based purely on marks in this case would seem to be a good all-round tutor in any subject but the 99 in physics for the other student would make him better for physics.

earthharrow

HSC
If anyone needs, i can tutor chemistry (92/100), along with maths 2U(94/100) + 3u (45/50). pls email me (earthharrow@hotmail.com) we can work out a time and place (cost: $20 for Y11 and $25 for Y12) :read:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
The mark for the actual subject is more relevant than your ATAR because your ATAR just shows that you're good at all your subjects.

Let's take iSplicer, for example, who got 99.95 but *only* 95 in physics while another student got 95 ATAR but came first in state with 99 in physics. Assume both are equal in teaching ability - who is better? Personally, iSplicer, based purely on marks in this case would seem to be a good all-round tutor in any subject but the 99 in physics for the other student would make him better for physics.
No. Not necessarily. It would may make him better at HSC Physics. We haven't factored improvement. I have seen many cases where students forget their stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)