Anyone starts tutoring for HSC in year 11? (1 Viewer)

eggwah123

HSC
N/A
Interested to know whether anyone starts tutoring early in year 11 for year 12 HSC subjects like Chem, Physics and Economics?
Is it helpful or recommended?

aoc

HSC
a lot of people do, probs not recommended for yr 11 becuase you dont know if you will struggle or not but for yr 12 if youre struggling then chem/phys could be quite helpful. If you think you are grasping everything easily then no need for tutoring. In my experience (PERSONAL OPINION) economics tutoring is useless.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
When it comes to it I believe that tutoring for Chemistry and physics is more worthwhile than economics when it comes to it. It always helps to be ahead on any subject as it will usually help with the strain of learning something new and perfecting it in a limited amount of time, instead you are able to revise the content and further improve. My recommendation is tutoring for chemistry and physics at least 1 year ahead is essential due to the limited time you are given at school and such. But really it's up to how you feel :) ( this is my recommendation, not saying this is how it should be like )
Your HSC is in 2018, no offence but I don't think you are fit to be making recommendations on this subject. How can you do a year 12 course while not understanding or knowing any of the fundamentals from a year 11 course???? ESPECIALLY for chemistry which you learn so much of the fundamentals in year 11

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I assumed the person already finished the year 11 syllabus for the subjects as why does a person ask for tutoring for the year 12 syllabus in year 11. I also am talking from my perspective since I finished the year 11 syllabus + 3/4 of the year 12 syllabus in year 10. I said it's up to the person and I'm not saying this is how it should be like. I am just trying to give me perspective, as a fellow student.My aim was not to force my recommendation but to just say it, like you know this is a thread for anyone to comment on right? Like I understand you got a high atar and everything but you be mindful that he said that he didn't restrict a specific person from replying. So yeah, it can be assumed he has finished the year 11 course for chemistry and physics. Explaining why I answered like that but nevertheless your reply was correct the fundamentals of the year 11 course must be extremely solid before progressing to the year 12 course
How are your fundamentals extremely solid if you learnt the whole course yourself?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I assumed the person already finished the year 11 syllabus for the subjects as why does a person ask for tutoring for the year 12 syllabus in year 11. I also am talking from my perspective since I finished the year 11 syllabus + 3/4 of the year 12 syllabus in year 10. I said it's up to the person and I'm not saying this is how it should be like. I am just trying to give me perspective, as a fellow student.My aim was not to force my recommendation but to just say it, like you know this is a thread for anyone to comment on right? Like I understand you got a high atar and everything but you be mindful that he said that he didn't restrict a specific person from replying. So yeah, it can be assumed he has finished the year 11 course for chemistry and physics. Explaining why I answered like that but nevertheless your reply was correct the fundamentals of the year 11 course must be extremely solid before progressing to the year 12 course
Yes, i didn't say you can't reply, but you should at least provide a bit more substance stating he needs to learn the year 11 course beforehand

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
pretty sure it's solid since I am able to do trial papers from the top 30 schools getting a range from 88%-96% in terms of results and under examination conditions. My work gets marked by various teachers and university students who got at least 95% in physics and chemistry ( people I know personally). Learning the course by myself doesn't mean I do not have a solid fundamental. I have no idea why you would say that, as I know people who have learnt the course themselves and placed the hard work in and eventually achieving that band 6 in physics, chemistry and biology, even some achieving a state rank. I am assuming that I am being compared to a counterpart that actually goes to physics and chemistry coaching and has all of those resources to aid them. But since I am less unfortunate than people like them, I can't afford physics and chemistry coaching. Learning the course myself does not brand me as having a weak fundamental in year 11 physics and chemistry. That question actually offended me a lot, since a lot of people like me don't have the luxury to attend a lot of coaching , instead put in the hard work and being seen as less competent.
I didn't even mention tutoring in the question and I wasn't trying to offend you it was a legitimate question.

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
pretty sure it's solid since I am able to do trial papers from the top 30 schools getting a range from 88%-96% in terms of results and under examination conditions. My work gets marked by various teachers and university students who got at least 95% in physics and chemistry ( people I know personally). Learning the course by myself doesn't mean I do not have a solid fundamental. I have no idea why you would say that, as I know people who have learnt the course themselves and placed the hard work in and eventually achieving that band 6 in physics, chemistry and biology, even some achieving a state rank. I am assuming that I am being compared to a counterpart that actually goes to physics and chemistry coaching and has all of those resources to aid them. But since I am less unfortunate than people like them, I can't afford physics and chemistry coaching. Learning the course myself does not brand me as having a weak fundamental in year 11 physics and chemistry. That question actually offended me a lot, since a lot of people like me don't have the luxury to attend a lot of coaching , instead put in the hard work and being seen as less competent.
Calm down no need to be so defensive we get it you seem to be very advanced

As for pikachu975's question - I agree, it was a legitimate question imo because there's people who self learn in advance and feel insecure because they don't have the confidence/guidance offered by learning at school or tutoring

That being said, I don't think anybody's putting you down as less competent for not having the luxury of attending coaching - as someone who regrets going to different levels of tutoring non stop from year 4, I can confidently say that people who are able to put their learning into their own hands and not rely on tutors are admirable - especially since you have the initiative of doing this before y11/12.

eggwah123 said:
Interested to know whether anyone starts tutoring early in year 11 for year 12 HSC subjects like Chem, Physics and Economics?
Is it helpful or recommended?
If you do decide to do this
Don't be like me, which is:
Don't learn everything and just neglect it because I learnt like a majority of the prelim maths content in year 9 and slacked off/forgot stuff in year 11 :^) oops
Make learning things in advance worth the time and effort - don't throw your time away to learn content in advance only to burn yourself out/forget, which is such a waste and feels bad

But yeah make sure you know your prelim stuff/your fundamentals well - I know quite a few people in younger grades who are doing well in my tutoring classes, not sure what'll happen when they reach their actual HSC year though

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)