Poll: Private coaching vs Centre based coaching?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Private coaching vs Centre based coaching?

HSC

Re: Private coaching vs Centre based coaching?

private is best, but you can rarely find yourself a proper teacher who knows his/her stuff, instead of a recent hsc grad who has one perspective of the hsc to offer. And even if you can find such a teacher, could you afford it? the good ones i'm referring to cost upwards of $50/hr +

HSC

Private tutor is better if your tutor has the right materials and will teach you well. Whereas in Centre based coaching, they give you a lot of information and homework every week; but it is harder to teach you because the tutor got to teach a few students at one time.
    In private tutoring when you have a question during the lesson you can ask your tutor anytime and he/she will answer. But in centre based coaching, you tend to dont ask so much questions because you will slow down the progress of the lesson and at the same time annoy other students.
    It ultimately depends on whether your tutor is good at teaching and whether he/she gives you the right homework.

I do both private tutoring and centre based coaching.
    Northshore coaching - for maths/chemistry/physics
    Private tutoring - for maths and english

The problem with me is that both private tutoring and centre based coaching - don't work well with english for me. I really have no idea how to improve my english...
    ATAR 98.3

English Advanced
    Maths 4U
    Chemistry
    Physics

HSC

i totally agreez. massive problem with coaching is that if u joinz late.ur sscrewed

private is better from personal experience

HSC

I think private is only good for asking questions.

I think material-wise coaching colleges are better but if you have LOTS of qs every wk, then private does quite well. However, some private tutors can fall behind in their teaching of particular courses ( ie. they fall behind of school) while group tuition always places that extra step forward ahead of school ( which is good as it gives you exposure B4 school), otherwise , it is pointless tutoring and a waste of money...

However, I do think that responsively learning things on your own as opposed to heavily relying and being dependent on a tutor is better.
    Last edited by VuongstER_boi; 14 Nov 2008 at 3:01 PM.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by VuongstER_boi
    I think private is only good for asking questions.

I think material-wise coaching colleges are better but if you have LOTS of qs every wk, then private does quite well. However, some private tutors can fall behind in their teaching of particular courses ( ie. they fall behind of school) while group tuition always places that extra step forward ahead of school ( which is good as it gives you exposure B4 school), otherwise , it is pointless tutoring and a waste of money...

However, I do think that responsively learning things on your own as opposed to heavily relying and being dependent on a tutor is better.

At my school, practically everyone goes tutoring for maths and is way ahead of what they teach in class. I can't imagine who would want to pay to go tutoring that was behind school.Gosh, they are like so slow! However for English, not many people go tutoring and I am definitely in need for an English tutor very soon. Alas, good English tutors are very hard to find.

P.S I go to North Shore , where did you go for your subjects ????
    Last edited by honey44; 21 Nov 2008 at 3:47 PM.

HSC
    N/A

Centre based is the best, you can see how everyone your age is capable of and you can compare your answers with them.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by lindaguo View Post
    private is best, but you can rarely find yourself a proper teacher who knows his/her stuff, instead of a recent hsc grad who has one perspective of the hsc to offer. And even if you can find such a teacher, could you afford it? the good ones i'm referring to cost upwards of $50/hr +
    Hey guys, could you give me some idea why kids who are already doing very well need tutors? I can understand if a lost kid need tutoring, but when a high performing kid needs tutoring, I don't understand.

For example, my niece is in selective schools and already do quite Ok, but she would never get over 80% without having tutors. She recently moved from center-based to a private tutor in order to improve the results. The reason she gave me was that kids who had tutoring knew the topic about 3 months before being taught at the school. It looks like 80% of the kids in this selective school would drop badly in performance if they stop private tutoring.

Why is that? Does the teachers at the schools (selective ones) know how to teach the kids? When I was young I only used teachers as resources. I always learn much ahead from textbooks. I never needed tutoring or even teachers in some subjects. Why can't kids learn by themselves by reading and researching using textbooks?

It looks like these are average kids who tried so hard to be among real top kids and need constant private tutoring just to stay competitive? Or perhaps teachers at selective schools also don't know how to teach?

As you guys are in the schools, you might be able to tell me your opinions on this matter.

HSC
    N/A

I'm considering going tutoring for English and maybe Maths Extension 2 but if it's a class, is there any point? We already work in classes at school.

HSC
    N/A

i think private coaching is better,
    it focuses on you, help you with what you don't understand etc.
    Good Luck:wave: :burn:
    :mad1:
    :jaw:

HSC

I've tried both. They both of positives and negatives to it. Private is expensive, whereas class is not. But if you took the time and effort to stay back in tutor classes and ask questions, that on't be a problem as well. Some of the centre based classes have a 'homework class' after you finish your timetabled classes with teachers to help you. A lot of info from students get shared around too Some of those centre based ones have smaller classes and are graded according to an entrance exam, so I recon thats pretty good.

The competition in class tests at center based classes gives you motivation to improve better- mainly because you got competition!

But as for now, my weakest subject I get private tutoring. And the others are centre based for Business and Economics

HSC
    N/A

PRIVATE!!!

but finding a good one is so damn hard
    just cos such and such got 100 uai doesn't mean they're great teachers

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by oasfree View Post
    Hey guys, could you give me some idea why kids who are already doing very well need tutors? I can understand if a lost kid need tutoring, but when a high performing kid needs tutoring, I don't understand.

For example, my niece is in selective schools and already do quite Ok, but she would never get over 80% without having tutors. She recently moved from center-based to a private tutor in order to improve the results. The reason she gave me was that kids who had tutoring knew the topic about 3 months before being taught at the school. It looks like 80% of the kids in this selective school would drop badly in performance if they stop private tutoring.

