Poll: Turoting rates

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Coaching rates?

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by LaraB
    hardly know anyone who charges $40.... first year or otherwise..

and regardless- being at uni longer doens't make you a better tutor...

especially for things like enlgish where the longer you've been at uni, the more irrelevant your knowledge is in relation to AOS etc...

ther's no reason why a 1st year student isn't as or more capable than a 5th year studeht in tutoring a high school kid... high school work has nothing to do with uni work so if you understand the high school stuff's that's all that matters.. extra 'uni level' info students are given is largely irrelvant coz it isn't partof the marking criteria and outcomes...
    A lot of first years are still kids, let's face it... It's not really about how long you've been at uni, though, it's about the experience you've had with students. And tutors who've had lots of students AND keep up with the syllabus (like me- shameless plug) are far better than those who've just gone through, know the stuff, but don't know how to pass the info on. I tend to find the older I get, the more my knowledge is respected.

Also, some pre-honours or Special Entry subjects extend on HSC knowledge. For example, I did History Extension in year 12, and am just finishing 2nd year pre-honours Ancient History. 1st semester was looking at the modern thinkers and their role in the perception of (ancient) history, and in 2nd semester we looked at the ancient thinkers. Sounds like the "What is History" unit to me (only a tad more complex ).

I think it does make a difference, and that I, for example, am a far better tutor than when I started out (teaching in classrooms at a college certainly helps as well, gives you experience )

LaraB
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient_nut
    A lot of first years are still kids, let's face it... It's not really about how long you've been at uni, though, it's about the experience you've had with students. And tutors who've had lots of students AND keep up with the syllabus (like me- shameless plug) are far better than those who've just gone through, know the stuff, but don't know how to pass the info on. I tend to find the older I get, the more my knowledge is respected.

Also, some pre-honours or Special Entry subjects extend on HSC knowledge. For example, I did History Extension in year 12, and am just finishing 2nd year pre-honours Ancient History. 1st semester was looking at the modern thinkers and their role in the perception of (ancient) history, and in 2nd semester we looked at the ancient thinkers. Sounds like the "What is History" unit to me (only a tad more complex ).

I think it does make a difference, and that I, for example, am a far better tutor than when I started out (teaching in classrooms at a college certainly helps as well, gives you experience )

so what - you jump from a kid to an adult in a matter of months between 1st and 2nd year?

look.. you obviously didn't get what i was saying....

so i'll say again in plainer english - a 1st year student can be equally capable of being a good tutor

being at uni doesn't necessarily mean your extra knowledge is relevant and before you start going on about history - you will note that i did not say "NO UNI KNOWLEDGE WILL HELP" - so just as you say i am wrong i can equally say you are wrong as people i tutor for legal studies know that half teh stuff i learn at uni isn't covered in the syllabus or is covered incorrectly, so if you write it in an assessment you will not recieve marks or may be negatively marked for it as it is not 'correct' in the syllabus/teacher's eyes

obviously you missed my point is you feel you can negate my comment by using one hsc subject as an example.. especially as your 'theory' does not apply to other subjects

plus - just coz you're a 2nd year uni student doesn't mean you know jack sh*t.... eg a girl i tutor used to be tutored by a 3rd year LLB student assuming she'd be a better legal tutor coz of that.... neva mind that she had a GPA of 4 and WAM of around 50-ish... whereas my lowly 1st year self has a current WAM of 85 and knows the syllabus inside out so logically i'd know my stuff better....

and besides - all of this is totally irrelevant really since it doesn't mean sh*t if you can't communicate it across and your ideas aren't in line with the syllabus.. no teacher will give a sh*t if you can name every theorist covered by a uni HRM course, for business studies, and know their theories inside out when all they care about and all that you are marked on is pretty much maslow mcgregor and maybe 1 or 2 others...

so as i said - yeh fine ancient history is different but it does'nt mean the same applies to the majority of subjects.

HSC
    N/A
    I do private tuition for about $18 an hour. And that's at-home tuition, too (or a library or something)

Mind you, I'm a first-year Uni student. I don't have an uber-fantastic UAI (although it was over 90), nor do I have oodles of experience. So I figure $18 is a fair price I also live out where almost no-one else does, so any work is good work!

my god, I was so ripped off. I paid $70 and $80 an hour......

LaraB
    Quote Originally Posted by deptada
    my god, I was so ripped off. I paid $70 and $80 an hour......
    holy crap! even if they're a teacher that's a bit nuts!

one of teacher's from my school who was regarded as like, the!!! best in the school - like just about everyone gets 90+ even the lesser capable students - said she charged $45 an hour if they didn't wanna send her practice essays n stuff so ie it was only the hour each week she spent on em but she charged $60 if they sent heaps of work to get checked over...

and i mean - she's like the best teacher i've eva seen

HSC

VIsual Arts

Quote Originally Posted by soso
    I notice that tutoring subjects are maths english science etc. Anyone get tutoring in Visual Arts? How much does it cost? Who does it ? and where??????
    I do it

HSC
    basically if you're paying more for a tutor than say for a stripper, then you know you're not getting value for money.
    Educating women used to be an amusing experiment but now it's just bloody annoying.

DO YOU NEED RELIABLE MATHS OR ECONOMICS TUTORING IN THE PARRAMATTA-CARLINGFORD-EPPING AREA?

THEN FEEL FREE TO PM ME!

