When would you start tutoring? (1 Viewer)

Erinaceous

HSC
Hi :) I'm a Yr 10 student who's just wondering when the average person starts tutoring (if should they choose to be tutored) for the HSC. I have friends who have already started tutoring, but I kinda don't see the point in doing so, since the vast majority of students (or at least of those that I know) fool around in their junior years and tutoring seems to imply effort needed from both tutor and student.

I have previous experience in tutoring. For the selective school test, I started going to Coaching college around 6-9 months before the test however I found the tutoring college to be unhelpful. This was more because of my age rather than tutoring may not be the best study method for me. (I was at the stage of my life where everything would go in through one ear then out the other ear) And since the HSC is evidently a bigger test and obviously more difficult, I doubt my meager (and somewhat useless) experience in tutoring would answer my question. Hence, I was wondering for those who have been tutored or are being tutored in preparation for the HSC, when do you guys start? And which subjects do you choose to start with? Do you start off with one on one or group tutoring?

Thank you so much :)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
First tutored from yr 4 for oc
Then yrs 5 & 6 for selective
Then all high school
Fml
Asian fam

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
The earlier you start the better, also if you do class tutoring ensure you don't start mid term or later than everyone else. Also don't waste money on tutoring if you do not put in the effort, keep a healthy balance between tutoring and school,remember tutoring is an aid not a second school, you can ask whatever you want as many times as you want. You are paying for tutoring so it only right for you to do your best to make the most of it

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think people will tend to start off with subjects that they are the weakest in, for example English is a popular choice because it is a compulsory subject and it is one of the few subjects where pure self-studying will not help you improve-you need feedback on a consistent basis. It is not essential to seek tutoring to succeed, a lot of people has the misconception that if they go to tutoring, they do less work, but it is actually often the case that when one chooses to be tutored, they need to put in more effort in-the best tutor in the world cannot help you if you don't put the dedication and effort into understanding and practising and putting in the hard work. Tutors guides the student to study SMART, but students still will need to study hard to get the best results

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I started tutoring in Year 10. There really is not "right" or "wrong" time to start tutoring, it's whether or not you need it. A large majority of my peers started in year 11, some in year 12. I find starting in year 11 more beneficial than year 12 because you learn to manage your time a lot better earlier, making it less difficult to do so in year 12, when time becomes less available.

Only go tutoring if you need it. There are so many misconceptions out there that tutoring will guarantee you a high ATAR or mark, because it won't. It's up to the individual to put in the hard yards and achieve what they want to achieve. It depends on what subjects you do, but a lot of my friends get tutored for maths (2, 3, 4u), English and science (chem, phys, bio less though).

I only go for maths and English, seeing as I am capable and don't need extra help for my other subjects. I used to go tutoring for physics until I dropped it.

Identify why you want to go tutoring. Personally, I go because I want to learn ahead and that in some cases, I find school isn't that great (i.e. crap teacher lol)

For maths:
- Used to go for 3U, but finished the entire 3U syllabus mid-way through year 11 and dropped it at the start of year 12. Didn't find it constructive and my 3U teacher pushed us enough in class (got moved up a class in year 12)
- Go 4U to learn ahead and get supplementary help and more exposure to questions. Also have access to great resources!
- Group tutoring, but group is small. Prefer group tutor for maths bc the environment is more competitive, and that's a motivator for me to do well (different for everyone, my friend has private for 2u and she likes that better, so it's up to the individual)

For English:
- Go for 2U adv, because I feel as though my teacher isn't concise enough and doesn't push our class enough in order to achieve mid-high B6. I'm in the process of switching 2U tutors because I feel as though my current one wasn't as good as my previous one (long story haha)
- Private, group is too hard because how are you supposed to individualise everything? English is more individually centred than maths and science, imo.

For physics:
- Science at my school is a bigger joke than Pauline Hanson's attempt at prime minister...definitely needed the extra help there.
- Class (~40) although the class was really big, everyone there was similar and had similar motivations, so I found it very motivating to do better (again with the competition thing)

What subjects are you doing and what are you planning on getting tutored for?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
English is the first choice for tutoring great to have essay marking.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I think I started tutoring in Year 3/Year 4 (mainly because my parents knew I was always lagging behind others in terms of academics).

Started off with mathematics tutoring (iirc, it was group tutoring).

Then went through the whole ENGLISH/MATHS/GA selective trials period in Years 5 and 6 that people tend to go through.

In terms of high school, went maths tutoring (group/class) from Years 7 to 12.

