do u tink i can tutor wiv an uai of 90? (1 Viewer)

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
No
depends wat subject your tutoring in and wat marks you got in that subject.

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
what subjects are you thinking of tutoring? I think that you could tutor with UAI of 90

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
of course, depends which subjects, and for what grade. if you did 4u and are tutoring year 7 maths, that will be fine

jpk

i want to tutor math i got 90 for 3unit and 78 for 4unit??

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
i think its depends on how well you can explain subject, and not on the marks you got. for example you can get 99 in maths but you cant explain it or student cannot get it. with me its different i got band 4 for geography, but the boy which i tutor gets 98 for assesments.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
yeah, as long as you can explain it well, i don't think it matters too much what UAI you got :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by jpk
make sure you aren't tutoring 4u students. you will def be fine with 2u as long as you understand all the subjects. your marks are great, just from experience, i had a lady who had about as much knowledge as me, and not more, and she was useless. you need to have a superior amount of knowledge to the person you are tutoring, so what they find hard you find easy.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Originally posted by jpk
thats good enough for 2u and 3u....
cos it isnt how u go in an exam but how good u are at imparting the stuff and teaching it!
my tutor got lower maths scores than me but he's still a better tutor!

try the tutoring schools which hav uni aged tutors.. i got contacted less than 2 days after but had to turn it down cos i hav 1 too many jobs.. :( ..good luck!

andiman

marks are irrelevant.

i teach IT labs and classes at uni.
what is most important is your ability to communicate the curriculum material in a format that the student can understand and absorb in such a way that they learn and think and don't just remember. learning is about understanding something and then being able to take that understanding of knowledge and apply it to a problem in the real world and come up with a solution.

i know many people that have high distinction averages at uni (better than 85%) and while they might be very smart or intelligent, if they don't have the requisite communications skills (and many don't) then they make terrible teachers and the students suffer as a result.

so it comes down to this: if you know your stuff, and you have patience and can explain it to people in a structured way they can understand that leads them on the path of learning as opposed to pushing them all the way (teaching them to cram/remember instead of thinking) then you're ok to do the job.

</lecture></rant></$0.05>

cheers and good luck!

Andi.

p.s. uai's are a joke. its all a numbers game. don't use them as a guide for anything except for seeing whether you get into your uni course or not.

Last edited:

jpk

but the thing is, students that want to get tutored look at uai mark, if itz crap they underestimate you

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
that's true....they underestimate u if u have a low uai.....they want like 99 or 95+ or smthng these days.
But it's not like they're paying $30 an hr .......

For tutoring ppl, i was wondering how would u get paid per hr?
I know it's a private, cash in hand thing.....but what's the pay ppl usu. set? Esp if we're not like coaching colleges like preuni or watever.
Is it like $15 an hr? or $20 an hr? Considering it's not for like a James Ruse student.
Another thing, how would u find students? In the papers, net, family friends?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)