How to tutor high school maths? (1 Viewer)

chriss95

HSC
I recently picked up a couple year 11 advanced maths students to tutor, which I will be doing individually? I've never tutored before, so I was looking for some advice and suggestions on tutoring this. I'm not sure exactly what to do during the 2 hour sessions with each of them.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You should ask them what they want from your tutoring.

That's usually the first thing I ask people I tutor - unless they've told me already.

Some people want to re-learn the material in class, some people just want help with their homework, some people want extra questions or materials, while other people might want you to even go through a few examples and help with their understanding of the content.

And after they told you that - then... just prepare in the way that they asked you to.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
You should ask them what they want from your tutoring.
Very good point, Shadow. Different students have different expectations and different needs.

How much are you charging for the 2-hr lessons, as a matter of curiosity, chriss?

Last edited:

chriss95

HSC
Well one is doing one 2 hour session a week; so I did $60 for those 2 hours. The other one is doing two 2 hour sessions a week; so I'm doing $100 for those 4 hours.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
You're getting good money for one who has just completed the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)