Starting Tutoring in Year 11 (1 Viewer)

krustykrab123

HSC
I currently go to a selective school (and not doing too bad either), but I've never done tutoring. But, I want to start next year (year 11) to help since I don't want to be left behind since 90% of the year group does tutoring. I'm not sure whether to do private or centre tuition - I've seen people saying that private is more personalised, but would centres have more resources? Also, I've only ever worked at the school speed, never ahead. So, would I need to do a lot of catch-up at tutoring centres? I've seen some people in my year group already doing year 12 work. Basically, would it be feasible for me to join? Also I'm in western sydney (Hills District) - any tuition centre/tutor recommendations would be helpful (math ext 1 and phys/chem)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
For resources it really depends also on the price you are willing to pay. As many of the tutoring centres have lessons that go for 3 hours and therefore are fairly costly. I had personal experience going to Matrix during the last term of year 11 and most of year 12, and found that they had good resources (but mostly the homework booklets are helpful), but in terms of the content resources I wouldn't say it was far superior than other notes or information I could find in a textbook or the internet because the content in high school is only so advanced to a certain point (there is a lot of repetitive questions even in sciences that if you learn how to do once you can do most questions) and also the books have a lot of blank spaces which is intended since the questions are covered throughout the lesson, but that means it will also depend what teacher you get and how detailed they are willing to go into the content.

On the other hand private tutoring I would say in terms of the resources it will still be fairly similar if you seek out a tutor who is experienced in the topic (very important since the syllabus for the chemistry and physics has changed so I would really recommend you find someone who is doing the subjects at uni or has some type of proof they know this content before, because I'm currently tutoring these subjects and from personal experience I can say the changes to the syllabus are quite extensive (although a lot of the core ideas are still present), there are large changes in terms of areas like addition of entropy, thermodynamics, NMR spectroscopy (also spectroscopy in general) removal of option topics which means some content in the option topics before is now a core topic (where not every person in the past would have completed all of the option topics unless they are studying the course at uni because these topics in the previous syllabus were not covered at all. But are introduced in universities in depth during first year chemistry and physics courses.

In terms of going ahead that far to do year 12 content I don't really think there is any large benefit the person is going to gain by doing that. Sure if you are interested maybe have a read of a bit of the content or watch some videos on youtube to get a basic understanding, but there's no need to go full on straight away because you need to remember these senior years are a marathon rather than a sprint and consistency is more important than trying to rush everything to get ahead, because any of your assessment tasks at school will be on content that has been covered up until that point in the class, so it's better to understand things in depth and being able to apply the content to questions rather than just knowing the information

Last edited:

ahri

HSC
Pretty much same situation for me, I would recommend starting tutoring for the sciences, especially if your teachers aren't that great. For physics and chemistry I would really recommend either Sigma or Hero Education, both are really good, cover content well and greater teachers who are pasionate. I wasn't too big of a fan for Ace since it was super expensive, long and somewhat irrelevant to what I was doing at school). For sciences, I would recommend group unless you are genuinely struggling a LOT and super behind, but I think you're fine. Would highly recommend science tutoring though, it genuinely does help a lot.

For maths, I think you're fine if you understand the concepts and willing to self-study to keep up, you will most definitely be fine.

I think group is not bad for sciences or maths but definitely individual tutoring for subjects like English. Since science/math is more about the resources and practicing your knowledge group is the cheaper and probably better option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)