English tutoring was off and on. I tried 1 on 1 once and it was terrible.

Had no tutoring in Year 11 for English but went to a place for English tutoring (group/class) in Year 12.

Went Physics tutoring for Years 11 and 12 (funnily enough, it ended up not counting cause I was doing 12 units and I did so much better in my non-tutored subjects like Economics and Business Studies... mainly cause I was passionate about the social sciences and was more dedicated towards them - more willing to put in the work)

There is really no optimal time to start tutoring but....

In my opinion (people might disagree and all):

- Mathematics tutoring - depends on what level of mathematics you will choose in your senior years but I think Year 10 is a good time to start. Usually, in Year 10 - tutoring places will start covering some Year 11 work (which can be tested in the HSC papers) already so yeah, it'd be good foundation and preparation for the HSC.

- English tutoring - tbh, I think a good time is mid-late Year 11 where you need a basic foundation for essay writing skills. Then in Year 12, you will obviously need it if you choose to be tutored.

- Science/Humanities tutoring - I'd think Year 11 for the sciences (so you basically will have 2 years of tutoring for Chemistry, Physics and Biology) and Year 12 for everything else. Then again, barely anyone goes tutoring for humanities like Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies, etc.

But in the end, tutoring is not necessary. Like for me, I got 96 in Business, 93 in Economics (my non-tutored subs) which is arguably better than my tutored subjects as a whole (94 in MX1, 90 in MX2, 86 in Physics, 91 in Advanced English).

I.e. If you are willing to put in the hard yards... you can do well in ANY SUBJECT without tutoring.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
I was a beast in yr 2 could beat my teacher at long division all coz of tutoring

Erinaceous

HSC
I think people will tend to start off with subjects that they are the weakest in, for example English is a popular choice because it is a compulsory subject and it is one of the few subjects where pure self-studying will not help you improve-you need feedback on a consistent basis. It is not essential to seek tutoring to succeed, a lot of people has the misconception that if they go to tutoring, they do less work, but it is actually often the case that when one chooses to be tutored, they need to put in more effort in-the best tutor in the world cannot help you if you don't put the dedication and effort into understanding and practising and putting in the hard work. Tutors guides the student to study SMART, but students still will need to study hard to get the best results
The concept of studying smart lol xD I got that drummed into my head from my lovely twin//shot
But would it be a good idea to wait until you get a general gist of what subjects you're weakest in or is it recommended to just like go straight into the general maths/english tutoring?
Umm since I've seen your VA posts (THEY'RESOGOODANDWOWIESANDAWESOME) is VA one of those subject where pure self-studying won't help? Thank you so much for your post <3

Erinaceous

HSC
I started tutoring in Year 10. There really is not "right" or "wrong" time to start tutoring, it's whether or not you need it. A large majority of my peers started in year 11, some in year 12. I find starting in year 11 more beneficial than year 12 because you learn to manage your time a lot better earlier, making it less difficult to do so in year 12, when time becomes less available.

Only go tutoring if you need it. There are so many misconceptions out there that tutoring will guarantee you a high ATAR or mark, because it won't. It's up to the individual to put in the hard yards and achieve what they want to achieve. It depends on what subjects you do, but a lot of my friends get tutored for maths (2, 3, 4u), English and science (chem, phys, bio less though).

I only go for maths and English, seeing as I am capable and don't need extra help for my other subjects. I used to go tutoring for physics until I dropped it.

Identify why you want to go tutoring. Personally, I go because I want to learn ahead and that in some cases, I find school isn't that great (i.e. crap teacher lol)

For maths:
- Used to go for 3U, but finished the entire 3U syllabus mid-way through year 11 and dropped it at the start of year 12. Didn't find it constructive and my 3U teacher pushed us enough in class (got moved up a class in year 12)
- Go 4U to learn ahead and get supplementary help and more exposure to questions. Also have access to great resources!
- Group tutoring, but group is small. Prefer group tutor for maths bc the environment is more competitive, and that's a motivator for me to do well (different for everyone, my friend has private for 2u and she likes that better, so it's up to the individual)

For English:
- Go for 2U adv, because I feel as though my teacher isn't concise enough and doesn't push our class enough in order to achieve mid-high B6. I'm in the process of switching 2U tutors because I feel as though my current one wasn't as good as my previous one (long story haha)
- Private, group is too hard because how are you supposed to individualise everything? English is more individually centred than maths and science, imo.

