Tutor: Sydney. 2 state rankings. UAI-98.60. Eng Adv & ext 1+2, M-Hist, Hist-Ext, SOR1 (1 Viewer)

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
CLOSED. No more tutoring until further notice.

Hello, my name is Matthew.

I am a trinity (Lismore) graduate of 2005, and during 2006 (deferring Uni for a year) I will be offering tutoring to both year 11 (preliminary) and year 12 (HSC) students. I achieved a UAI of 98.60 and two state-rankings and I’m keen to help students achieve their own goals in order to secure a place in their desired University course. My rates are competitive- at the moment 20 dollars p/h + a small transport fee if required. I am located in the inner west but am prepared to travel a reasonable distance to tutor you. Whether you want to be tutored at your house or mine is open to negotiation.

I can explain the content of your courses, the processes the BOS and UAC use (such as rankings, rank-1 advantage, moderation, alignment, scaling) help with all assessment tasks (including speeches, performances, prepared essays and exams, halfyearlys and trials), exam technique, essay writing, and share all my resources- notes, texts, assessment tasks, essays etc. I have had experience tutoring students (guitar), and at the moment it looks like I have two students lined up for academic tutoring.

[size=+2]Subjects I'm tutoring for[/size]

Drama , 95/100 (top 1 % of state)
I can bring your IP up to A-range quality (27+), my specialty is the performance option. I can direct you to suitable plays considering your abilities, strengths and interests. From there (or if you already have a script) we will workshop your performance in the areas of voice, movement, staging etc. all the while with a close eye on the marking criteria. Keep in mind I wrote a play for English ext 2, so I can also guide you if you’ve chosen the script option. I can give you advice as to the GP, but naturally I'd leave that to you and your group. For the written exams I studied Australian theatre (contemporary) with "Gary's House" and "7 stages". If your texts aren't these, not to worry- I will quickly read the plays you are studying. For the theatrical styles option I studied Brechtian or Epic theatre focusing on the plays "The Threepenny Opera" and "Mother Courage and her children". I can teach you how to write a drama essay as opposed to an English one.

English Ext 2, 50/50 (8th place in NSW)
I will help you along with all stages of the MW, from cooking up an entirely unique and clever idea that will really hit the markers where it hurts their egos because they didn’t think of it, to wrapping it up in some nice ribbons to send off to the board of studies. For my MW I wrote a script, so I guess script-writing is my specialty. However, regardless of your medium I still have a very informed opinion on all variety of literature and can help significantly with your piece. Also, the reflection statement is an important component of the MW, and I will help you craft an eloquent and clever reflection statement that will make all the difference for your result.

Mod History, 94/100 (top 2 % of state)
This was one of my favourite subjects and one which I consider myself quite talented at teaching. I promote a content and strategy based learning and I believe this is the best way to score marks in this course. What I mean by this, is having a thorough knowledge of the content of the course- dates, names and events- combined with an essay/exam strategy that closely fits the syllabus dot-points and rubric. The topics I studied were WW1, Germany, Albert Speer and the cold war. Since the end of the HSC I have also studied Russia, and conflict in Asia-pacific to the point where I’m confident to teach these to.

History Ext, 48/50 (10th place in NSW)
This difficult subject often catches out the best of students, and is considered by many to require the most skilful and researched essays. The historiographical concepts are often difficult to grasp and this is where some one-on-one tutoring is necessary. I have a wealth of resources and tips including a complete summary of the source-book- something you won’t find anywhere else. I studied the option of JFK and am currently working on learning the other popular options, so no matter what your combination, I can tutor you. The project is also one of the most daunting aspects of this course, your results in which will either make or break your internal mark. I placed 1st in my class by a significant margin, scoring 73/75. I will help you flesh out an original and interesting hypothesis, guide you through research, and critique your essay until we are both confident that it will score very highly. I see too many students who are studying this course without really knowing what it is about- make sure you're not one of them.

[size=+2]Subjects I did, but not that keen to tutor for[/size]

English Ext 1, 46/50 (top 10 % of state)
My option was postmodernism. I can help you get a good grip on this slippery topic. I will firstly introduce you to some of the main ideas/strands in the postmodernist movement, explain how these relate to your texts, teach you the many postmodern techniques (both for identification in texts and employment in your composition), and help you hone your essay-writing style to the high quality required for this course. The texts I studied are “Dead White Males”, “The French Lieutenant’s woman” and “Orlando”.

