year 10 english tutoring? (1 Viewer)

xmadison

HSC
So I'm in year 10 at the moment, and am interested in getting tutoring for english. I've previously been to matrix, which I personally think didn't really help at all. I'm not sure whether if I should get private one on one tutoring or go to a tutoring college again. or should I just study independently for now and invest in a tutor once I'm in year 11..? any suggestions/recommendations? :)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
To improve your English:

- Don't ever again begin your post with a 'So'; just drop that opener and your post improves dramatically. I cannot understand the very prevalent practice of beginning a post with a 'So' here.

- since you are, presumably, in Yr 10, you have plenty of time. Take this opportunity to read widely now. Read good books. Read a newspaper (preferably the SMH or The Australian - not the Daily Telegraph) whenever you can. To be able to handle English in the HSC, it helps immensely for you to be mature; if you are not, it'd be very difficult to do critical analyses of texts.

- if you do not improve by the end of the year, then get a tutor. Tutors cost a lot of money - unless you are very well-off, you can save your parents some money.

- I have recently been reading Spotlight's Studies of Religion (Preliminary), by Nicholas G Coleman. In my view, you will benefit greatly from reading it - to improve your construction and grammar and punctuation. In my view, many students cannot string a sentence properly. It is sad many who get good marks in English often have shit spelling, punctuation and grammar - perhaps because the Board does not care very much about such things.

- I think reading the New Testament (e.g. St Luke - King James' Version) is great for grammar, construction etc.

- reading widely will improve your English tremendously.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)