UNSW Medical Student available for English, Maths and/or History tutoring. (1 Viewer)

SWSydneytutor

HSC
UNSW Medical Student available: English, Maths and History (SAMPLE NOTES INCLUDED)

Hey guys, my name is Lawson.

Recently completed my HSC with a UAI well in excess of 99, having gained top bands for all my subjects (got eight mentions on the DA list :D). I am going to be studying medicine/arts (MBBS/BA) at UNSW, and am tutoring:

- All four units of English
- Mathematics
- Modern History
- Extension History
- Chemistry

I charge reasonable rates. If groups are involved, the cost will be less.

My style of tutoring involves creating booklets for you covering each module in a series of three-four booklets. I am especially interested in tutoring English. Below, there are samples. I really do care to make neat and structured notes for those I help.

If you are interested, please PM me. I am located near Bankstown/Fairfield/Liverpool.

Regards,
Lawson

P.S. Some people have recently expressed concerns about whether I would be able to communicate effectively or not. I assure you that having done debating and public speaking, sport, being school captain etc. that I lead a life outside the textbook. I have also been incredibly humbled by my medical cohort by them electing me as first year rep.

Last edited:

alongcamedonna

HSC
Hmm...so you are doing Medicine at Uni. I really, really want to do Medicine after I finish my HSC this (lol that is if i actually get in)! So, I was wondering, how is it? How are you finding the course? Fun? Difficult? Interesting?

Also, you probably did the UMAT test? How was that if you don't mind. Can you actually study for it?

thanksssssssss.

HSC
Hmm...so you are doing Medicine at Uni. I really, really want to do Medicine after I finish my HSC this (lol that is if i actually get in)! So, I was wondering, how is it? How are you finding the course? Fun? Difficult? Interesting?

Also, you probably did the UMAT test? How was that if you don't mind. Can you actually study for it?

thanksssssssss.
You cannot 'study' for the UMAT.

PrettyVacant

HSC
:p You can definitely prepare yourself for the UMAT by doing lots of practise questions to "train" your mind into thinking how they want you to think.

And I disagree. You can definitely "study" for section 3, or at least improve dramatically just by recognising the patterns and stuff.

Btw to OP..I know you right? :)

SWSydneytutor

HSC
:p You can definitely prepare yourself for the UMAT by doing lots of practise questions to "train" your mind into thinking how they want you to think.

And I disagree. You can definitely "study" for section 3, or at least improve dramatically just by recognising the patterns and stuff.

Btw to OP..I know you right? :)
Yeah you know me, PV(C). Did you get any sleep last night? I think I'm going to use this area of BOS as a marketing tool now... my old account feels foreign to me!

And yes, you can study for the UMAT - not in the "learn the dotpoint" way, but rather, you should familiarise yourself with the format of the exam and the ways in which they will ask questions. I myself scored a pretty dismal UMAT score so I was quite lucky that my UAI and interview were able to pull me through. Learn from my mistake: I only really left UMAT preparation to the few days prior to the exam. :cold:

And I agree with PV about section three. Just for some quick reference: I scored 11/30 in a mock exam from a UMAT tuition centre, but after I learned some of the techniques, it was easily my best section and was so in the actual exam. However, you should learn that most medical universities have different ways of weighing the UMAT exam and deciding who is to be interviewed, and then accepted. (I'll just talk about the medical schools I was admitted to since I would have better knowledge of them.)

I will posted this advice in the medical/health sciences section of this website: http://community.boredofstudies.org...me-advice-so-im-posting-here.html#post4128021

EDIT: Ah, that's better.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Do I know you as well? You sound familiar...

alongcamedonna

HSC
MENSA quiz books...are they really that helpful? I was wondering, do you know where else i can get these apart from online. Dymocks, Angus and Robertson or Borders maybe?

My goal UAI was 95 for this year, but since you told me that the median was in the 99.00s, i am a little freaked out now. I guess I'll have to try harder then, but that means chaining myself to my desk for study purposes (jokes).

My back-up was to do Medical Science and then shift to Medicine (because I don't know if I can compete with people who get in the 99's). What di you thInK about that? Do you think that will work?

thanks.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Were you formerly Zephryio? lol

SWSydneytutor

HSC
MENSA quiz books...are they really that helpful? I was wondering, do you know where else i can get these apart from online. Dymocks, Angus and Robertson or Borders maybe?

My goal UAI was 95 for this year, but since you told me that the median was in the 99.00s, i am a little freaked out now. I guess I'll have to try harder then, but that means chaining myself to my desk for study purposes (jokes).

My back-up was to do Medical Science and then shift to Medicine (because I don't know if I can compete with people who get in the 99's). What di you thInK about that? Do you think that will work?

thanks.
Well of course studying med science and then transferring into medicine works. In fact, completing any degree and getting good enough marks in the GAMSAT (harder, freakier and more science-specific version of UMAT, not to scare you but it's the truth lol), the interview and of course your initial course.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I endorse this person - very passionate at teaching and he/she knows his stuff really well. And an excellent communicator!

Last edited:

drcw

HSC
N/A
hey
looking for mod history tutor, including extension.
I would prefer UNSW if it was ok with you as I have some other tutors there
can we arrange a lesson and see how it works, I can only do from 330 or 345 ish mon wed fri
j

Ashutosh

HSC
hey

i was wondering if you offer tutoring in 3 unit maths. I'm currently in Year 11 and I'm interested in your tutoring service if you offer 3 unit maths.

pm me or e-mail me at lil_ndn_hustler92@hotmail.com thanks. ashutosh

dp624

HSC
dude why do you have neg rep? lemme rep you

lolol you signed your name, making it obv who you are =P

Last edited:

SWSydneytutor

HSC
hey

i was wondering if you offer tutoring in 3 unit maths. I'm currently in Year 11 and I'm interested in your tutoring service if you offer 3 unit maths.

pm me or e-mail me at lil_ndn_hustler92@hotmail.com thanks. ashutosh
Hey there,

Sorry I do not offer tutoring in 3U maths, as I believe there are many other tutors who would do a better job.

Regards

nottellingu

HSC
You cannot 'study' for the UMAT.
You can study for any test, and by study i mean prepare. Its all bullshit how acer says u cannot prepare, thats what they want u to think.

Take two people, person A and person B and assume they have the same ability. Now person A rocks up to the test and just does it without any preparation. On the other hand person B does intensive preparation i.e. learns about arguments, fallacies(all that sort of s1 stuff), practices problem solving questions, understands the way acer want u to think for section 2, bulids up emotion vocabulary, learns how to tackle the various types of problems that can arise in section 3(pick the middle, next one in sequence ect.), does thousands of practice q's for each section and numerous practice exams under time constraints. Who do u think will do better ???

My *** u cant study for umat. How else can a person go from a score of 145 to 207 ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)