How much do tutoring companies pay the tutor? (1 Viewer)

Beagle13

HSC
I am interested in working for some of the tutoring centres in Sydney.

I had a terrible experience with Tutoring for Excellence ($0 for the first hour lesson, $22/hr after that (and most students would have fewer than 5 or so lessons) + all the time driving and admin work + cost of petrol = I was really really underpaid.

Plus I feel like TFE hired lower quality tutors and in turn charged lower rates.
I have a 99+ ATAR plus I've tutored university classes, so can anyone recommend a higher paying tutoring centre that is more selective with tutors?

Does anyone know if these places have better pay and conditions:
- Study Point
- Art of Smart Education
- Dux College
... and any other places.

bongoli

HSC
Why not tutor privately?
Agreed. Higher rates with your preference but if you're looking to tutor at a tuiton,most tuitons offer around the same rate unless you're incredibly good at what you do.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Why not tutor privately?
Also agreed. I would recommend advertising on bored because some/most of the people here are just looking for overpriced chink James ruse tutor. I used to advertise on here but I had it when some bitch asked for tutoring in physics and maths ($20/hr) by me and everything worked out until she asked my atar (I told her) and she's like "dw about it"

Now I work at Coles #minimumwageforlyf

So really, if you got 99+ just charge some over priviliged white kid $40-50/hr and pretend to give a shit about them (and also have good communication skills - very important) [I'm sure that will be tax free also :p]

Rant = finish

Last edited:

albertcamus

HSC
Also agreed. I would recommend advertising on bored because some/most of the people here are just looking for overpriced chink James ruse tutor. I used to advertise on here but I had it when some bitch asked for tutoring in physics and maths ($20/hr) by me and everything worked out until she asked my atar (I told her) and she's like "dw about it"

So really, if you got 99+ just charge some over priviliged white kid $40-50/hr and pretend to give a shit about them (and also have good communication skills - very important) [I'm sure that will be tax free also :p]

Rant = finish
Lol you can't expect her to accept if your ATAR is not at that level. Offer some extra kinda incentive m8

Also, the last few lines = scumbag LOL

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol you can't expect her to accept if your ATAR is not at that level. Offer some extra kinda incentive m8

Also, the last few lines = scumbag LOL
My atar was in the mid 90's and my marks were pretty good even if I do say so my self but the way she acted about it, "errrmmggooddd you only got x atar, (flicks hair back) dont talk to me you're not good enough. The only thing really bringing me down was a band 4 in English

I did offer a obligation free trial lesson but I guess that was also too good for her

albertcamus

HSC
My atar was in the mid 90's and my marks were pretty good even if I do say so my self but the way she acted about it, "errrmmggooddd you only got x atar, (flicks hair back) dont talk to me you're not good enough. The only thing really bringing me down was a band 4 in English

I did offer a obligation free trial lesson but I guess that was also too good for her
Did she really give off that vibe through the Internet or was it a mere "no, I'm not interested" type thing LOL

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

Rant = finish
Not only are you completely wrong, but your perspective on private tuition is terrible.

1) It's a business. Plain and simple. You don't know her, she doesn't know you. So up until you begin tutoring her permanently and establish a tutor-student relationship, everything you do, everything you discuss, it is all business and nothing more. After a negotiation she decides your services are not for her? That's fine, move on. If you offer a worthwhile service you should be well off enough to be able to have a few declines without it having any affect on you whatsoever. You don't have anything worthwhile to offer or any incentives that make you stand out? Bad luck, it's business, it's the way it works.

2) You call a potential student a "bitch"? But you care about your students right? She'd rather some one with better credentials to help her do as best as she can, which is the essence of tutoring, so you should be happy shouldn't you that she's striving to maximise her potential? Oh, you only care about her "doing the best she can!" when she's your student, paying you the money. Let's not forget the privileged white kid or chink James Ruse tutor. To re-iterate point one, you really don't handle rejection well.

