Private maths tutoring or Dr Du maths tutoring? (1 Viewer)

pomsky

HSC
Dr Du isn't the only tutoring college around.

But is it the only one you're considering?

HSC
Dr Du is a bit intense man. You gotta change your old habits and not be lazy, anyways I prefer and recommend private because you can go at your own pace, you can ask questions more freely. I don't recommend college tutoring, because chances are, most of your friends go there anyways so you guys access to the same resources. I reckon you can excel better in private, free of distractions and you can message your private tutors more freely. Some of college tutors have a lot on their plate, so they might not have time to reply LOL.

Bingobango

HSC
I'm pretty sceptical about Dr X and Dr Y claiming to fast track their students to HSC success... Often the resources might not be completely aligned to the syllabus, or extend beyond the syllabus in a way that might not be the most beneficial. I don't doubt that they are highly talented mathematicians, but at the end of the day, HSC Math doesn't require a highly talented (PhD level) mathematician to teach it. Really, someone with a very in-depth knowledge of the syllabus who you can get along really well with (i.e., a recent graduate who knows their shit) is probably the best way to go. Imo

pomsky

HSC
Dr Du is a bit intense man. You gotta change your old habits and not be lazy, anyways I prefer and recommend private because you can go at your own pace, you can ask questions more freely. I don't recommend college tutoring, because chances are, most of your friends go there anyways so you guys access to the same resources. I reckon you can excel better in private, free of distractions and you can message your private tutors more freely. Some of college tutors have a lot on their plate, so they might not have time to reply LOL.
I'm pretty sceptical about Dr X and Dr Y claiming to fast track their students to HSC success... Often the resources might not be completely aligned to the syllabus, or extend beyond the syllabus in a way that might not be the most beneficial. I don't doubt that they are highly talented mathematicians, but at the end of the day, HSC Math doesn't require a highly talented (PhD level) mathematician to teach it. Really, someone with a very in-depth knowledge of the syllabus who you can get along really well with (i.e., a recent graduate who knows their shit) is probably the best way to go. Imo
+ 1 to both.

Private is good only if you can find someone good. IMO it's a bit hard, especially for someone at a reasonable price. Obviously you'll get more support with private, but I find that you sort of risk having them just watch you do your homework sometimes. It's a bit pointless that way. However, one thing private's super good for is that I would imagine they would be able to go at the same pace as your school. All tutoring colleges teach the topics in a slightly different order, and likewise, all schools teach them in a slightly different order too.

What Dr Du is really good at is teaching the topics super fast, so you'll definitely finish the syllabus way before your school. But, like wiliaamnguuyen said, it's pretty intense. Not the most intense tutoring college, but most likely up near the top. It's good if you get in early, if you don't (like me), you'll miss quite a bit. Teachers aren't really useful out-of-class either. You will most likely not be able to ask them about school work, however Du does breed pretty good exam skills in their competition and weekly 'quizzes' that everyone takes way too seriously lol.

braintic

HSC
N/A
What about a 3rd option .... asking your teacher for help ?

xx_mandie_xx

HSC
do what you think works for you. i did tutoring for a few years, but i never got much result because, a) i was an excellent student anyway (no, not really) and b) tutoring isn't a one size fits for all, for me, self study and those excel books are better than tutoring

just find out what works and what doesn't

barcyy

HSC
For Maths do private. I'm doing it as well and they actually focus on your weaknesses. I was doing maths tutoring at a tutoring centre and I found that they would move on and go at too fast of a pace.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
It really depends on who the private tutor is. Most are bad (the uni students) and some are either good or alright (qualified teachers/hsc markers). I've heard that with Dr Du, the top 2 classes (from memory A and A2) get the good teachers wheras the lower classes A3 and B get the shit teachers.

SuxMATH

HSC
N/A
It really depends on who the private tutor is. Most are bad (the uni students) and some are either good or alright (qualified teachers/hsc markers). I've heard that with Dr Du, the top 2 classes (from memory A and A2) get the good teachers wheras the lower classes A3 and B get the shit teachers.
Had a uni student as my tutor and he catered to everything I needed. With tutoring the benefits of having a uni student as your tutor is they understand your side of the story better since they went through the same process as you more recent like academic and social problems so having a uni student as your tutor isn't bad, in fact many are very good.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Had a uni student as my tutor and he catered to everything I needed. With tutoring the benefits of having a uni student as your tutor is they understand your side of the story better since they went through the same process as you more recent like academic and social problems so having a uni student as your tutor isn't bad, in fact many are very good.
Yeah, I'd agree. Some uni students are bad some are good, most tend to be inexperienced with teaching and explaining so it's hard (for someone like me) to find a good private tutor who is a uni student (I'm very picky)

SuxMATH

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I'd agree. Some uni students are bad some are good, most tend to be inexperienced with teaching and explaining so it's hard (for someone like me) to find a good private tutor who is a uni student (I'm very picky)
Usually the best way to find a good private tutor or any tutoring centre is word of mouth (That is how I found mine).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)