Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By greg1957
  • 2 Post By Drongoski

Thread: 1st in James Ruse English and Modern History Tutoring

HSC

1st in James Ruse English and Modern History Tutoring

Hi I just graduated from James Ruse Agricultural High School, and am offering private tutoring for English and Modern History.

My ranks were:
    English Advanced: 1st overall, 2nd in trial
    Modern History: 1st overall, 1st in trial

Throughout year 12, I ran study groups for my grade in both these subjects and have given feedback for other students' essays.
    My tutorials are focussed upon helping you understand the text/topic and refining your essays. I am also happy to mark your essays free of charge in my own time. I will provide extensive feedback and suggestions, with a minimum of 500 words feedback for first drafts.

I am willing to tutor from my home in Carlingford, or from local libraries e.g. Carlingford, Epping, Castle Hill, Parramatta.

The texts I studied for English:
    The Tempest
    Letters to Alice + Pride and Prejudice
    Citizen Kane
    Judith Wright Poetry

My topics for Modern History:
    Germany 1919-1939
    Albert Speer
    Conflict in the Pacific

Charge: $40 for one hour lesson at home + free essay marking.
    $50 for one hour lesson at library + free essay marking.
    $30 per essay for online essay marking.

Feel free to contact me for more details if interested at williamchua1@hotmail.com

Thanks,
    William Chua

HSC

Re: 1st in James Ruse English and Modern History Tutoring

There are two types of students who achieve top English marks:
    (i) Edgy teens who, fuelled by coffee, frantically type out Nobel Prize-worthy literature at 3am on a stroke of genius; and
    (ii) Organised students who appreciate the nuances within HSC English and work consistently throughout the school year.

I've known William all throughout high school, and admittedly, he's edgy-genius as much as he is organised-hardworking.
    I, on the other hand, was a student who neither had that writing flair, nor had a plan to address my lack of talent.

William helped me a huge amount in Year 12, and with his advice and feedback I was able to improve my essay structure, as well as develop more sophisticated arguments and meaningful analysis. By helping me tackle my weaknesses systematically, he helped me not only improve my marks, but also start to tap into what talent I, indeed, might have had. And sometimes, just being able to talk with him about English, a subject that he had such a passion for, was already very inspiring.

William is an incredible person who made my HSC english journey that much smoother. I hope that he can make your journey easier too.
    Drongoski likes this.

Loquacious One
    HSC
    N/A

greg: a well-crafted piece of ringing endorsement

Last edited by Drongoski; 6 Dec 2017 at 7:30 PM.
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

Loquacious One
    HSC
    N/A

By the way, not that anyone cares (with apologies to William):

The surname Chua indicates that William's dad has Hokkien or Teochew roots in Malaysia or Singapore. This surname may manifest itself in a variety of versions: Chuah (Penang spelling), Cai, Tsai, Choi, Choy (in Cantonese), Tsoi, Chye (in Hakka), Chai, Thai or Sai (in Vietnamese), Toy, Toi (in Toishan dialect), Sua (in Hainanese), Tjoa (in Hokkien, but old Indonesian spelling, Coa in new spelling) among others. The founder of Talent 100 is also a Chua, as is Amy

Guys: don't forget: William can help you in your English and Modern History. He must be very very good, with so many endorsements .
    Last edited by Drongoski; 7 Dec 2017 at 9:31 AM.
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

HSC

This guy is a bloody legend in English, dragged my ranks from the gutter to a band 6, completely from his own generosity. We were class mates, and he would have so much patience and dedication in trying to teach me concepts I couldn't understand. He's English skills are definitely on point, with him always getting close to full marks or full marks for almost every assessment, and more importantly, he can teach really well in a way that's easy to understand. Definitely has the skills to be an amazing tutor.

HSC
    N/A

This guy's good - got a triple digit mark in english trials.
    But seriously, I've found his advice to be well worth listening to. Defs worth giving him a shot.

HSC

As well as being a great mate, Will was dedicated to helping me (and many others) improve our essays/creatives for the HSC. Being quite an average English student, I constantly pestered him for feedback; and he was happy to give me his honest, justified opinion and any suggestions for improvement. It was honestly a life-saver.

If you're struggling in English, William is the perfect person to help.

HSC

Didn't know you were doing tutoring - also didn't know your ranks were this good! I can testify he gives solid feedback on English, on my trial creative, at the level of a good English teacher, so he would definitely make a good tutor.

Thread Information