3) You also seem a bit jealous/bitter over successful tutors. That's definitely not the attitude you want to have going into the tuition industry, but you're probably only doing it for the money anyway considering you have like three different for sale threads. I remember the title of your advertising thread in fact, and if I recall correctly you had misleading info to catch the attention of potential students. That's a great way to run a business! Let's trick students into reading my advertisement, that'll definitely gain their trust! /sarcasm. You really should realise how important trust is between a tutor and their student. Not only does the student have trust in their tutor to know the content and teach it correctly, but they also have trust in them as a human being. Attracting students with misleading titles really does not secure any sort of trust.

4) Learn the meaning of value. You say students only look for "overpriced" tutors. Ever heard of the saying "you get what you pay for?" This applies in the tuition business to a very large extent. Offering your services for such a cheap price won't only devalue your own services, but it will also attract students who are just looking for a tutor who will magically boost their marks. These aren't the students you want, they will be lazy and complain when you aren't getting them the marks they want without any effort on their behalf. You want the students who know they are paying for a worthwhile service, and are willing to go that extra mile (with you guidance) to obtain their dream results and hopefully ATAR. Value. Learn it.

5) Most importantly, advertise yourself as a genuine tutor. Not much else to it. You say the only people who get students are the 99+ ATAR's, James Ruse graduates, who charge $40+? Think again. For example I do not fit any of these categories (no where near in fact), yet have had quite large amount of inquiries and students who have stayed on as my permanent students. Why? Because I genuinely care about my students, not only their results, but even as far as them as people. I don't go around ranting when an inquiring student decides to change their mind (I've had this multiple times).

Mature a bit and things may start going your way for your tutoring aspirations.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Did she really give off that vibe through the Internet or was it a mere "no, I'm not interested" type thing LOL
I gave her my number and she called me as messaging via PM was very tedious. I could hear the attitude over the phone

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Not only are you completely wrong, but your perspective on private tuition is terrible.

1) It's a business. Plain and simple. You don't know her, she doesn't know you. So up until you begin tutoring her permanently and establish a tutor-student relationship, everything you do, everything you discuss, it is all business and nothing more. After a negotiation she decides your services are not for her? That's fine, move on. If you offer a worthwhile service you should be well off enough to be able to have a few declines without it having any affect on you whatsoever. You don't have anything worthwhile to offer or any incentives that make you stand out? Bad luck, it's business, it's the way it works.

2) You call a potential student a "bitch"? But you care about your students right? She'd rather some one with better credentials to help her do as best as she can, which is the essence of tutoring, so you should be happy shouldn't you that she's striving to maximise her potential? Oh, you only care about her "doing the best she can!" when she's your student, paying you the money. Let's not forget the privileged white kid or chink James Ruse tutor. To re-iterate point one, you really don't handle rejection well.

3) You also seem a bit jealous/bitter over successful tutors. That's definitely not the attitude you want to have going into the tuition industry, but you're probably only doing it for the money anyway considering you have like three different for sale threads. I remember the title of your advertising thread in fact, and if I recall correctly you had misleading info to catch the attention of potential students. That's a great way to run a business! Let's trick students into reading my advertisement, that'll definitely gain their trust! /sarcasm. You really should realise how important trust is between a tutor and their student. Not only does the student have trust in their tutor to know the content and teach it correctly, but they also have trust in them as a human being. Attracting students with misleading titles really does not secure any sort of trust.

4) Learn the meaning of value. You say students only look for "overpriced" tutors. Ever heard of the saying "you get what you pay for?" This applies in the tuition business to a very large extent. Offering your services for such a cheap price won't only devalue your own services, but it will also attract students who are just looking for a tutor who will magically boost their marks. These aren't the students you want, they will be lazy and complain when you aren't getting them the marks they want without any effort on their behalf. You want the students who know they are paying for a worthwhile service, and are willing to go that extra mile (with you guidance) to obtain their dream results and hopefully ATAR. Value. Learn it.

5) Most importantly, advertise yourself as a genuine tutor. Not much else to it. You say the only people who get students are the 99+ ATAR's, James Ruse graduates, who charge $40+? Think again. For example I do not fit any of these categories (no where near in fact), yet have had quite large amount of inquiries and students who have stayed on as my permanent students. Why? Because I genuinely care about my students, not only their results, but even as far as them as people. I don't go around ranting when an inquiring student decides to change their mind (I've had this multiple times).

