Need help (tutoring for someone) (1 Viewer)

Jamesw123

HSC
I'm about to tutor someone on Thursday for Physics and I just got told today. I don't have much experience tutoring and I am expected to prepare this lesson. Thing is, how do I prepare? I'm not sure where the student is up to (1 on 1) and I'm not able to contact him (I don't even know him). Do I just come in with my notes and the HSC syllabus and just answer questions? Do I bring worksheets? Where do I even get them?? Do I bring in some past HSC questions? What do I do?
Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flop21

HSC
Be prepared to answer questions. But he'll probably expect you to lead. So be prepared for that. Just imagine what you'd want a tutor to do with you? I personally learn best by someone just going through the stuff. Then I'll ask questions as we go.

So maybe go in, ask him where he is, answer any questions he has first, see if he needs to go over any dot points (if so, then go and explain that dotpoint to him, with paper and pen and your voice) and tell him to speak up if he has any questions as you go, if he has 0 questions or areas to go over, just go over the next dotpoint he's up to.

First lesson may be a bit iffy, so just do above and hope for the best. But at the end you'll have a good idea what you'll be doing next session, and you could possibly prepare a document to aid your teaching.

But yeah, just put yourself in his shoes and think what you'd want.

Jamesw123

HSC
Thanks!
I never had a private tutor so I can't think of how to act much. Should I do a small topic test to see what they do/don't know?

Flop21

HSC
Thanks!
I never had a private tutor so I can't think of how to act much. Should I do a small topic test to see what they do/don't know?
Personally, nah. I feel like that would just waste time. Again, if I was in their shoes, I'd be able to tell you what I'm struggling with so far. So hopefully they'll be able to do that as well.

Maybe someone else can voice their opinion on this, I've actually never had a private tutor for a subject other than maths.

Jamesw123

HSC
Personally, nah. I feel like that would just waste time. Again, if I was in their shoes, I'd be able to tell you what I'm struggling with so far. So hopefully they'll be able to do that as well.

Maybe someone else can voice their opinion on this, I've actually never had a private tutor for a subject other than maths.
Cool thanks. anyone else have any ideas or tips for me?

Jamesw123

HSC
Today's session went so well! I brought in questions and notes/resources and the lesson flowed pretty well.
Something I'd like to know, how do you structure "teaching notes"?
Should they just be like my HSC notes following dotpoints? Or should I just put headings? And should I make the student copy down the notes or should I just hand to him the notes?

Jamesw123

HSC
Also, was this method efficient?
1. Introduce section being taught
2. Explain
3. Couple of questions based on concept learnt
4. Repeat

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
How did you come to be engaged as his tutor? Maybe you registered with a tutoring agency of sorts and it has a student in your area.

Jamesw123

HSC
How did you come to be engaged as his tutor? Maybe you registered with a tutoring agency of sorts.
Mum's friend has a student that has a tutor who went on holiadys and is coming back soon. Thought it'd be good experience for if I decide to pursue an education degree.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Ah - that'd be a good start if you intend to do Education. Good luck.

Jamesw123

HSC
Ah - that'd be a good start if you intend to do Education. Good luck.
Thank you. Do you have any tips on becoming a good teacher? I assume you're very well experienced (judging from your signature)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
To be to be a good teacher, I'm only speculating:

- you must have good subject matter knowledge; in this regard, say you want to be a Physics teacher, you should do a degree majoring in Physics first. You then get you teaching qualification. Same for other subjects like maths. This was the way it was over 50 years ago. I don't know if a typical B Ed adequately prepares you to be a teacher in any chosen discipline.

- you must have a passion for teaching; to enjoy sharing your authoritative knowledge of the subject you are teaching.

- you must be a good communicator and expositor; this may come naturally to some, but may take a little longer for others

- you must strive to inspire interest in the subject you teach

- you must stay abreast of your field; read widely.

Also, as a student over the years, some of your teachers were widely considered by your class to be good teachers. Think about it. What were their attributes? What made your class think they are good. Learn from this.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)