Why is that? Does the teachers at the schools (selective ones) know how to teach the kids? When I was young I only used teachers as resources. I always learn much ahead from textbooks. I never needed tutoring or even teachers in some subjects. Why can't kids learn by themselves by reading and researching using textbooks?

It looks like these are average kids who tried so hard to be among real top kids and need constant private tutoring just to stay competitive? Or perhaps teachers at selective schools also don't know how to teach?

As you guys are in the schools, you might be able to tell me your opinions on this matter.
    Not all selective school teachers are good. There are some who just get you to summarise out of a textbook and this is when tutoring is handy. There are also some teachers who believe that selective kids need to learn stuff themselves. These teachers don't teach at all! Yeah, kids could learn by themselves by reading and using textbooks, but this becomes hard because there are some concepts that need to be explained by teachers. Some kids are capable of self learning, but the loss of a classroom environment demotivates them from self learning, hence they need tutors to help them accelerate.

Usually the smart kids that get tutored are being pressured by their parents to reach their absolute best, or the kid wants to learn more. Some kids also feel advantaged if they learn ahead of what he/she is learning at school.
    Last edited by studentcheese; 22 Feb 2009 at 6:47 PM.
    2009 Preliminary
    Eng Ext 1. Maths Ext 1. Chemistry. Economics. Ancient History.
    2010 HSC
    Advanced English. Maths Ext 2. Chemistry. Economics.

HSC

Mmm well economically speaking one and one is about the same as group tutoring usually a little bit more :S. I rekon you should go for both lol... If your asian at heart (like my parents) you'll be like why the hell would I go for both. Look at this way work hard and spend extra money for 2 years and your life will be significantly better. The advantage of one on one is that you can ask questions that you have trouble with, can go at your own pace and so on. The advantage of group tuition is that you get work,other people will ask questions which you never of thought of and the social side of it. In simple terms choose which one you want or do both
    Preliminary Subjects
    Mathematics Extension 1
    English Advanced
    Chemistry
    Economics
    Business Studies
    Legal Studies

HSC

I've been with private tutoring for about 5 years now...and yes it is perfect when they are totally focused on you, but in the past two years my teacher caught up with "life" (marriage, buying new home, babies and the whole deal) and also gaining a LOT more students..(i go to her home to tutor btw) and theres been some double timing with students going on..:mad1:
    before that i spent 3 years at north shore, from what I can remember I could not pick up anything -- private made things a lot clearer..
    but then I'm the type that takes time to take a grasp to new things

I'm considering...most probably going to quit private and go for a coaching centre instead now, in the upcoming term. I hope things go better than my north shore years --

however, up until this point, if you have the bucks..like everyone is saying $50/h + , and also a quality teacher, then that's pretty good as they really do focus on exactly what you don't get.

sorry~ gave a mini autobiography there --
    Last edited by tanzaa; 1 Apr 2009 at 10:44 PM.

HSC

I've done both, and i'd have to say, it really depends on what type of person you are.
    Like for me, i learnt better with a friend atmosphere.
    But you really do feel the pressure when its one on one. T^T
    JAYS(au)
    Maths + Maths Ext 1 + English Advanced + English Ext 1 + Physics +
    Modern History + Legal Studies
    Aim: 95+
    ryanreynolds<3

HSC
    N/A

Agree with sunnaye.

I have done both as well.

When i was getting private tutoring at my place i tends to get distracted and less focused.

While in a group environment i am generally more focused and switch-on because of the people around me. But i guess this is subject to size of the class and the level of focus of other students around you.

HSC
    N/A

One on one is better than the group tutoring. It will give more result.

HSC

i think it really depends on the student and how the tutor or tutoring school structures the classes. group classes and crash courses like the academic enrichment tutoring ones coming up are small groups and so youre able to ask questions unlike bigger ones like tsfx where you can hardly hear the lecturer let alone ask him questions

Phys and Chem tutor HiRe education's Avatar
    HSC

A small group of students (less than 10) is the way to go !
    It's cheap.
    It's focused.
    And it provides a good balance between private and class atmosphere !

HSC

Private for subjects like English. Weekly lessons.
    Small groups for subjects like Science (Phys, Chem, Bio etc.)
    Large groups for subjects like Maths with occasional help from a private tutor. Perhaps fortnightly lessons.
    We've got a music video for the 2011 HSCers! Study Hard Anthem v2.0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HZfoJuB8-8

2007 HSC | 2013 UNSW MBBS | Founder NSW Tutors

HSC

I think that group tutoring is better overall as long as its done with the right people, and its less stressful than 1 on 1 environments (:
    oh and all the >99.5 people at my school pretty much all went group tutoring for all their subjects (maths, sciences and english) you cant really argue with results
    _______NSBHS'11 ___________________ATAR: 99.55

MX1 - 97, MX2 - 94, ENG - 91, PHYS - 95, CHEM - 92, IPT - 94

HSC
    N/A

Is not group tuition better? As you learn also from other people in the group or even you can say how well you do compared with the rest?

HSC

Again, it should solely depend upon the person's preference and how they can adapt. So long as you have a good teacher, it shouldn't necessarily matter whether you go to a coaching centre or private tuition.

HSC

in my opinion both the coaching formulas is not good for our society because the coaching institute owner make money on behalf of this and make a business , they just want to make money not want to give proper education for children
    check this Debra Fine

thank you

HSC

In my opinion both the coaching policies is not in favour of student and also not in favour of our society bacause today coaching institute is not a place where student go for learn the proper education because coachin institute is only a mean of business .
    Check this Debra Fine
    thank you

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information