SOR 1, 45/50 (top 10 % of state)
This course is compulsory for many students who attend catholic schools. While it isn’t the most academic course, it is often difficult to score in the upper range. I intend to help students score highly without too excessive effort.

English Advanced, 87/100
Imaginative Journeys- The Tempest
In the Wild- The Golden Age and Throwim Way Leg
Cloudstreet
Birthday Letters (Ted Hughes)

I’ve also received a prestigious University of Sydney Scholarship, and can help students seek out scholarship opportunities and write impressive applications.

Contact: tutormatthew@gmail.com , or my mobile number is 0404 865 855

Last edited:

thatjazz

HSC
Guys, I just thought I'd let you know that Matt has been tutoring me for a while on some of my subjects and he is really, really good at making things clear, and I seriously recommend him to anyone looking for a tutor.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
haha, not exactly owned. I got 87 overall in English Advanced. You must remember that I didn't do any maths or sciences! I'll email you now.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
thread updated.

new editions of original post: I have decided that I have to specialize in regards to the subjects I tutor for. So English ext 1, SOR 1, and English Adv are not really subjects I'm willing to tutor for at the moment. I've made this decision with the idea that now and later on I'll be able to learn more topics within my special subjects and be able to teach them more proficiently etc. etc.

I've been having quite a few enquiries coming lately. Which reminds me, I've also included my mobile number in the updated post. You can contact me in that way if you wish.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
i too heartily recommend Matt :)

he really knows his JFK and Mod-ness

jeffreylah

HSC
I would like to tutor for modern history. Would the NSW state library, be a good spot for you?
Could you reply to me ASAP, cause iam returning back to school on the 3rd of may.
Thanks, i'll be waiting for your reply~

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
geez, I'd like to tutor you, but things are getting a bit busy for me. I'm not sure if I can take any more students on (I am tutoring 4 students at the moment). And you as well as another person have contacted me interested in tutoring... and I work full-time. If you only want one-off lessons, then maybe we could arrange that... My access to the internet is a little shaky at the moment, so if you wish to further discuss it, the best option would be to call me on my mobile (which is in my 1st post.)

thanks for your interest though, and I'm sorry about my reluctance.

Untill I say otherwise, I can't take on any more new students. Sorry.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
OK people, different story now! I am again opening the flood-gates to new students! At the moment I'm tutoring 3 students on a regular basis, and 2 less regular. I can handle a couple more at this point.

I'm also working on some exciting new resources for history extension that I'll make available exclusively to my students. I'm pouring all my spare time into getting them together, and can't wait to get them to my students when some are done. For example at the moment I'm working on "Understanding E.H. Carr", a pretentious title sure, but I think'll it'll be a very useful aid to studying his ideas on history.

So please, if you're interested in tutoring, for drama, english ext 2, modern history or History Ext, contact me either by email (tutormatthew@gmail.com), or my mobile (0404 865 855)

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
In the 2nd week of holidays I will be trying to get a week off work to concentrate on tutoring students for the impending trials. Please contact me if you're interested in some tutoring from July 12th-18th.

Matthew

huy17

HSC
hey matthew did you perform in ON STAGE? i remember someone from trinity doing that, was it you? which one were you?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
funnily enough, that was actually my brother in that group piece. He was the tall guy in the group piece that used a lot of percussive elements.

501n2u

HSC
Re: Tutor: Sydney. 2 state rankings. UAI-98.60. Eng Adv & ext 1+2, M-Hist, Hist-Ext,

hmm... say if I was interested in getting tuition for SOR1, maybe sometime next term just to buff up my skills for HSC, would that be possible?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Re: Tutor: Sydney. 2 state rankings. UAI-98.60. Eng Adv & ext 1+2, M-Hist, Hist-Ext,

I'm afraid I can't take on any more students at the moment. Sorry, but good luck in finding a tutor. There are some good ones on bos.

EDIT: update- I'm no longer tutoring at all. Don't bother asking.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)