Poll: Private coaching vs Centre based coaching?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Private coaching vs Centre based coaching?

HSC

Re: Private coaching vs Centre based coaching?

I found centre based alright, and it worked out to be fairly good value

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Snowe

Anyway I think one on one tutoring is best since you pretty much have to concentrate!! no one else in the class and you can't doze of. Plus you can ask more questions that way.
    Ditto!

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Wink Re: Private coaching vs Centre based coaching?

I have done 16 years of one-to-one tution. Mostly home tuition. At that time I could not even imagine anything better.

13 years ago, I was challenged by my neice to check out small group tuition at Master Coaching. I sat up the back of a small classroom, and watched 3 small classes being taught in an evening. I had to swallow my professional pride and admit to myself, that each of those students just learnt more maths than those that I had tutored in their own homes. And I was no slouch either, with over 10 of my school students having had their HSC school assessment mark scaled to 100, and 4u classes of 14 to 16 students nearly all scoring in top 50% of the 4u course. One student scoring 100 in the 3u test.

For the last 12 years I have taught 100's of students using Master Coaching methods. I work full-time in my learning centre, it is such a pleasure to make such a difference in the lives of my students. My webite is www.MasterCoachingLiverpool.com

Having experienced both sides of the fence. I am very much in favour of small group tuition. Experiencing (Seeing) is believing.

Our national website is www.MasterCoaching.com.au and it touches on the Private Coaching vs Centre based coaching? argument. It contains much good advice for students, such as, Study Tips, Goal Setting, Personal Evaluation of Career, Learning Skills, Planning your Study Program, Which Coaching College Suits My Child? Guide Posts to Success, Accelerated learning Techniques, Learning Mathematics, Learning English, FREE DOWNLOADS - 2006 HSC maths solutions, biography & PODCAST from Bob Ollis (Founder of Master Coaching in 1984) (DUX of Camden High school), GIFT CERTICATE for free maths lesson - VALID TO JAN 2008

ALL CHILDREN
    - love to learn
    - love success
    - are adaptable
    - want more information
    - have unlimited powers to achieve

Remember: That if it is to be, then it is up to me.

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Thumbs up Re: Private coaching vs Centre based coaching?

Cut & pasted straight off www.MasterCoaching.com website
    Fequently Asked Questions MENU

Question
    Which is better, one on one coaching or group coaching?

Answer
    We offer both, but all our observed data and reading suggest that students learn far better in a group situation. In coaching the student should be doing the bulk of the work during the session, otherwise the session is wasted. Students learn by doing, not by having concepts demonstrated to them.

In a one on one situation students often feel “spot lighted” and this leads to mild anxiety which prevents the students working in the alpha mode. Students who master a skill whilst in high beta mode (ie brain patterns at 15 c/s or above) retain very little of that skill as little as a few hours later. Students who acquire a skill in alpha mode (ie brain patterns at 12 –13c/s) generally retain that skill. A group situation enables students to relax, to cover far more work and to retain their mastered skills.

Matrixchemistry

www.matrixeducation.com.au

At Matrix Education, we provide class tutoring sessions. However, unlike some places, our class numbers are restricted to a maximum of 13 people.

The benefits of this are:
    - class groups allow students to share ideas and conceptual ideas; i.e. your peers will ask questions that you would never think of that would be considered qutie importent.
    - the limited number of students per class still provides close interaction with the teacher

At Matrix Education we strive to deliver results above expectations. You can always make a consultation booking and see the resources we provide.

HSC

I think Private tutoring works well for the student because then they won't be ignored a lot and get what they are paying for. also they won't get so side travted that easily.:rofl:

HSC

Well, Centre based coaching ensures that you are surrounded by your peers, which gives you something to strive for. There is also competition and motivation to be the top in the class.

HSC

Private Coaching is some more expensive but I think it`s more effective. But as 4 me I hate studying at all.
    Get Rid of Essay Writing Once and For All

HSC
    N/A

Private Coaching allows more for attention on the individual student, whereas in Centre based coaching some elements may be missed.