For physics:
- Science at my school is a bigger joke than Pauline Hanson's attempt at prime minister...definitely needed the extra help there.
- Class (~40) although the class was really big, everyone there was similar and had similar motivations, so I found it very motivating to do better (again with the competition thing)

What subjects are you doing and what are you planning on getting tutored for?
Hey :D Thanks for your extremely detailed response xD
The subjects I'm planning on doing are:
English Advanced (compulsory)
English Extension 1 (Compulsory)
Mathematics
Maths Ext 1
Biology
Chemistry
Modern History
Visual arts

I know I will definitely probably get tutored on in English, (since I think i pissed off my teacher enough in 2013 with all the extra essays haha) and also maths which isn't my strongest subject. I'm not sure on any of the other subjects, only because in terms of the sciences, I did fairly well on them this year without really trying, but I'm considering tutoring since apparently Year 11 makes everything tonnes harder and so I may need an further insight into it lol.

The trouble with thinking about tutoring is that I'm not sure if I need it XD As in, I've done progressively better over my junior years as just a result of studying 3 days before rather than on the day. With help of my family and friends, I'm getting better in time management. In terms of my stance within my school (NBSCMSC) I'm definately above the average, excelling in History, Geography and IST (only taking history next year xD though). My rank in science is above rank 20, and that to me seems OK for a subject I didn't even really try in. On the other hand, my parents and I fear that I'm just going to cruise through year 11, armed with the arrogance of a Year 10 who thinks she did OK, if I don't have the extra "push" given by tutors lol xD

I'm also concerned with tutoring in say VA. howwouldyoudoit?//shot

If I can ask a few questions - what do you do for tutoring in maths? I thought maths was generally a subject that was all practise, so what does the tutor do for an hour? o3o
Same for science. Can you (pretty please with sugar on top) tell me what science classes are kinda like? Is it like the school science classes? Do you get handed hand outs alot or like watch powerpoints? How does the tutor or tutoring college determine your strengths and weaknesses? Do they make you take a test every now and then or...?

Again thank you so much for your response :)) It's extremely helpful<3

Erinaceous

HSC
I think I started tutoring in Year 3/Year 4 (mainly because my parents knew I was always lagging behind others in terms of academics).

Started off with mathematics tutoring (iirc, it was group tutoring).

Then went through the whole ENGLISH/MATHS/GA selective trials period in Years 5 and 6 that people tend to go through.

In terms of high school, went maths tutoring (group/class) from Years 7 to 12.

English tutoring was off and on. I tried 1 on 1 once and it was terrible.

Had no tutoring in Year 11 for English but went to a place for English tutoring (group/class) in Year 12.

Went Physics tutoring for Years 11 and 12 (funnily enough, it ended up not counting cause I was doing 12 units and I did so much better in my non-tutored subjects like Economics and Business Studies... mainly cause I was passionate about the social sciences and was more dedicated towards them - more willing to put in the work)

There is really no optimal time to start tutoring but....

In my opinion (people might disagree and all):

- Mathematics tutoring - depends on what level of mathematics you will choose in your senior years but I think Year 10 is a good time to start. Usually, in Year 10 - tutoring places will start covering some Year 11 work (which can be tested in the HSC papers) already so yeah, it'd be good foundation and preparation for the HSC.

- English tutoring - tbh, I think a good time is mid-late Year 11 where you need a basic foundation for essay writing skills. Then in Year 12, you will obviously need it if you choose to be tutored.

- Science/Humanities tutoring - I'd think Year 11 for the sciences (so you basically will have 2 years of tutoring for Chemistry, Physics and Biology) and Year 12 for everything else. Then again, barely anyone goes tutoring for humanities like Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies, etc.

But in the end, tutoring is not necessary. Like for me, I got 96 in Business, 93 in Economics (my non-tutored subs) which is arguably better than my tutored subjects as a whole (94 in MX1, 90 in MX2, 86 in Physics, 91 in Advanced English).

I.e. If you are willing to put in the hard yards... you can do well in ANY SUBJECT without tutoring.
Btw guys, I just want to say thank you all so much for your input :) Hopefully I'm not bothering you all with my questions lol xD

I have a few points that I'll like clarified please :)) - "English tutoring - tbh, I think a good time is mid-late Year 11 where you need a basic foundation for essay writing skills. Then in Year 12, you will obviously need it if you choose to be tutored. " What do you mean by "Then in Year 12, you will obviously need it if you choose to be tutored" What's it? I was under the assumption that it was a tutor, but then the "if you choose ot be tutored" threw me off lol xD

So you would recommend starting science tutoring from the beginning of year 11? Is there any particular reason why?

