Is it worth getting an economics tutor? (1 Viewer)

Throwaways

HSC
N/A
It's a humanities based subject so I'd assume a tutor wouldn't be that helpful (with the exception of an english tutor) and instead it would be mainly memory?
Wondering since I would like to do really well since it's my highest scaling 2unit subject.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you struggling/not performing/finding concepts difficult to grasp?

If so getting a tutor may be helpful

atcha

HSC
N/A
I don't understand why you are saying tutors are irrelevant in humanities?

Constantine

HSC
Just because it's a humanities subject doesn't mean it's easy and relies on merely ROTE-learning.
I had a friend who had an economic tutor and still finished at the bottom five.
On the other hand, the first who came person didn't have a tutor.

Depends on you personally.
If you are really struggling with the concepts and all, it might be a good idea. Doing well in economics is well worth the trouble.

You know deep inside whether or not you need one. Ask yourself. Are you really hopeless at the subject or are you merely lazy and want to look for a short-cut?

iStudent

HSC
If you're going to settle for tutoring, find a high achieving eco tutor (like a state ranker or something, lol) or at least a past hsc marker. Tutors like your typical classroom teachers are good - good for helping you understand the concepts and such but really, they lack the focus on exam technique, how to study - giving you past essays, notes, past papers etc which is what you want to be getting out of for tutoring (and like you said - eco is mainly rote - don't need a tutor for that, lol).

A tutor who doesn't focus on reading the textbook for you - but helping you write essays, tackle harder questions + marking essays and improving on them is one I'd say is worth.

I went to eco tutoring once. The only parts I found useful was when he gave us information outside the textbook - like uni eco theories, analysing current trends + news + giving us his hsc notes (and from there I learnt how to structure my notes with exam technique as a focus). The rest - which consisted of basically summarising the Dixon textbook, was really meaningless :/

**** however, if you do end up struggling to rote the entire textbook, then having a tutor go through the textbook with you (although, I really do think that the content is not difficult...) can help. The more times you go through the same content, the better you remember it.

My 2 cents :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)