Honestly, too long, did not properly read lol

Darth_UNSW

HSC
I get $24/hr teaching maths but I'm happy because I enjoy my work :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey RealiseNothing :). I appreciate your comments in response to my post. As a debater, i feel as though i have to respond to some of the claims/allegations/opinions presented in your argument. Ill be the part in bold.

1) It's a business. Plain and simple. You don't know her, she doesn't know you. pretty much So up until you begin tutoring her permanently and establish a tutor-student relationship, everything you do, everything you discuss, it is all business and nothing more. yes, I can completely understand someone declining a tutor based on what they're looking for but the manner and attitude in which she presented herself in i consider unacceptable After a negotiation she decides your services are not for her? That's fine, move on. If you offer a worthwhile service you should be well off enough to be able to have a few declines without it having any affect on you whatsoever. tbh, it doesn't affect me, i cannot satisfy everyone's needs You don't have anything worthwhile to offer or any incentives that make you stand out? this is a bit rude on your part Matthew (if i may address you by your name). i do have a lot to offer, i used to give free incentives such as free trial lessons, i gave my notes for free, etc but to explicitely demean someone by saying "You don't have anything worthwhile to offer or any incentives that make you stand out" is a bit rude Bad luck, it's business, it's the way it works.

2) You call a potential student a "bitch"? But you care about your students right? everyone I meet/talk to, I will always talk to them with the up most respect and in a friendly and appropriate manner but again, her attitiude on the phone was unacceptable and i will not be tolerating that (even if she was a troll) She'd rather some one with better credentials to help her do as best as she can, which is the essence of tutoring, so you should be happy shouldn't you that she's striving to maximise her potential? rl example lets assume you got 98 as your final mark in your mathematics extension 1 exam and i only got 96 (still both 2 very good solid marks). why does having those 2 extra marks make one a better tutor/mentor than another, i ask? i also read that on one of your threads that you were "2012 UNSW ICAS Maths Comp Medallist which placed me 1st in the state" among other things (congratz btw) but it seems like the rationale behind many people on bos is that "if my tutor is a state ranker, then that must absolutely, certainly, mean that i will get good marks (correct me if i am wrong). in essence it really comes down to wheather one can teach maths/science/whatever. i have some experience tutoring students in my classes and cohort and they found it beneficial, some even improved drastically in a short period of time. Despite me ending up 2nd MX1 i still had helped many students but the guy who was first (he's very smart, just brilliant) was not able to communicate with the other students but some how beat everyone in exams Oh, you only care about her "doing the best she can!" when she's your student, paying you the money. Let's not forget the privileged white kid or chink James Ruse tutor. To re-iterate point one, you really don't handle rejection well. are you some sort of psychologist or something?

3) You also seem a bit jealous/bitter over successful tutors i really don't care about the success of other people, if they (or anyone) seams like a good person i would be happy for them, conversely if they are full of themselves then things go south. That's definitely not the attitude you want to have going into the tuition industry, but you're probably only doing it for the money anyway why does anyone do tutoring, partly for the money. I found it pleasing that i could help someone understand something and now (well previously i thought i could make a business out of it) considering you have like three different for sale threads what does this have to do anything? . I remember the title of your advertising thread in fact, and if I recall correctly you had misleading info to catch the attention of potential students i did not mislead anyone or have misleading info ti entice anyone. That's a great way to run a business! Let's trick students into reading my advertisement, that'll definitely gain their trust! /sarcasm. You really should realise is this a pun? :p how important trust is between a tutor and their student. Not only does the student have trust in their tutor to know the content and teach it correctly, but they also have trust in them as a human being. Attracting students with misleading titles really does not secure any sort of trust.

