Soo, update on that $80/hr Math Tutor. (1 Viewer)

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
He's been extremely helpful on in class stuff and things I give him. He gives me tons of papers for Physics and Extension 1 Maths.
The thing is that, I don't think that simple Math helping is justifiable for $80, even if its a private 1 on 1.
Now, with Trials, HSC coming up, is it still a good time to cancel out on him? And start going to a new tutor next year? My parents have paid a shit ton of money for this and now I seriously am considering quitting on this guy.

In the beginning where I wasn't great at Maths, he was slightly confusing but it got me through the basics. However, some stuff he isn't even completely sure of and doesn't give me the optimal way to answer the question. Often, he comes tired and doesn't seem all that helpful, unless I ask ALOT of questions which will eventually lead him to teaching me.

With $80 an hour, and also only an HOUR worth of lessons weekly, it doesn't seem right to pay that much for this guy.
Plus, he doesn't directly lead me to learning new topics, but it seems I have to guide him on what I want to do, so if I have lackluster work or no idea on the next topic, I can't actually learn much. Essentially he's only a question answerer.

I'm probably seeming obnoxious but I'd like your opinion, you guys have been great.

P.S. He has a lot of qualifications, and he travels to my house which would contribute to the fee.

astroman

HSC
that is a fkn rip off, that is the rate you pay to someone with 5 PHD's from Harvard. Most 99.95 students only charge around 30 per hr and are excellent students'. Don't pay more than $40 ph, above that is a rip off.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Forget about the qualifications etc.

what you need to ask yourself is do u feel happy spending 80 dollars on 1 hour of tutoring with this individual? Does the tutoring he provides warrant that amount of money? Do you feel as if he provides an experience and facilitates your learning in a way another tutor who is perhaps less costly, can't provide?

If yes, then stick to this tutor

If you feel that the tutoring this individual provides benefits you in a way other tutors might be able to equal then maybe you should consider another tutor. I would actually also feel as if simply answering questions you pose isn't the best form of tutoring anyway but that's more a subjective opinion where you have to ask yourself if this type of learning is really the best for you

Drsoccerball

HSC
Ive taught full classes of about 20 ex 1 students

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I pay about $60phr for my Maths tutor :S And $100 for English, sigh. But the English tutor has a strong background in EX1/EX2 respectively with years of HSC marking, but my god. All my parents's money.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Usually only teachers ask for that hourly rate. I've had people reply to my gumtree ads (looking for a tutor) wanting $110 per hour.

If he's not a teacher, or not really doing amazing, drop him. Seriously, are you rich? How do you just throw away $80 an hour on someone 'meh'. You can get okay people for ~$30 an hour. But if you're happy with that high of a rate... go find an awesome teacher who tutors.
- College teacher for about 5 years.
- Tutored Professional Engineering in USyd.
- One-On-One Tutoring for more than 8 years.
- Band 6 in HSC 3U at Sydney Tech.
- B.E. at USyd.

yeah. I'd say he's a teacher.
I didn't pick the tutor and my family picked him for me, so I didn't really know at first what the rates were.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Maybe he is charging 'only' $60/hr and $20 to cover the cost/time of travel to service you. In my opinion, 1 hour goes very quickly; so it is hard to achieve a lot.

Last edited:

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
I'm paying $25 for two hours for 2 on 1 tutor.

If you think you're making the most of your money, then continue. Otherwise just stop. There's never any commitments.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
He's been extremely helpful on in class stuff and things I give him. He gives me tons of papers for Physics and Extension 1 Maths.
The thing is that, I don't think that simple Math helping is justifiable for $80, even if its a private 1 on 1.
Now, with Trials, HSC coming up, is it still a good time to cancel out on him? And start going to a new tutor next year? My parents have paid a shit ton of money for this and now I seriously am considering quitting on this guy.

In the beginning where I wasn't great at Maths, he was slightly confusing but it got me through the basics. However, some stuff he isn't even completely sure of and doesn't give me the optimal way to answer the question. Often, he comes tired and doesn't seem all that helpful, unless I ask ALOT of questions which will eventually lead him to teaching me.

With $80 an hour, and also only an HOUR worth of lessons weekly, it doesn't seem right to pay that much for this guy.
Plus, he doesn't directly lead me to learning new topics, but it seems I have to guide him on what I want to do, so if I have lackluster work or no idea on the next topic, I can't actually learn much. Essentially he's only a question answerer.

I'm probably seeming obnoxious but I'd like your opinion, you guys have been great.

P.S. He has a lot of qualifications, and he travels to my house which would contribute to the fee.
That's extremely expensive, the only difference between him and me I guess, is that he charges exactly 3 times more that what I do, and may be more qualified as he has about 7 years more experience, a B.E and tutoring professional engineering (which isn't the most relevant qualification for mathematics)...

(Re: He gives me tons of papers for Physics and Extension 1 Maths., that would hardly be a reason for the high fee when sleuthing on the Interweb can find you most of them anyway).

See if you can find a guy that is as willing and as good to do for a better rate. Then again how far does he have to travel, if it just a walk away or a small drive, then that would hardly justify that price.

**That said if your family is fine with it and they are not unhappy about it, then I guess there is no issue for them.

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I'm paying $25 for two hours for 2 on 1 tutor.

If you think you're making the most of your money, then continue. Otherwise just stop. There's never any commitments.
That's cheap. What is your tutor's background?

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
That's cheap. What is your tutor's background?
He's an engineer, but he's just started out tutoring in his outdoor entertainment area in his backyard.
Still - he makes $50 a week and he doesn't give us any sheets or anything. We basically go through our textbooks a few weeks before school does.

I go Phys tutor too. There's like 40 of us in a class all pay $15/ph for 2 hours. $30 for two hours. 30 x 40 = $1200 That's crazy.

Silly Sausage

HSC
He's an engineer, but he's just started out tutoring in his outdoor entertainment area in his backyard.
Still - he makes $50 a week and he doesn't give us any sheets or anything. We basically go through our textbooks a few weeks before school does.

I go Phys tutor too. There's like 40 of us in a class all pay $15/ph for 2 hours. $30 for two hours. 30 x 40 = $1200 That's crazy.
That is ALOT of people in a class. Probably too much for individual attention especially considering how typical public high-school classes only consists of no more than ~25 people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)