Is tutoring necessary for 95+ ATAR (1 Viewer)

HSC
has anyone ever achieved 95+ without tutoring? everyone is telling me to get a tutor for year 11 & 12

DM_10

HSC
Uni Grad
Some of my friends have gotten over 95 without tutoring but that required persistent studying everyday and doing a lot of past papers. Like if you just follow the syllabus, spend a few hours a day on revising and understanding content as well as doing past papers and feedback from your teachers, it finna be a breeze. Tutoring does help I guess bcos someone is there guiding/assisting you as you go along. Never had tutoring i also got a 50 atar so i highly doubt what I say is viable

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
No, it's not really necessary. I know some people who got above 95 and even some 99.95's who did no tutoring.

To be honest, your performance is more dependent upon your own initiative and motivation to do well rather than one person guiding you. Of course, tutors can be extremely helpful at times and sometimes can give you an extra 'edge'. Personally, I liked tutoring (in particular for Chemistry) as I learnt a lot of nice tips and tricks that made the subject so much more simpler.

I know this sounds ironic from me since I am tutoring people myself now but in all seriousness, it all comes down to the individual.

andrew12678

HSC
As a product of tutoring I won't ever really know how I would have fared without it, in my own opinion it definitely did help with subtle nuances that probably made all the difference in deciding my final ATAR. However, if asked whether it was necessary for me to attain 95+, I would probably have to say no.

Robbie M

HSC
Personally i did not get tutoring just because i knew how and what to study for exams, similarly another friend of mine also went without tutoring and received 98.95. However i do know of some people being tutored and being overwhelmed by the amount of work (from tutor) and subsequently under performing.
Ultimately its an individuals decision and should be based as such and taking into account; drive, intelligence, determination, resources and your personal goal etc

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
has anyone ever achieved 95+ without tutoring? everyone is telling me to get a tutor for year 11 & 12
Depends. If you are really smart, self-motivated, then an ATAR of 95+ is nothing. I suppose enrolling for tutoring forces many, who would not have the discipline required, to do the necessary amount of study and hard work.

Also tutoring improves your chances of doing better. But it costs money, which not everyone can afford.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with Drongoski that it depends. I know people who have received 99.95 without tutoring so its certainly possible!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)