How would I start off tutoring? (1 Viewer)

n-n

HSC
N/A
I'm currently in year 10 (taking VCE Legal Studies, English, Geography, Science, Food Technology and Mathmatical Methods) and I want to tutor younger people! Here's what I was thinking roughly about what and who I'd teach:
Math: year four - year seven.
English: year four - year ten.

How would I go by doing this? I have never tutored before, but I do have A's generally on my report (a bit under that for methods). I obviously never have had any tutoring education because of my age also.
Is my dream a reality? If so, how much should I realistically charge and how should I go by doing it? I plan on buying at least one textbook from all year levels I'm tutoring in both subjects. Should I tutor at my house or theirs? Do I have to ask the council in advance? How should I sell myself?

I am a confident person, in myself and in what I plan to teach, so shyness is not an issue.

Thanks in advance!

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
this post is honestly cringe-worthy... but gotta admit, I did start really ridiculous threads back in high school

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I think it's a great thing for any human being to teach someone no matter what age they are.

n-n

HSC
N/A
Justin, you cannot simply say that with the username 'OMGITzJustin'. Just think about that one.
Also, what have you got against tutoring at a young age? I say if somebody has the capability, they should try to achieve their goal.

Thanks SpiralFlex!

TheRedWizard

HSC
Nothing wrong with wanting to tutor others and helping them on something having a hard time with. Besides, it's a good way to earn some extra cash. :cool:

starshine02

HSC
I think you should advertise a bit (eg classifieds in newspapers, flyers etc) and if you want more experience you can try tutoring some younger family friends or relatives first so you get the hang of it and you'll know how to improve your teaching methods and such. The extra experience can also help you in the future in case you might want to tutor with a centre or something. As for locations, you're the tutor! You should be able to organise whether you'd prefer to tutor at someone else's place or your place. I think that one just comes down to preference and distance you'll have to travel.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Justin, you cannot simply say that with the username 'OMGITzJustin'. Just think about that one.
Also, what have you got against tutoring at a young age? I say if somebody has the capability, they should try to achieve their goal.

Thanks SpiralFlex!
I have a few friends who have been tutoring since year 10, dw about him. They started with primary school students, and have now moved up to also offering 7-10 as we are currently in year 12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)