4) Learn the meaning of value. dont understand what you mean You say students only look for "overpriced" tutors. Ever heard of the saying "you get what you pay for?" i assume this is rhetorical, but ill answer it anyway: yes. but is someone's time really that pricey? i mean they aren't a doctor who rips off $hundreds for 10 minutes of their time? This applies in the tuition business to a very large extent. Offering your services for such a cheap price won't only devalue your own servicesdisagree, but it will also attract students who are just looking for a tutor who will magically boost their marks. These aren't the students you want, they will be lazy and complain when you aren't getting them the marks they want without any effort on their behalf if a studnet slacks off of doesn't require my services anymore, then either party can decline the service. it's not like i am going to threaten someone "hey! you must get tutored". You want the students who know they are paying for a worthwhile service, and are willing to go that extra mile (with you guidance) to obtain their dream results and hopefully ATAR. Value. Learn it. still dont understand what you mean

5) Most importantly, advertise yourself as a genuine tutor i did (i think) can you explain further. Not much else to it. You say the only people who get students are the 99+ ATAR's, James Ruse graduates, who charge $40+? off topic, I don't think you (or anyone else for that matter) discloses their "side tutoring business" to the ATO. and before you accuse me "you don't either" i can assure you that i do. i have an expense report of every papal/cheque/bank transaction that i engage in and i disclose this to my accountant every financial year. Think again. For example I do not fit any of these categories (no where near in fact), yet have had quite large amount of inquiries and students who have stayed on as my permanent students. Why? Because I genuinely care about my students, not only their results, but even as far as them as people. good for you I don't go around ranting when an inquiring student decides to change their mind (I've had this multiple times). it's not the fact that a student changes their mind (i have had this many times) but again it was in the manner in which she when about it that was unacceptable

Overall Comments:
  • fairly weak argument/structure
  • no evidence to back up claims
  • Nice signposting

Looking forward to your counter-argument :)

Last edited:

Examine

same
HSC
My atar was in the mid 90's
Quote from a title of two of your threads:

"98.50 | Mathematics Extension 1 (3 UNIT) Notes For Sale | HUGE SAMPLE!!!"
"98.50 | Enormous HSC Clean Out | Textbooks/Study Guides | PHY/CHEM/LEGAL/UMAT/MORE!!"

So which one did you get, mid 90s or 98.5? (though getting a band 4 in english and 98.5 is quite interesting)

You don't have anything worthwhile to offer or any incentives that make you stand out? this is a bit rude on your part Matthew (if i may address you by your name). i do have a lot to offer, i used to give free incentives such as free trial lessons, i gave my notes for free, etc but to explicitely demean someone by saying "You don't have anything worthwhile to offer or any incentives that make you stand out" is a bit rude Bad luck, it's business, it's the way it works.
Read this part again, you misinterpreted it.

========

Anyway, I guess I won't jump in too much.

Last edited:

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Quote from a title of one of your threads:

So which one did you get, mid 90s or 98.5?
I don't think 98.5 is in the high 90s. high 90s is referring to 99+

Examine

same
HSC
He said mid 90s, and generally when people refer to that they mean 95/96.

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Quote from a title of one of your threads:

So which one did you get, mid 90s or 98.5? (though getting a band 4 in english and 98.5 is quite interesting)

Read this part again, you misinterpreted it.

========

Anyway, I guess I won't jump in too much.
i think i read it just fine. my english is not so good, i can speak and write but i just memorised everything and flanked the reading task lol

yes, apparantely that is whats considered "good" on bored of studies

He said mid 90s, not high 90s (and even then, I would consider 98+ to be high 90s)
i was being modest, even i would consider <99 some what "low" as the expectation here is that if you sell something you would have a good atar, ie 99.95 and state rank in everything

Beagle13

HSC
Hey,

So, to redirect this thread back to the original topic:

I am definitely pursuing privately arranged sessions more now. Since there is no intermediary between me and the student, I am paid better and the student probably pays less (win-win really).

Tutoring centres really don't do much other than provide a glorified match-making service between students and tutors. They don't offer any training or extra support and usually offer no materials.

Thanks for the advice. I put an ad on BOS:
http://community.boredofstudies.org...h-96-economics-93-french-history-49-50-a.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)