Is Coaching for HSC Really Necessary? (1 Viewer)

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
Is coaching really necessary for the HSC? I understand coaching can be very beneficial but would learning through textbooks (of course given that I provide the time and dedication necessary) be sufficient to facilitate my learning for the HSC?

Is there anyone here who has achieved an ATAR of 95+ without any coaching for year 11/12?

Just wondering and thanks c:

astroman

HSC

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
What subjects are you studying and how strong currently are you in your subject. In my opinion, although many subjects are arguable whether they require coaching or not, I think English is definitely a subject where regardless of where you are placed, a little bit of private coaching is very likely to be helpful because English is a bit subjective, and being exposed to another individual's analysis/opinions on a text will broaden your existent understanding and likely to lead you to formulate a more informed analysis of your texts.

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
What subjects are you studying and how strong currently are you in your subject. In my opinion, although many subjects are arguable whether they require coaching or not, I think English is definitely a subject where regardless of where you are placed, a little bit of private coaching is very likely to be helpful because English is a bit subjective, and being exposed to another individual's analysis/opinions on a text will broaden your existent understanding and likely to lead you to formulate a more informed analysis of your texts.
I'm actually not even into Year 10 yet :p I agree with your advice on that exposure to others' perspectives on texts would definitely help in terms of expanding views and comprehension, but could this be achieved without a private tutor by just seeking others' opinions? e.g. teacher, friends, because I'm not really keen on private tutoring as I've done it before and personally I don't believe it suits me.

Subjects I'm considering choosing for Year 11:
English Adv. (compulsory)
MX1
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
Economics

One or two of which I'll be dropping for Year 12. I'm also aiming to advance to MX2 in year 12.

Not really depends on the individual and there needs
I understand that, I just wanted to know if certain subjects generally require coaching more than others and if so which. And which can be effectively learnt via textbooks and other resources alone :)

Last edited:

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I'm actually not even into Year 10 yet :p I agree with your advice on that exposure to others' perspectives on texts would definitely help in terms of expanding views and comprehension, but could this be achieved without a private tutor by just seeking others' opinions? e.g. teacher, friends, because I'm not really keen on private tutoring as I've done it before and personally I don't believe it suits me.
Of course you can. Whether a tutor is required is all relative to the person. So you can definitely do well without private tuition.

I understand that, I just wanted to know if certain subjects generally require coaching more than others and if so which. And which can be effectively learnt via textbooks and other resources alone :)
Again, it depends on the individual - there are way too many variables. But I would say the subjects that generally facilitate coaching are Maths, English, and the Science.

Larche

HSC
One of my friends got an atar of 98.9 and had no formal tutoring/ coaching in years 11-12 whatsoever. Whereas the rest of my friends (including me) all had some form of tutoring and scored a lower atar than her. It all depends on the person, my friend who got 98.9 just studied her ass off throughout years 11-12 to the point where I thought she was a bit cray cray. It all paid off in the end for her though :)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends if the tutoring environment is conducive. If you know what i mean. *Cough*nsgplc*cough*

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Tutoring or coaching can be beneficial if you feel as though your school isn't doing a sufficient job but ultimately it is up to you.

If you just go to tutoring and are still lazy at home then it won't help much.....

Examine

same
HSC
Tutoring pretty much holds your hand through the HSC, though if you can get there by yourself then you probs wouldn't need it.

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
Depends if the tutoring environment is conducive. If you know what i mean. *Cough*nsgplc*cough*
nsgplc?

I guess I was considering this too early to really know what I needed. I'll just wait a while, see how my studies go and make decisions from there.

Thanks for your input everyone and sorry for posting a question for which nobody but myself would really know the answer to xP

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
nsgplc?

I guess I was considering this too early to really know what I needed. I'll just wait a while, see how my studies go and make decisions from there.

Thanks for your input everyone and sorry for posting a question for which nobody but myself would really know the answer to xP
North sydney girls, pymbal ladies college ....;He likes girls from those schools

Yeah, just try it out and see how it goes , if you don't feel as though you need it or see improvement , then you can quit

enoilgam

HSC
It really depends on the person (i.e. talent, ability etc). Some people can do very well without it (Deswa1 for example), others cannot. Tutoring/Coaching isnt a bad thing, as long as it's utilised properly and not in a way where you are being spoonfed, because you wont last in uni and beyond if that is the case.

screwuhsc

HSC
It really depends on the person (i.e. talent, ability etc). Some people can do very well without it (Deswa1 for example), others cannot. Tutoring/Coaching isnt a bad thing, as long as it's utilised properly and not in a way where you are being spoonfed, because you wont last in uni and beyond if that is the case.
Good point on the money there enoilgam

enoilgam

HSC
Yea exactly anything is possible
Keep in mind, deswa is very talented and there are very few people around who can achieve what he has. If you ask him yourself, he will tell you something similar (deswa does work hard though, but talent definitely plays a role).

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
Keep in mind, deswa is very talented and there are very few people around who can achieve what he has. If you ask him yourself, he will tell you something similar (deswa does work hard though, but talent definitely plays a role).
Would you happen to know if he is still active on this site?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)