HSC

I prefer centre based as I make alot of friends there
    I guess thats not really the point, but i learn better in that environment. One on one would feel really awkward to me.

HSC

.I've had group and private sessions for the sciences and maths and i'd say that private is good for the sciences cos it allows more discussions withthe tutor on oncepts and stuff. Maths however i find private to be ineffective becos it's distracting having someone watching over you solving the problems;hence i recommend group tuition ( which i'm gonna actualli look for).

But the best thing i think is to have a mixture of both one-on-one and group for all subjects. Go to group first so you can actually learn responsively. if you don't get something, then ask one-on-one. One-on-One for learning isn't that good becos u'll totoally just rely on the tutor and be less responsive but it's good forr questions and stuff.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by tutor74
    From a tutor's point of view, it is good to be in a centre because they find students for you and if you have a group you get more per hour. But I know when I tutor one to one I can be much more helpful.
    What happens if only one or two student comes to your centre? You still get not as much money Its pretty much private tutoring, isn't it? And that happens all the time. You might even get less if its just 1 student!

But I prefer centers. Because students can share their ideas more, but of course thats what you always do at your normal school classroom. For private it feels awkward, though you'll get used to it. You'll have more of a chance to express your thoughts and your ideas.
    Last edited by Shadose; 14 Oct 2007 at 2:43 AM.

HSC
    N/A

For some reason, I'm thinking, Group tutoring for junior years and Private for senior years.

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Korn
    How much do centres cost, it only cost me about $30-35 for an hour
    That's actually really expensive. Even private tutors cost about that (although i know some that are $50+).

Private > Group

In my view, generally the more expensive the private tutor is, the better they are. This applies for uni/school leaver tutors btw (which most people get) as the max they can charge really would be about $40 for 1 on 1.

I find those that charge higher are doing so for a reason (ie they have more experience, are actually proficient or passionate about their subject, can ask for more money because they actually are in demand). It may be just me but those who have just graduated and have not received their marks (ie many of the 07ers) charge cheap prices but effectively are untested.

HSC

I used to do centre coaching but they never let us eat!

I do private now and it's much better. No i'm not fat, i just love eating fruitsin this hot weather hahaha
    I would love 95+ more than anything

Nothing will come of nothing!!

HSC
    N/A

private is a lot better.

you get INDIVIDUAL ATTENTION and ask qus that are important TO YOU, as opposed to a class based environment.

plus, i reckon im pretty good and i only charge $20/hr (come to your house - convenient), and u can prolly get some other great value tutors!

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by dark.deceptionz
    private is a lot better.

you get INDIVIDUAL ATTENTION and ask qus that are important TO YOU, as opposed to a class based environment.

plus, i reckon im pretty good and i only charge $20/hr (come to your house - convenient), and u can prolly get some other great value tutors!
    In your thread it says $25/hr?

So it's $20?

HSC

Lightbulb Re: Private coaching vs Centre based coaching?

Centre based tuition is a lot better. In individual tuition the tutor ends up doing the work for you and its not worth the money since you end up talking with the tutor - it is also a bit nerve wracking I think. In centre based if you go to the right place you get notes, questions and online support...plus the price is excellent AND you learn off others. Don't get me wrong individual is good if you get the right person it is good - but for a cheaper price u can get even better value in centre based.

For example in yr 12 I needed english tuition. So I went to a guy - Anthony lol... he had a diploma of teaching and was qualified. Well for the 2 hrs he went through 1/2 a page ... the rest of the time he showed me his family album and told me about his hobbies. The price was $50/hr.... GREAT

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by (T)(i)(m)&(M)a)
    Centre based tuition is a lot better. In individual tuition the tutor ends up doing the work for you and its not worth the money since you end up talking with the tutor - it is also a bit nerve wracking I think. In centre based if you go to the right place you get notes, questions and online support...plus the price is excellent AND you learn off others. Don't get me wrong individual is good if you get the right person it is good - but for a cheaper price u can get even better value in centre based.