Is the point of tutoring just to try and improve on your weaknesses with the added help of other individual(s) or is it more just to improve overall rather than on targeted weaknesses? Thanks :D

I was a beast in yr 2 could beat my teacher at long division all coz of tutoring
Funnily enough I failed year 2 because my parents had taught me long division and didn't know what the hell short division was, and the teacher only taught in short division :D She tried to teach me short division but in my little year 2 head
Parents > teachers

Last edited:

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
This is how my tutoring lesson for maths goes:

First 15 is basically going through the concepts taught by my tutor. Next 15 minutes is going through some examples from the topic (you can make them yourself or get the examples from the textbook). Last 30 minutes is just application of concepts by doing questions from textbook.

If you want to do well in maths, instead of memorising formulas, understand them by questioning why it's like this and how it works. What I mean by this is you need to learn how to manipulate the formula in order to find a logical conclusion. Make sure you spend more time on questions you struggle with - it is pointless doing the easy ones because you're not going to get anywhere. Oh, and do past papers as well (they can be found on the forum, PM me if you need their names).

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Erinaceous

HSC
This is how my tutoring lesson for maths goes:

First 15 is basically going through the concepts taught by my tutor. Next 15 minutes is going through some examples from the topic (you can make them yourself or get the examples from the textbook). Last 30 minutes is just application of concepts by doing questions from textbook.

If you want to do well in maths, instead of memorising formulas, understand them by questioning why it's like this and how it works. What I mean by this is you need to learn how to manipulate the formula in order to find a logical conclusion. Make sure you spend more time on questions you struggle with - it is pointless doing the easy ones because you're not going to get anywhere. Oh, and do past papers as well (they can be found on the forum, PM me if you need their names).

That's what I've been trying to do xD Like understand the concept instead of memorising the formulas. The thing is that I can really irritate my teachers and fellow peers and sister with questions of "why this and why that" I mean I've been given the advice of just memorising the formula for now, and once you do more of maths, you get all your questioned answered anyways.

On the other hand, Maths is one of my worst subjects (don't know why I'm taking 3 units) and so I was planning on studying it in the holidays. The problem I've been facing is that I simply don't know where to start. I'm behind in that, once I finished a topic, I forget about it because I've only starting to study for the test mere days beforehand. Now, if I advance onto year 11 things, I don't know how to do half the questions. Would you suggest to just keep on going and take the questions as they come or start with the easier year 9, 10 things so I can (once again//shot) refine my basics?

Do you do one on one tutoring or group for maths? Thanks :D

Thank you so much :DD

Last edited:

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
That's what I've been trying to do xD Like understand the concept instead of memorising the formulas. The thing is that I can really irritate my teachers and fellow peers and sister with questions of "why this and why that" I mean I've been given the advice of just memorising the formula for now, and once you do more of maths, you get all your questioned answered anyways.

On the other hand, Maths is one of my worst subjects (don't know why I'm taking 3 units) and so I was planning on studying it in the holidays. The problem I've been facing is that I simply don't know where to start. I'm behind in that, once I finished a topic, I forget about it because I've only starting to study for the test mere days beforehand. Now, if I advance onto year 11 things, I don't know how to do half the questions. Would you suggest to just keep on going and take the questions as they come or start with the easier year 9, 10 things so I can (once again//shot) refine my basics?

Do you do one on one tutoring or group for maths? Thanks :D

Thank you so much :DD
Don't be worried, always ask questions, that's what I always do if I don't understand anything.

I would advise you to go through the basics for yr9 & 10 just so you're sweet and then go through the yr11 stuff.

Yeah, I do one on one tutoring - it's better that way for me because it's more individualised, and it goes at my own pace. But everyone is different so take this into account.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
I think for humanities subjects tutoring is only necessary for essay marking and making sure that your essay is up to hsc standard. Other than that there isn't much to do since your teacher can explain the concepts to you anyway.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
when people talk about 1 to 1, is it at home or do you go somewhere or what? how does it work?

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
How do you know that you will need tutoring? Tutoring isn't a necessity for a high ATAR. If you put in the effort and get good marks, then you won't need tutoring.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
if you struggle you may need tutoring or if you believe that school assistance is not enough then tutoring is required. Or if your asian its not an option.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
if you struggle you may need tutoring or if you believe that school assistance is not enough then tutoring is required. Or if your asian its not an option.
Asians do get tutoring too...

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
i meant that asians have no option as to whether or not they get tutored, they have to. Sentence came out wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)