HSC
    holy crap! even if they're a teacher that's a bit nuts!

one of teacher's from my school who was regarded as like, the!!! best in the school - like just about everyone gets 90+ even the lesser capable students - said she charged $45 an hour if they didn't wanna send her practice essays n stuff so ie it was only the hour each week she spent on em but she charged $60 if they sent heaps of work to get checked over...

and i mean - she's like the best teacher i've eva seen
    a teacher charging to read essays???? what the fuck???
    Leeds United for promotion

LaraB
    Quote Originally Posted by nedzelic
    a teacher charging to read essays???? what the fuck???
    i don't think you understood at all what i was saying..

i was referring to teachers who are acting as your tutor - they charge more if you want to send them essays 4 or 5 times a week than if you are just rocking up to a 1hour tutorial once a week as they're doing heaps of work for you out of that hour if you send them stuff so they should be paid to account for thath

HSC
    yeah, ok, but if they weren't tutoring you, and you were just sending them your essays, would they still charge??
    Leeds United for promotion

LaraB
    Quote Originally Posted by nedzelic
    yeah, ok, but if they weren't tutoring you, and you were just sending them your essays, would they still charge??
    if they weren't your teacher or at your school - probably since its extra work on top of what's required of them

HSC
    i tutor english & eco and mark essays with detailed feedback by email all the time and i dont charge extra. I dont see the point of charging an extra, what 5 bucks? to mark an essay.

when assessment time rolls around, i tend to go overtime as well (if i have the time)and it doesnt bother me at all.

i dont see it purely as a business transaction where every tidbit of work/labor/teaching needs to be accounted for exactly and charged accordingly. Maybe I'm just naive

LaraB
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah168
    i tutor english & eco and mark essays with detailed feedback by email all the time and i dont charge extra. I dont see the point of charging an extra, what 5 bucks? to mark an essay.

when assessment time rolls around, i tend to go overtime as well (if i have the time)and it doesnt bother me at all.

i dont see it purely as a business transaction where every tidbit of work/labor/teaching needs to be accounted for exactly and charged accordingly. Maybe I'm just naive
    yes but that's because you aren't a qualified english teacher - if you started tacking on extra fees students would probably look elsewhere for a tutor...

teacher's have full time jobs so i think its fair enough to have to pay a bit extra if you're going to bombard them with stuff out of your tutoring hours and expect replies, especially as if they are a hsc teacher they'll have a heap of their own students stuff that should take priority..

HSC
    Plus, teachers have so much experience.
    Bsc(Medical Microbiology & Immunology/Mathematics) @ UNSW (I)

HSC
    yes but that's because you aren't a qualified english teacher - if you started tacking on extra fees students would probably look elsewhere for a tutor...

teacher's have full time jobs so i think its fair enough to have to pay a bit extra if you're going to bombard them with stuff out of your tutoring hours and expect replies, especially as if they are a hsc teacher they'll have a heap of their own students stuff that should take priority..
    yeah that makes sense and i completely agree but i was thinking about people like me who are just in 1st yr uni tutoring and charging extra for those things

HSC
    per hour rates -
    hsc kids who thinks he is a top tutor - $15-$25
    uni kid with some skills and good uai - $20-$30
    teacher who is ok at tutoring - $30-$40
    head teacher - $40-$50
    head teacher with heaps of skills and good cred in the business, teaching at a high ranked school - $50-$100

HSC
    are you insane? as in about the last line. i have never known of a tutor who charges more than 50 bucks an hour. that's a plain rip off no matter how smart and excellent you are....except for deptada's experience. that's..whow.

HSC
    what sort of magic can be spun in a single hour for +50 dollar?!?!

ridiculous

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by rnitya_25
    are you insane? as in about the last line. i have never known of a tutor who charges more than 50 bucks an hour. that's a plain rip off no matter how smart and excellent you are....except for deptada's experience. that's..whow.

ahh no I had a tutor for maths for a few week she writes texts books and is head teacher at a selective school she is $65 a hour...

my english tutor I had for a lil while was $55/hour aswell

HSC
    wow that's insane. in my opinion, i think its a waste of time to go to really high class prople, like text book writers, i think the writer of cambridge mathematics is the head teacher of james ruse or something. he tutors, but people say he's crap because he's a little too up himself. he prolly charges such high rates too. you can find really good tutors for better rates, around 25 bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_gtr
    Rnitya is like the the sweetest cookie ever, kinda like those macadamia cookies from subway; it crumbles in your mouth and its so sweet you could swear its doused in sugar, but its guaranteed to be 100% natural and wholesome goodness.
    -Be the change you want to see. -Mahatma Gandhi
    -Don't worry about your difficulties in Maths, I can assure you, mine are still greater.-Albert Einstein.
    -Whatever you do, do it from the heart- Abhishek Bachchan

Tennis Fan
    HSC
    wow.. some ppl pay alot for tutoring! well i go to group tutoring and im paying like $10 per hr from a uni student and $12.50 per hr for tutoring from high school teachers (one selective the other private skool)

'06 Graduate
    HSC

Re: Coaching rates?

WHO does physics and chemistry tutoring 4 a reasonable r8..
    looking 4 about 2 hours each subj per week.....

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by 7th Sign
    ahh no I had a tutor for maths for a few week she writes texts books and is head teacher at a selective school she is $65 a hour...

my english tutor I had for a lil while was $55/hour aswell
    Not worth it because you didn't get the uai you wanted
    class '05

HSC

one of my friends hired an english teacher from one of those expensive private schools ~ $90/hr

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by tactic
    What do you think are reasonable rates for tutoring? This is for both private and group based tutoring! would you pay more for someone who had a better reputation?
    For private, I'd say $30-40 per hour is fair, as long as the student is benifitting as much as they can from the tuition and the teacher is decent.

For group, probably $15-25, same reasoning as before.

I'd definitely offer more if needed for someone with a higher rep, especially if they just completed their HSC, scored high in that subject, and still have their knowledge fresh in their minds.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information