For example in yr 12 I needed english tuition. So I went to a guy - Anthony lol... he had a diploma of teaching and was qualified. Well for the 2 hrs he went through 1/2 a page ... the rest of the time he showed me his family album and told me about his hobbies. The price was $50/hr.... GREAT
    Is this Anthony Bosco? Yeah i had a friend who had him and said he wasn't that great, but she stayed because he was better than her class teacher :/

Anyway like all private tutors, if Anthony_B wasn't that great why didn't you just leave then? It's not like he's forcing you to be there, and unlike group tuition you aren't paying upfront so you can leave anytime!

To me, group tutoring is too much like a school environment. And if you're already doing well in school than you won't need a tutor. And if you're not and you need one, then private is normally best (to me) cause centre based coaching is just school all over again

Also in my experience, most tutors don't do the work for you or anything, they still want you to work. If they know what they're on about then i think it's worth it, because it's a more personal learning environment where i can learn at my own pace (and even skip lessons when i don't want it! prior would never let me do that).

HSC
    N/A

I have been tutoring for almost 10 years now and I believe without doubt that one-on-one is the best form of tuition. There are a few points to consider I believe when choosing a tutor:
    - If they insist on a contract it may because they are not good enough to keep their customers based on service and skill
    - They should not have generic programs but rather should concentrate on your areas of concern/class topics.
    - I believe they should come to your home where you are most comforatble and also very convenient
    - Some large tutor companies start you off one on one and then shuffle you into a "class"
    - Obviously should have background checks done by the relevent departments
    - Your tutor should also either have been trained or have several years experience.

HSC

I have tried both a private tutor and centre based tutoring at the same time and sure; private tutor is good. You can focus on your weaknesses and occasionally review your strengths, but they're more expensive usually, for the experienced ones at least. A tutor that charges $50+/hour should come to your location, have 5 years or more of experience, and is updated with the syllabus. However, centre based tuition is good if you know where to go. For example, at Tipps, it's $30/2hours/week for Ext. I and Ext. II maths. They hand pick questions from everywhere as well. Across-the-board exams are hosted every half yearly to arrange classes. Sure there's stress, but it gets you used to being in exam conditions. If the normal tutor is away and you have a substitute; who was a total failure, then they may give you a free lesson on the same topic to recompensate.
    { Ρяιисэ οғ Ðаяқиεѕѕ: Tнε ÐєνιŁ'ѕ Iисаяиатιοη }

~ нѕc: `08 ~ υαι αιм: [98.85] ~

| ѕтαиđαяđ εиgℓιѕн | εхтεиѕιοи ІІ
    мαтнεмαтιcѕ |
    | εcοиοмιcѕ | бιοℓοgу |

"ѕтαяѕ; ряεтту ғяοм αғαя, бυт яιģнт υрғяоит, тнεу вυяи уоυ υρ~"

(мεмбεя οғ тιρρѕ)

HSC

Private!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

p.s. tutorfinder.com.au if you want to know what tuition I found my tutors in.
    UAI 99.65
    UNSW MBBS
    Subjects:
    maths ext1 96
    maths ext2 94
    english adv 93
    physics 94
    chemistry 96

tuition details: http://www.tutorfinder.com.au/tutor/jennyh.php

HSC

do u tutor .

I NEED IT WITH PDHPE,BIO,AND STANDARD ENG
    I ATTEND ERSKINE PARK HIGH SCHOOL .
    ANND IM WILL TO GO TO AROUND PENRITH,MT DRUITT,BLACKTOWN TO MEET UP WITH A TUTOR TO HELP ME .

HSC

i would say centre based tutoring, its not as intense and when u know where to go such as 'Tipps' at Yagoona, you actually notice all how smart some kids are!!

really gets you motivated

procrastinator
    HSC

I think I would prefer private tutoring. Even though it's a bit embarassing when you're very lost and there's nothing else to distract the tutor, I reckon this one-on-one environment allows for more intent and productive learning.

The group environment seems rather pointless to me as I have never felt I'm learning anything in such environments, nor am I receiving much help from the tutors.
    People are like slinkies. You can't help but laugh when they fall down the stairs! :rofl:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information